View Poll Results: What kind of game would you like to see developed?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tower Defence

7 43.75%
  • 2D side scrolling

3 18.75%
  • 2D character fighter

1 6.25%
  • Strategy

11 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By anthonybennis
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Rockbeast
  • 3 Post By anthonybennis
  • 1 Post By sarlo100
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm an app developer looking to gauge users interest before starting on my next application. A number of game genres suit tablets very well, but from a webOS point of view, what would you like to see?
    jaredruiz likes this.
    I like a nice strategy game. Set up and defend territory sort of thing. Play can be simple or complex. Building up capability over rounds of play and conquering the world always immerses me and I find it relaxing...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Tower defense is always on my list. I think there is a game called Robot Tower Defense or something like that in the Android (and probably Applie) stores. You had to create blockages with the placement of your towers which made the path taken by the enemy units change...and you could of course update a placed tower to be more powerful...I liked that game. Anyway, those are some of my thoughts...not all of them...I do have 2 or three other thoughts in my head...mostly about puppies...and rainbows.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I like a nice strategy game. Set up and defend territory sort of thing. Play can be simple or complex. Building up capability over rounds of play and conquering the world always immerses me and I find it relaxing...
    defender of the crown meets risk meets tower defense.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    A nice 2D-side scroller would be nice.
    an RTS would be a tall order

a strategy game, even turn based is nice
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    A strategy game that makes you think and analyze would be great.
    anyone ever play the old DOS game Castles II:Seige and Conquest? That's the sort of RTS-type game I can see playing well on a tablet. It has many of the RTS elements - gathering resources, fielding an army, conquering territory, but without the fiddling with individual villagers/builders/units. You're a king, you don't get involved in the minutiae... you say what is to be done, and it gets done or heads start hitting the ground.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for voting and the replies.

Looks like Strategy is the clear winner from the choices above. I was a fan of Civilization on the PC. Maybe some stripped down variant of that. (Or something completely different if the ownerw lawyers are reading :d)

I had a look at the current set of games available on the TouchPad. Some really impressive looking ones out there... but their numbers are small. I reckon maybe 12 at most. Opportunity, or blatant sign the Platform is not worth supporting? For independent developers like myself, I don't see why you wouldn't support every platform you can. I use a HTML5 technology mix, and technically, that opens up almost every platform. (Plug: Keep an eye out for my new App next week: "Run Planner"
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    A Civ/Civ II (Civ II was much better) variant would be a worthy game, and one I'd pay for. That would be a great way to burn time in an airport or on a flight, and a good deal of the people still involved with the platform played long games of Civ at some point in their lives, I'm quite sure.
    geekpeter likes this.
    I'd like some game that's 3D and fully explorable. Models should have a good number of polygons (no obvious sharp corners), hardware permitting. And no invisible walls (NOVA 2 has tons of invisible walls and kill walls). It'd be cool if keyboard owners can use the keyboard to control the game, and mess around with a developer's console. Also would be nice if it supports mods (regardless, I'll be staring at whatever file format you're using and trying to make something different).
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonybennis View Post
    Thanks for voting and the replies.

Looks like Strategy is the clear winner from the choices above. I was a fan of Civilization on the PC. Maybe some stripped down variant of that. (Or something completely different if the ownerw lawyers are reading :d)

I had a look at the current set of games available on the TouchPad. Some really impressive looking ones out there... but their numbers are small. I reckon maybe 12 at most. Opportunity, or blatant sign the Platform is not worth supporting? For independent developers like myself, I don't see why you wouldn't support every platform you can. I use a HTML5 technology mix, and technically, that opens up almost every platform. (Plug: Keep an eye out for my new App next week: "Run Planner"
    Have you had any more thoughts or progress on the idea of a strategy game?

Also, has 'Run Planner' come out, and tell us a bit more about that.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Have you had any more thoughts or progress on the idea of a strategy game?

Also, has 'Run Planner' come out, and tell us a bit more about that.
    I didn't think anyone picked up on that. RunPlanner is delayed for another four weeks. I've completed a usability study of it, and it needs some tweaking before it's ready for market. It'll be available as an offline app on Tablet platforms (iOS, webOS, Android) as well as the Chrome Store as an online app. More details on release date. But as you may guess from the title, it's a running related application

In the mean time, I've been busy evaluating existing strategy games and have started the initial concept phase. I'll be building on an existing open source framework to speed up development time, but I estimate a 6 month development period for v1.0.

For me, it's important that it's quick to pick up and get straight into the action. Long learning curves and complicated user interface elements are maybe fine for a PC, but tablet users are more casual, and don't spend hours playing at a time (at any rate, the blood stops going to your hands at some point from holding the tab up for so long). I won't give away much more than that, but the concept so far takes a novel approach to the genre and hopefully people will be pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonybennis View Post
    I didn't think anyone picked up on that. RunPlanner is delayed for another four weeks. I've completed a usability study of it, and it needs some tweaking before it's ready for market. It'll be available as an offline app on Tablet platforms (iOS, webOS, Android) as well as the Chrome Store as an online app. More details on release date. But as you may guess from the title, it's a running related application

In the mean time, I've been busy evaluating existing strategy games and have started the initial concept phase. I'll be building on an existing open source framework to speed up development time, but I estimate a 6 month development period for v1.0.

For me, it's important that it's quick to pick up and get straight into the action. Long learning curves and complicated user interface elements are maybe fine for a PC, but tablet users are more casual, and don't spend hours playing at a time (at any rate, the blood stops going to your hands at some point from holding the tab up for so long). I won't give away much more than that, but the concept so far takes a novel approach to the genre and hopefully people will be pleasantly surprised.
    Good luck on Run Planner and the strategy game. No worries about the timing, it is nice to see folks developing for webOS too. Thank you for that, and we'll probably be hanging around here somewhere when you have something ready to test or try...lots of capable people happy to give you some testing support here...If you take out the 'capable' part, I'm one of them!