webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > MojoWhatsup (a Whatsapp client for webos)
MojoWhatsup (a Whatsapp client for webos)
Like Tree496Likes

Old 12/31/2012, 08:31 PM   #1221 (permalink)

Also one feature I was thinking, inspired from Outlook where you can drag an e-mail onto the calendar icon and create an event. What about incoming messages, in the context menu I can create a calendar event? First version would just put the chat text as description (exact way Outlook works), and a possible future expansion would be to use something similar to Google Calendar's logic to parse time and location info (e.g. when message says "10:30 AM Breakfast at Tiffany's" it would create an event just like that, etc.)

Thoughts?

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 07:20 AM   #1222 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

parsing feature is quite difficult because of the worldwide date/timeformats even if the template of what to parse is very strict. See Ubercalendar just type feature to add events:
UberCalendar: Enhanced calendar patch

I couldn't think how difficult it would be to parse free text. But great idea which could be usefull for messaging and email app as well.
gizmo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 07:44 AM   #1223 (permalink)

Just installed it on my Pre3 seeing how I was feeling like an outsider for being the only one using normal text messages... ;-)
Nice app, but i noticed some weirdness that i wanted to mention... Guess some might have been mentioned before, but there are to many posts to find out :-P

FIrst of all, contact management...
I got a message for a friend who's number I did not have yet and i was not able to store it from the app. Kinda annoying but not that bad.
Worse was that i added her number to her contact (which was imported from facebook). Seeing how facebook contacts are read only it generated a new google contact for her. Weirdly it creates a google contact without a name (not a problem with your app but with webos)... in webos this did no cause problems as the profiles are linked, but in your app she had no name cause it used the google name, which was empty.

Oh, and smilies show up fine in the messages but in the notifications and the area where i type they are just boxes. I guess it's a font problem...

Last edited by silentguy; 01/01/2013 at 08:15 AM.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 08:43 AM   #1224 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Also one feature I was thinking, inspired from Outlook where you can drag an e-mail onto the calendar icon and create an event. What about incoming messages, in the context menu I can create a calendar event? First version would just put the chat text as description (exact way Outlook works), and a possible future expansion would be to use something similar to Google Calendar's logic to parse time and location info (e.g. when message says "10:30 AM Breakfast at Tiffany's" it would create an event just like that, etc.)

Thoughts?
It sounds interesting, but please DON'T add this feature, because in my opinion it's too heavy for a whatsapp client. I can't really explain but this feature is unnecessary
nfsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 08:59 AM   #1225 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
Just installed it on my Pre3 seeing how I was feeling like an outsider for being the only one using normal text messages... ;-)
Nice app, but i noticed some weirdness that i wanted to mention... Guess some might have been mentioned before, but there are to many posts to find out :-P

FIrst of all, contact management...
I got a message for a friend who's number I did not have yet and i was not able to store it from the app. Kinda annoying but not that bad.
Worse was that i added her number to her contact (which was imported from facebook). Seeing how facebook contacts are read only it generated a new google contact for her. Weirdly it creates a google contact without a name (not a problem with your app but with webos)... in webos this did no cause problems as the profiles are linked, but in your app she had no name cause it used the google name, which was empty.

Oh, and smilies show up fine in the messages but in the notifications and the area where i type they are just boxes. I guess it's a font problem...
When you edit the profile, hit the Profile type icon next to the name to change to the Google profile. Enter the name there.

Box smileys has already been explained a page ago, webOS limitation. Can't put graphics in a text box.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Liked by pepebuho likes this.
Old 01/04/2013, 07:04 AM   #1226 (permalink)

So is this coming out of alpha status yet and maybe moving into Preware?
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 07:33 AM   #1227 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
So is this coming out of alpha status yet and maybe moving into Preware?
I don't think MojoWhatsup can be considered alpha at all, and yes, I'd prefer having it in Preware. But perhaps it's better to keep it as hidden as possible: Remember, WhatsApp owners have already shut down other unofficial clients.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jimbode likes this.
Old 01/04/2013, 10:15 AM   #1228 (permalink)

Yeahh you're right jcmarcos and I love the MojoWhatsup app...so it sounds logical that amoralico not uploads (and hopefully not do that) this app to Preware catalog!!!

HP
Prē 3 + webOS 2.2.4 / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + iOS 6.1.3 / Palm LifeFlash Sandisk + SDHC 32Gb
sshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 10:32 AM   #1229 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Box smileys has already been explained a page ago, webOS limitation. Can't put graphics in a text box.
Perhaps an update of the Prelude.ttf font could help as preview of an emoij smilie in a text box (like done in android):
Emoji Emoticon display in Messaging App?
Old 01/04/2013, 02:08 PM   #1230 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Perhaps an update of the Prelude.ttf font could help as preview of an emoij smilie in a text box (like done in android):
Emoji Emoticon display in Messaging App?
Sounds interesting. Have you already tried it out? I would do it myself but don't know where the Prelude.ttf file is located on the phone
nfsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 02:14 PM   #1231 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
I don't think MojoWhatsup can be considered alpha at all, and yes, I'd prefer having it in Preware. But perhaps it's better to keep it as hidden as possible: Remember, WhatsApp owners have already shut down other unofficial clients.
Maybe the Preware alpha or beta feeds, since they require some extra work on the part of the user, so not every casual Preware user would see it. Just a thought.

