Page 137 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3787127132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 2831
Like Tree737Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Powersoft View Post
    But the very point is, that the userbase is in whatsapp and not in any other telegram or whatsoever stuff.
    Yes, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough. It is certainly advantageous to support the popular stuff AND even more advantageous to offer a choice.

If your friend on [insert major OS here] has the app and [insert popular messenger] breaks for you on [insert minor OS], then they don't have to get a new app, they just plug in [new service] to connect to you while continuing to use [popular messenger] with everyone else. As there will likely be friends in common, a percentage of [popular messenger] users will also be using [new service]. If there is a more general problem with [popular], [new] is already in use and the migration continues.

Maybe the analogy is a bit like switching from wifi hotspot to mobile data - each has it's benefits and you use what is best or available. Once you used cabled internet (and phone) and mobile calling. Now there is wifi and mobile data. In some cities, it might be possible to skype over hotspots and do without cell service just as it's possible to use mobile data only for internet access. People use what suits them, but it may be that hotspots & VOIP take over from mobile calling. Then there's mesh...but that's off-topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    If your friend on [insert major OS here] has the app and [insert popular messenger] breaks for you on [insert minor OS], then they don't have to get a new app, they just plug in [new service] to connect to you while continuing to use [popular messenger] with everyone else. As there will likely be friends in common, a percentage of [popular messenger] users will also be using [new service]. If there is a more general problem with [popular], [new] is already in use and the migration continues.
    I see what you mean but I think that for many (?most) users this model would be unrealistic. The beauty of mojoWhatsapp was that it enabled us (webOS users) to message dozens of contacts, by no means all of them close friends or family, when we wished to.
    While I can probably persuade my daughter to "plug in a new service" on her (urgh) iPhone, I certainly can't do that with many other contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Google calendar is being addressed (personally anyway I use the hotmail calendar on the pre3, and works like a charm. Don't see a single reason to stick with google when there are good alternatives.. all in all is just a calendar)

for calendar, I connect to my zimbra server, which is awesome !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranoulph View Post
    I see what you mean but I think that for many (?most) users this model would be unrealistic. The beauty of mojoWhatsapp was that it enabled us (webOS users) to message dozens of contacts, by no means all of them close friends or family, when we wished to.
    While I can probably persuade my daughter to "plug in a new service" on her (urgh) iPhone, I certainly can't do that with many other contacts.
    I'm not saying it would be easy. Like changing your email address or phone number, you can send your updated contact info to all your contacts, but some just won't get around to updating their records. But having entered the new data, communication is as easy as it was before.

In this hypothetical app, you would also need to sign up to a new service, then from a menu, select to have messages from the new service display inline with whatsapp. A few won't want to, some will put it off / forget. There will always be some resistance. My suggestion is simply trying to reduce it as far as possible by placing and displaying different services in one app, synergy style.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanma_1980 View Post
    It looks great. It has a python core compatible with python 2.6+ and I've finded python 2.6.5 for webos but openwhatsapp needs the python-dateutil module and it seems that isn't available right now for webos.
    If I've time (a lot of work, daughter and family...) I'll take a look to it.

Dependencies for yowsup (the python library):

Requires python2.6+, or python3.0 +
    Required python packages: python-dateutil,
    Required for encryption: protobuf, pycrypto, python-axolotl-curve25519

Required python packages for yowsup-cli: argparse, readline (or pyreadline for windows), pillow (for sending images)

Make a test will be "as simple" as compile the required python modules and launch the "yowsup-cli" from a webos terminal. If that works all the work will be again "as simple" as make the UI, the sinergy integration...etc..etc... It looks great but I don't wanna throw any hooray, it'll be a hard road and perhaps ends on a no-go
    Compiling all needed packages is complex way, as most probably you will give up trying to satisfy all dependencies and to pack results to ipks.
    I think the simplest way is to use chroot method. In this case, chroot doesn't use any resources except storage for image. So you can get yowsup runnig as simple as execute this in the ubuntuchroot:
    Code:
    cd /home
    apt-get update
    apt-get install git gcc
    apt-get install python-setuptools python-dev
    git clone https://github.com/tgalal/yowsup
    cd yowsup
    python setup.py install
    If you don't have ubuntuchroot(seems it needs to be updated to 12.04) or don't want to depend on it in future(it is very big dependency for such app), I think the best way is to create minimal system image using something like openembedded(btw it's very easy to compile these packages for LuneOS).
    I don't use whatsapp, so can't test this, but it should work.

Good luck in making gui. For now webOS users can feel themselves like real linux geeks while chatting in console.
    PS. I agree with Preemptive and dkirker that it's better to switch to open source alternatives.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    joshua764 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mypalmpred View Post
    for calendar, I connect to my zimbra server, which is awesome !!
    what is a zimbra server? never heard of it...
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Hello,

I just found an interesting article, if you can read German:

Krasses WhatsApp-Update: Messenger jetzt komplett verschl├╝sselt - CHIP

The English article:

https://whispersystems.org/blog/whatsapp/

I seems that WhatsApp found a partner for end to end encryption of messages. The WA partner is TextSecure, they use the protocol Axolotl-Ratchet, which has been implemented into the newest version. I don┤t know if this could help us for the development of MojoWhatsup...

Best regards
    This was tweeted by Doug Reeder:
    WhatsApp cofounder: Sorry developers, no API for you

I suppose it has no effect on the current proposed solutions, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Powersoft View Post
    what is a zimbra server? never heard of it...
    zimbra is an open source free alternative to MS Exchange. Everyone in our company is on it, and my Pre3 integrates seemlessly (email, calendar, phonebk)
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Hello,

Is there news regarding MojoWhatsUp?

Kind regards

Fred :-)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    ya veo que esto se ha enfriado y no vamos a tener whatsapp en webos.
    Por favor que alguien haga la aplicacion aunque sea de pago.
    vuelve amoralico te necesitamos.

I see that this has cooled down and we will not have whatsapp in webos.
    Please someone do the application even in payment.
    back amoralico you need.
    Hi, not really Mojo, but i side-installed the regular (Android) Whatsapp in ACL for WebOS on my Touchpad and that works great!

Makes my Pre2 and Touchpad inseparable
    Hi, not really Mojo, but i side-installed the regular (Android) Whatsapp in ACL for WebOS on my Touchpad and that works great!

beautiful, acl should however also work on pre.....
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Not yet. But I tried ACL on my TouchPad. I did not like it. I could install WhatsApp on my TouchPad into the Android partition. But I prefer to have WhatsApp on my mobile. And the TouchPad is not really a mobile...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    It's beta, slow, only for "bleeding edge testing and playing"... and requires a big virtual disk partition (It's hardly practical for EU phones with just 8GB of storage)

This said, this "this can drastically reduce the life-time of your flash memory, " is what blocked me from installing it. I don't want my pre3 to last less....
    Last edited by mazzinia; 04/15/2015 at 11:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mypalmpred View Post
    zimbra is an open source free alternative to MS Exchange. Everyone in our company is on it, and my Pre3 integrates seemlessly (email, calendar, phonebk)
    I need help to use the ZIMBRA Server at my HP Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by poehoes View Post

hey poehoes - I sent you a pm, cause I have a couple of questions.

Regards,
    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB