webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Caveman HD (v1.0) - now available for TouchPad!
Caveman HD (v1.0) - now available for TouchPad!
Like Tree20Likes

Old 07/17/2012, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Caveman is a game where the goal is to guide Cavemen to the exit on the level.

Cavemen enter the level through an open hatch and walk aimlessly to their death or around in circles following the path outlined - specific skills can be assigned to Cavemen to create a new path and help guide the others to the designated exit. The following skill sets are available:
  • CLIMBER: scale those walls
  • FLOATER: float down to safety
  • EXPLODER: pop!
  • BLOCKER: block the path
  • BUILDER: build a bridge
  • BASHER: bash a horizontal path
  • MINER: mine a diagonal path
  • DIGGER: dig a vertical path

Each level has a set of requirements to complete where a combination of skillsets may need to be used to solve the level - there is more than one solution available; how many cavemen can you save! With four difficulty levels (easy, medium, obscure, insane) and 120 levels this game is guaranteed to bring you hours of enjoyment and gaming addiction!

$4.99 USD
https://developer.palm.com/appredire...1up.caveman-hd
ardiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

this is not lemmings in the same way the great giana sisters is not mario.

either way, looks good
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz and sledge007 like this.
Old 07/17/2012, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
this is not lemmings in the same way the great giana sisters is not mario. either way, looks good
shh don't mention "lemmings" - for some history as to how this app came about:

http://www.mobile1up.com/lemmings/blog/

nuff said *g*
Old 07/17/2012, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Will be buying for sure! Love your games!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

for another game with a very suicidal rodent like similarity, also see.

Chaneques : Hall Of Light The database of Amiga games

i remember getting that as well ages ago on an Almathera CD PD, on my amiga years back, wasnt too bad either.

of all conversions/remakes/retro action id love to see, i need my paradroid fix from somewhere, its fine using freedroid on the pc but i need an updated mobile equivalent

if anyone also knows what Total Wormage later became known as, then maybe thats in for a revamp as well?
Old 07/17/2012, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Interesting - the one platform they are NOT developing for is Android. I wonder why not.

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
Interesting - the one platform they are NOT developing for is Android. I wonder why not.

Alan
I'm curious too now that you mention it, any chance the OP wants to share?
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 07/17/2012, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
fif anyone also knows what Total Wormage later became known as, then maybe thats in for a revamp as well?
I do, but I'm also a long-time Amiga user so I have a bit of a historical advantage

$5 is a little pricey for an app, but I've been looking for Lemmings on a modern platform and this is close enough. Better that my dollars go here than Apple!
Matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cujoq37, OldSkoolVWLover and geekpeter like this.
Old 07/17/2012, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan sh View Post

Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
rejected from googles market due to its er similar nature to another game perhaps? or maybe down to whatever they made/compiled it in?

does seem a bit weird, they would certainly reach more paying customers that way, not that im complaining, we still somehow managed to get a port, and even at just under five quid, ill take anything new thats play/useable, im far from stingy esp when you consider the hardware/userbase situation were in.
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 07/17/2012, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Agreed completely. Especially from a developer that has brought us fun games in the past.

I paid 5 bucks for another app when it released, don't really need it that much, but it works, the dev put in the work and it can be useful.
Old 07/18/2012, 01:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
why no android? four (+1 new with edit) points to note:

1. fragmentation
2. monetization question
3. ability to go pure native
4. size limit on android market

first; the platform is fragmented, so many different screen sizes to deal with and there is a problem when it comes to being able to identify a reliable OS base (2.2, 3.0, 4.0+?) - most carriers/manufacturers do not provide OS updates. also, to ensure good quality, we would need to work with all the main devices, testing et al = costs lots of money. you can check the fragmentation of the OS here:

Dashboards | Android Developers

second; most android phones are subsidized and the general user population is not willing to pay for applications; it is very simple to root android devices, and piracy is rampant. but this isn't the main hurdle for us not to provide an android version.

third; due to issue #1, to go true native; you had to mess around with JNI calls in the early days, but as of 2.3+, you can use NativeActitivy (which, does make things a little easier)

