Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    I seem to be stuck at Obscure level 29. Not that I can't beat it, it's not too hard at all. However no matter how far I get past it, when I return to the menu I'm back at Obscure 29 (even if I don't exit the game - if I just beat the level, then return to the menu my progress is lost). I'm not sure if this is a bug in the game or something very strange going on with my TouchPad. I'm not having trouble with any other games/apps.
    further comment on the above: the only thing I've changed recently on my touchpad was that I installed LunaCE. I'm pretty sure I had advanced in Caveman since installing it, but just to be sure I re-installed the Palm LunaSysMgr and tried Caveman again, and I still can't save progress past Obscure level 29. I'm getting pretty darned good at that level though!
    Hmm... Maybe level 30 is secret? I bet it's an off by one bug in the game. You have two choices: hex edit the save file to mark the next level as available, or use the magical unlock warpcode.
    I've been several levels into Insane, and still get thrown back to Obscure 29 when I return to the menu by any means.

if it's a bug in the game, I'm hoping v1.2.1 will fix it. I don't care enough to go hex-editing anything.
    ok, I see what's going on... it gave me the levels in an odd order. I absolutely never played what should have been Obscure Level 1 ("Trek of a Lifetime") until after I completed all the other levels up to "Call the Bomb Squad", so I naturally thought when presented a level I'd never seen I was looking at Obscure 29... no wonder once I cleared it though the next couple of levels seemed quite familiar. One time recently I did tap the level warp numbers a couple of times, just fiddling around, but nothing seemed to happen... maybe I accidentally entered a valid code that took me to Level 2?

anyhow, false alarm I think, I imagine when I finish We All Fall Down III the level counter will in fact advance normally.

(edit: yep, it did. I'm feeling a tiny bit silly, but I am 100% certain I never played "Trek of a lifetime" until after all the other obscure levels except the last one. The solution to that level is too unique, no way I could have played it and forgotten.)
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 08/24/2012 at 02:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    ok, I see what's going on... it gave me the levels in an odd order. I absolutely never played what should have been Obscure Level 1 ("Trip of a Lifetime") until after I completed all the other levels up to "Call the Bomb Squad", so I naturally thought when presented a level I'd never seen I was looking at Obscure 29... no wonder once I cleared it though the next couple of levels seemed quite familiar. One time recently I did tap the level warp numbers a couple of times, just fiddling around, but nothing seemed to happen... maybe I accidentally entered a valid code that took me to Level 2?

anyhow, false alarm I think, I imagine when I finish We All Fall Down III the level counter will in fact advance normally.

(edit: yep, it did. I'm feeling a tiny bit silly, but I am 100% certain I never played "Trip of a lifetime" until after all the other obscure levels except the last one. The solution to that level is too unique, no way I could have played it and forgotten.)
    in 1.2.0 i updated the code to ensure levels you go via warp code are not included in the history - so this should no longer happen so far, other than pinch-to-zoom (which, isn't so easy due to the engine); no other feature requests/major issues that need to be put in place?
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    Quote Originally Posted by ardiri View Post
    in 1.2.0 i updated the code to ensure levels you go via warp code are not included in the history - so this should no longer happen so far, other than pinch-to-zoom (which, isn't so easy due to the engine); no other feature requests/major issues that need to be put in place?
    nice to know I wasn't just going insane...

no bugs to report nor features to request. 1.2.0 works great. I'm not really sure Pinch-to-zoom would be all that helpful, though it would keep with the standard zoom method for touchscreen devices these days. I do find the existing zoom level a little TOO 'zoomed' though - an interim zoom level would be helpful I think.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    i also just posted all the videos to youtube (solutions):

Aaron Ardiri - YouTube

i will post complete links to the website soon.. took me a while to make all these solutions.. but, you will find out how hard some of the levels can actually get INSANE = is called that for a reason.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

no bugs to report nor features to request. 1.2.0 works great. I'm not really sure Pinch-to-zoom would be all that helpful, though it would keep with the standard zoom method for touchscreen devices these days. I do find the existing zoom level a little TOO 'zoomed' though - an interim zoom level would be helpful I think.
    this is the only change for 1.2.1 right now

