Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

What is the best way to watch DVD's on the touchpad? This is primarily for travel purposes, so streaming or linking to a PC is not an option.

I know I need to transfer the DVD movies to the touchpad, but do they need to be converted to another format first? If so, which converter is best. I don't mind paying a little.

From there, what viewer/player is best? Or, perhaps there is a player that will play DVD's that are copied over as is? Meaning, without conversion first?

Thanks!
    Last edited by we5inelgr; 08/04/2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Corrected some spelling
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

So, it appears that you use Kalemsoft's Media Player to watch DVD movies on the touchpad without converting them first. Basically, all I need to do is 1) Get Kalemsoft's Media Player on the TouchPad and 2) Copy the DVD as is, over to the TouchPad and I can watch without any other steps. Right?
  3.    #4  
    Also, do I need something like MakeMKV to decrypt DVD's?
  4.    #5  
    I guess, bottom line, is there a 1 stop shop type app that will allow DVD movies (even the encrypted ones) to be viewable on the TouchPad?

Seems like there are so many options, opinions and apps out there.
    Just attach an external DVD drive using the USB OTG solution. You're set then and it works like a charm.
    I strongly suggest not copying the DVDs as is, because that takes up a lot of space, usually about 4 GB per movie.
    One of the most popular and best applications for ripping DVDs (and general transcoding) is Handbrake - but Handbrake does not remove copy protection and I don't know if it is allowed to link to such tools here..?
  7.    #8  
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

One other thing...

What folder, on the TouchPad, do I copy the ripped DVD to? The only movie I could find that was alredy on there was in this folder: \DCIM\100PALM
    Is that the default movie folder?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    I strongly suggest not copying the DVDs as is, because that takes up a lot of space, usually about 4 GB per movie.
    One of the most popular and best applications for ripping DVDs (and general transcoding) is Handbrake - but Handbrake does not remove copy protection and I don't know if it is allowed to link to such tools here..?
    I use DVDShrink (free) to strip the DRM before converting my vids with Handbrake.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    When I want to transfer a movie to the TP, I copy the DVD to PC first with AnyDVD, then use Handbrake to covert it because the default settings provide a good combination of size and quality. The mp4 output format from Handbrake is directly compatible with the TP and most other devices, but unfortunately most devices choke on mp4 files that include surround sound and alternate language sound tracks, so I sometimes use mkv format for those. Kalemsoft Media Player can play the mkv files directly on the TP.

A good site to explore video conversion options and free tools in general is http://www.videohelp.com. You might also want to check Giveaway of the Day every day for a while because they often post free giveaways of all-in-one ripping and converting tools that do a decent job of DVD -> mp4 in one step. DVD Shrink was a nice tool in its day, but it's way too old now to handle most copy-protected DVDs, and it doesn't do H.264 compression or mp4 output.