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jimbode likes this.
Old 01/04/2013, 02:58 PM   #1232 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
The Meego versions still going strong, actually. Both Yappari and Wazapp (which MWU is based on).
Old 01/04/2013, 05:26 PM   #1233 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsracer View Post
Sounds interesting. Have you already tried it out? I would do it myself but don't know where the Prelude.ttf file is located on the phone
The fonts are in /usr/share/fonts (also in the doctors). I alread copied two symbols from the droid font to a prelude font (to the right U+<place> positions and saved it again as ttf using fontforge.
But sadly the new letters do not even show up in windows typetable so far (the droid font does show all emoji). The tool fontforge is ubermighty, if someone has a hint i'm open for comments...

So no i have not tried it on the Pre so far and i even don't know exactly which font is used in Mojowhatsup or Messages in the text box (i assumed Prelude-Medium.ttf). Also i don't know what happens if the font is not correctly read by webOS cause of other ttf saving options used (will i have unusable device without UI?).

Fonts available on board the Pre
Thanked By: sshaka
Old 01/05/2013, 09:19 AM   #1234 (permalink)

Quote:
The Meego versions still going strong, actually. Both Yappari and Wazapp (which MWU is based on).
As far as I know there are two requirements to put an app in Preware that are not easy to fulfill:
1) App domain must not be com.palm. MojoWhatsup has to be a com.palm app because is the only way (to my knowledge) to have read permision on the contact or people database.
2) The source code must be public. As jcmarcos commented I also think it is not a good idea at this moment.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by amoralico; 01/05/2013 at 10:03 AM.
amoralico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 09:59 AM   #1235 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
The fonts are in /usr/share/fonts (also in the doctors). I alread copied two symbols from the droid font to a prelude font (to the right U+<place> positions and saved it again as ttf using fontforge.
But sadly the new letters do not even show up in windows typetable so far (the droid font does show all emoji). The tool fontforge is ubermighty, if someone has a hint i'm open for comments...

So no i have not tried it on the Pre so far and i even don't know exactly which font is used in Mojowhatsup or Messages in the text box (i assumed Prelude-Medium.ttf). Also i don't know what happens if the font is not correctly read by webOS cause of other ttf saving options used (will i have unusable device without UI?).

Fonts available on board the Pre
I've added the DroidSansFallback font to the /usr/share/fonts folder and restarted the device. I've also changed the font-family style for the message textfield on MojoWhatsup to "Droid Sans Fallback", and I have to say that emojis are shown (see attached image). The only problem I found is that only emojis with U+Exxx code are supported by this font. The rest of the emojis are not shown but anyway this is better than what we had before.

The textfield font-family and the new header you can see in the picture will be included in a next version of MojoWhatsup.
Attached Images
File Type: png mojowhatsup_2013-05-01_164126.png (55.7 KB, 50 views) Email Attachment
Thanked by gizmo21, sshaka
Old 01/05/2013, 10:35 AM   #1236 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

hhm that's also a way seems to be the easier one.

[Update] you are right i also only find the E- emojis, but that where all that where also listed here (which i thought were all ).

The 1F- and 2- are missing, don't know where to get them from. Perhaps there is an updated font to thos one

There different emoji encoding tables (softbank,docomo....), see wiki article.
Here are the 1F: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F300.pdf

I also didn't think this thing was so non-standard scattered.

Last edited by gizmo21; 01/05/2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01/05/2013, 10:37 AM   #1237 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoralico View Post
As far as I know there are two requirements to put an app in Preware that are not easy to fulfill:
1) App domain must not be com.palm. MojoWhatsup has to be a com.palm app because is the only way (to my knowledge) to have read permision on the contact or people database.
2) The source code must be public. As jcmarcos commented I also think it is not a good idea at this moment.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Requirement #1 is only for the HP App Catalog. There are a number of com.palm.* apps in Preware, including my own SMS Forward/Reply app, because it had to be com.palm in order to subscribe to SMS notifications.

Requirement #2 is incorrect - at least for the main app feed. I'm not sure about the alpha/beta feeds. They quite possibly could be different. There are numerous licenses select-able in the PreCentral app submission form, one of which is closed source. If none of the licenses are applicable, there is an 'other' selection.

There may be different rules for other Preware feeds, but for submitting an app for the PreCentral, er, webOSNation (can you tell I've been here a while?) feed, that is what's on the app submission form.

Edit: removed a bunch of stuff that may not apply, since the main goal is to make it available but not in the primary feeds, so it stays off Whatsapp's radar.

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/05/2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Deleted a bunch of possibly irrelevant stuff
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 12:07 PM   #1238 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

As the wiki-article states windows 7 can display the missing emojis directly in the browser using Segoe UI Semibold:
http://thommck.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/youve-got-emoji-smilie-characters-discovered-in-a-font
An update for the Segoe UI symbol font in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 is available

Perhaps this can be a way together with Fontforge, but i have only winXP.
Old 01/05/2013, 12:25 PM   #1239 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post

Edit: removed a bunch of stuff that may not apply, since the main goal is to make it available but not in the primary feeds, so it stays off Whatsapp's radar.
And exactly that's the point, neither MWU nor Preware-Servers should be taken down because of legal issues.

And it is available at no problems for the the usual John-Preware-Doe. If one can install Preware, he can install MWU too.

For those that only own the phone (not the forum guys) and get an app by app-catalog, it will be never available, because of com.palm.app

Last edited by gizmo21; 01/05/2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01/05/2013, 04:52 PM   #1240 (permalink)

First of all, whatsapp changed their payment model. They are moving to a USD 1 / 1 EUR per year fee for an account and keep the app more or less free of charge. So the app store based finance model will die.

Just curious, did sb ever tried to get some kind of accepted but not supported state by whatsapp? Actually webos aint a big community but it is one more logo on their homepage for a plattform with a working client. Same for meego.
nichtwirklich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chat, mojowhatsup, whatssapp

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0