NativeActivity | Android Developers

the bottom line is that we've put our focus on platforms that had a good monetization ecosystem - now with the Kindle Fire (amazon store et al); android is definitely an option for us to consider, there is no technical reason why we would not support it. in fact, with Windows Phone 8 announcing support for C/C++ applications - it is also on our list. the great news is we do not have to modify the game at all - just provide the platform layer

edit: lastly; there was a 50MB size limit for the google app market, so any app larger had to host the additional resources themselves and it would be an initial download after install - this has since been lifted; most developers i have heard about have complained they are paying for hosting of pirated apps instead of just the paid ones - the increase also meansCaveman HD is now officially feasible on android.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google...imit-upped-4gb

i hope that answers your questions

Last edited by ardiri; 07/18/2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: added info about 50Mb limit, now removed! :)
Old 07/18/2012, 01:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
$5 is a little pricey for an app, but I've been looking for Lemmings on a modern platform and this is close enough. Better that my dollars go here than Apple!
the challenge here is standardization of pricing - cannot have one platform at 0.99 and another at 4.99.

that said; when 1.0 gets propagated out to all platforms, the low-res version will be $2.99 and HD version $4.99. this doesn't mean we cannot run campaigns, promo codes and all the like. the base price is the base price. it always looks good when we run a discounted promo for a little while.

if you guys remember; i wrote the first "indie" PDK app for webos (cronk, shipping to webos 1.4.0) - where i also did a presentation at the Palm Developer Days adding support for the TouchPad was a piece of cake, and i felt the community needed a good game like Caveman it took me 2 days to get my TouchPad alive (sitting too long in the closet); but based on the feedback so far, it was worth it!
Old 07/18/2012, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

And again, nothing for the Pre . . .
ClickGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2012, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickGamer View Post
i had a look at the market yesterday, when i listed the games catagory, there was a cheaper pre3 version, note the touchpad version works on the pre3 but its far 2 slow to be useable.

note to anyone who has touchpad games by Hexage, their HD/touchpad games all work/downscale/orient correctly on the pre3 if copied or installed with apptuckerbox, it helps boost your games collection on the pre3 a bit.

in fact a fair few touchpad/hd games work on the pre3, i also have Aftermath XHD working and a fair few others.
Old 07/18/2012, 11:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickGamer View Post
unfortunately, i do not have a Pre 3 in my collection... - it has a different resolution that is not 320x480 or 1024x768 - i on purpose checked them as "not supported" as i am not sure if it even runs. the Pre3 has a 800x480 resolution - if you download the low res version and install it manually it may work. but i would agree that the 1024x768 version just simply push too many pixels and it wont run so nice.

now, if i got my hands on a Pre 3 - i could add support for it anyone in Munich have a Pre 3 i could "borrow" for a day or so to get it working and verified?
Old 07/18/2012, 11:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardiri View Post
unfortunately, i do not have a Pre 3 in my collection... - it has a different resolution that is not 320x480 or 1024x768 - i on purpose checked them as "not supported" as i am not sure if it even runs. the Pre3 has a 800x480 resolution - if you download the low res version and install it manually it may work. but i would agree that the 1024x768 version just simply push too many pixels and it wont run so nice.

now, if i got my hands on a Pre 3 - i could add support for it anyone in Munich have a Pre 3 i could "borrow" for a day or so to get it working and verified?
does your lowres app only work at set resolutions or does it just check device_width/device_height? as i mentioned above hexage and a few others seem to have their apps just scale to whatever the device can handle, robotek/radiant/radiant defence etc all scale up or down and even better dont seem to slow down on the pre3 at least i cant tell.

Maybe you could do just that if your not sure and just put a disclaimer for devices you dont own (pre3 in this case) and cant check personally with? i know people like myself would probably buy the app anyways just to see if it worked then report here to others that fact, it would only take 1 success/failure report on the forums for you to know for definate for any unsupported/unknown device.
Old 07/18/2012, 11:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

just bought the loweres one for my pre3, works fine btw, just doesnt take the whole screen real estate up atm, get the usual small black bar top and bottom, but works perfectly fine regardless.
Old 07/18/2012, 02:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm gonna have to pick up the phone version as well now.

Thanks for the response to the Android question, pretty much what I thought, but I was curious if you were in the same boat. A few of the devs I talk to don't are barely do android.
Old 07/18/2012, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I would be happy to test for Pre3, if you don't mind email or skyping me ipk's to check. There's also a Pre3 emulator on the developer site somewhere or other (I know there is, because I have it .. but I have no idea where to link to to find it), if you're setup to compile in a fashion that works on emulator. It works quite well, aside from having a DPI problem, in that the Pre3 has a much better DPI than PC monitors typically do.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2012, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

someone should do a populous clone
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0