1.    #1  
    My girlfriend complained about her touchpad that she can open pdf attachments but not word and if I can help her fix it. Turns out that my touchpad does the same thing. It seems to open .doc but not docx . Just says an error occurred and of cousre no mention of what the cause of the error might be. Any ideas?
    *.DOC is the older version of Word file that is almost universally supported. *.DOCX is the new format Word uses, and it isn't even nearly as well supported. Even older versions of Office don't support it without a specific add-on.

So, chances are, not much you can do unless you have CM/Android installed or can convince the app developer for an update to the webOS version.
    it is impossible to tell why you are getting error without access to your DOCX file. Upload it somewhere if possible and post link to it
    At least you can open files. The phone QO is completely broke. (so I installed the TP version from App Tuckerbox)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    *.DOC is the older version of Word file that is almost universally supported. *.DOCX is the new format Word uses, and it isn't even nearly as well supported. Even older versions of Office don't support it without a specific add-on.

So, chances are, not much you can do unless you have CM/Android installed or can convince the app developer for an update to the webOS version.
    .DOCX is almost 6 years old and is now well supported. QO opens fine docx files (on both TP & Pre)
    Now for unknown reasons it fails opening some documents (it may depend on the formatting or the software used to create them).

And documents created via QO are X type (docX, xlsX)
    Quick Office can definitely open .DOCX files, I just tested it on my Touchpad. So it is more likely there is an incompatibility in the file(s) your are trying to open.

I personally prefer Picsel Smart Office, I have had much better luck with it opening files corretly. It is in the App Catalog as a very resonable price.