Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdram
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I see that Splashtop Remote for the TP has been updated to version 1.3.2 in the app catalog. Has anyone tried it to see what the changes are?

I hesitate to try any updates from Splashtop since they burned users by eliminating their Google remote login feature and adding a subscription pricing model with desktop version 2.0 earlier this year. Fortunately I kept desktop version 1.7, but it nags me to update to version 2.0 every time I run it now.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    So far I haven't had any issues except a message saying I was using an old version of the streamer. I updated the streamer to 2.0.0.8 and everything works the same. I believe the subscription model is only for iOS and android devices using remote 2.0.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The new 2.0 subscription model applies to anyone who wants to access the desktop streamer over the internet more easily than using IP address/port number with port forwarding. Prior to version 2.0 Splashtop allowed you to do this using a free Google log-in. In version 2.0 they have replaced this with a service using their own servers, and you have to pay a monthly subscription fee for it. It doesn't affect people staying within a home network.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    The new 2.0 subscription model applies to anyone who wants to access the desktop streamer over the internet more easily than using IP address/port number with port forwarding. Prior to version 2.0 Splashtop allowed you to do this using a free Google log-in. In version 2.0 they have replaced this with a service using their own servers, and you have to pay a monthly subscription fee for it. It doesn't affect people staying within a home network.
    That doesn't apply to the webOS version though. Splashtop 2 is only available for iOS and Android.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    That doesn't apply to the webOS version though. Splashtop 2 is only available for iOS and Android.
    Yes, it does affect to the WebOS version. You can't use free Google login to sync with desktop streamer version 2.0 any more, so if you updated your desktop, you've lost that capability, even if it still exists on the WebOS end.
    its a shame because ive tried our "normal" splashtop and android/ios v2 and its not like theres even a speed difference to warrant the update, plus you still get frozen/stuck or unresponsive keys when using a BT keyboard on every version on all 3 devices/OS.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/02/2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Yes, it does affect to the WebOS version. You can't use free Google login to sync with desktop streamer version 2.0 any more, so if you updated your desktop, you've lost that capability, even if it still exists on the WebOS end.
    I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it's incorrect. Did you actually try this, or are you guessing? You're confusing Splashtop remote 2 with Splashtop streamer 2.0. webOS devices don't run remote 2, we're running 1.3.8. Splashtop streamer 2.0.0.8 still allows for google logins. Please see my screenshots below. I don't use the google login because I have a static public IP address.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    geekpeter likes this.
    the fact that their "new" streamer works even with our older webOS version and the version(s) before that simply means their "new" streamer does nothing but facilitate their new pay-for system, i cant see any improvements/updates/fixes/feature addins other than their "give us cash" addition.

In fact im looking at the ios/android/webos versions now and cant actually tell them apart asides from the fact that the ios one seems to have an option to auto toggle quality according to network load (tho that may be in them all but without a toggle???).
    still works for me. I'm running the latest streamer on my desktop, and the latest splashtop hd 1.3.2 on my touchpad, and the google login feature works perfectly. Have you been to the Advanced tab in the streamer preferences? the google login function is there. quit arguing with people and try it.
    geekpeter,

I have one machine where the streamer just did not work properly at all, and it's working reasonably decently now that it's updated to v2.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    geekpeter,

I have one machine where the streamer just did not work properly at all, and it's working reasonably decently now that it's updated to v2.
    yeah sorry i meant with the new streamer even the old "on device" apps still worked, so it cant really be that new or enhanced if the older v1.x apps on webOS still function exactly the same as the android and ios v2.x - that and the performance of all 3 running through the v2 streamer are pretty much the same, considering all that, to me at least the v2 streamer seemingly only adds in their pay4 service which wasnt needed or requested by anyone.

our webOS ones still as fully functional as the "new" android/ios ones tbh, and doesnt have any speed optimisations that are noticable, and on all 3 the bluetooth keyboards still lag/stick or stutter making them useless for anything involving holding down the keys, its basically mouse/point and click only that dont mess up.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    still works for me. I'm running the latest streamer on my desktop, and the latest splashtop hd 1.3.2 on my touchpad, and the google login feature works perfectly. Have you been to the Advanced tab in the streamer preferences?
    Thanks for answering my original question!

I didn't want to try it because the update may be irreversible. Non-TP users complained that the Google login is gone, and in Splashtop's own support forums their official answer to those asking about it was that everyone will have to switch to their new subscription system. There wasn't a word about WebOS.