Code:
    --- tags/v1.2.0/application-state-game.inc	2012-08-23 07:54:58.000000000 +0200
    +++ trunk/application-state-game.inc	2012-08-23 08:31:43.000000000 +0200
    @@ -827,6 +827,9 @@
                // we really need to register every event here
                if (!g_game -> rt -> pointer.down)
                {
    +             // get the pen state (override the one in the event)
    +             _PenState(&penX, &penY, NULL);
    +
                  g_game -> rt -> pointer.down = true;
                  g_game -> rt -> pointer.x    = penX;
                  g_game -> rt -> pointer.y    = penY;
    @@ -1622,7 +1625,13 @@
     #ifndef DESKTOP_VERSION
                  valX = (g_game -> rt -> pointer.x - penX) >> sft;
                  valY = (g_game -> rt -> pointer.y - penY) >> sft;
    -             ApplicationStateGameApplyPanning(valX, valY);
    +
    +             // to avoid "jumping" around, lets be within a threshold
    +             if ((ABS(valX) < GAME_PAN_THRESHOLD) && 
    +                 (ABS(valY) < GAME_PAN_THRESHOLD)) 
    +             {
    +               ApplicationStateGameApplyPanning(valX, valY);
    +             }
     #endif

// we must remember these values for later
    basically, if the valX, valY is too large - then chances are it wasn't via a movement of the finger on the display. you can easily reproduce a jumpy screen by tapping quickly (super fast) on the left and right side of the screen simultaneously. the devices do not realize they are separate taps and it tries to scroll the display.. funky

i have really enjoyed writing this game and making it completely refreshed with cavemen there are some awesome levels that i think have crazy solutions. by all means, the solutions i come up with may not be the only solution. this would have to be my favorite (INSANE: TIME TO GET UP)

warning: spoiler alert.. but you can get an idea of how messed up some of these levels can get
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

i think it is time for webosnation to do a review of caveman now any site reviewers monitoring these threads?
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    i found another bug someone reported a while back - you could get a basher stuck in the wall if you timed it right. just a simple one line code change and that's fixed as well. minor, but still a bug! :P heh
    // Aaron Ardiri
    I just noticed a bug in the animation sequence for the builder caveman. When he faces right he looks fine - he takes the bone from his pack and then puts it down at his feet. When he faces left though, it looks like he's putting a bone back in his pack, then suddenly has it in his hand and puts it down.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I just noticed a bug in the animation sequence for the builder caveman. When he faces right he looks fine - he takes the bone from his pack and then puts it down at his feet. When he faces left though, it looks like he's putting a bone back in his pack, then suddenly has it in his hand and puts it down.
    hey, you are right!
    i just checked; the sprite sheet is incorrect..

facing right:
    0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    8-9-a-b-c-d-e-f

facing left:
    7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0
    f-e-d-c-b-a-8-9

they both should be like facing right - just in time man! i was about to build and upload.. great catch!
    Last edited by ardiri; 08/27/2012 at 05:49 AM.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Code:
    - version number to 1.2.1
    - added a threshold for touch panning to prevent sudden jumps in the display
    - improvement to toolbar character animations (reset on change, floater)
    - bugfix: bashing near ice/stone can get caveman stuck in walk (spinning)
    - bugfix: builder (left) sprite presentation order issue (first half reversed)
    submitted and waiting for review thanks for reporting the issues guys - this build should make it a lot better.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    caveman / caveman HD 1.2.1 is now live on the app catalog! i love super fast review times.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    with the state of HP and the webOS team, I suspect the review process consists of a small metal weight resting on the Enter key to respond OK to any "Approve new app" dialogs that pop-up.
    with the state of HP and the webOS team, I suspect the review process consists of a small metal weight resting on the Enter key to respond OK to any "Approve new app" dialogs that pop-up.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    You'd think that, but I had to wait like a week to get SynerGV 2 in. Then we had problems with it's first update. That was a mess. Then the whole catalog blew up for a few days on it's second update. ugh! all better now though!
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    it might help with Mobile 1UP on the "certified webos developer" list as well hehe

https://developer.palm.com/content/c...oper_list.html

it is a pity they have all the contact information wrong i've emailed them to fix it, but i think Caveman 1.2.1 took less than 16 hours to get through the review process, the majority may have been for the download itself :P hehe
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    any users out there still playing caveman? i have an update - just wondering if i should spend the time to submit it or not.. check out a cool new feature i just added. - i am sure many will just want this update for this feature:

// Aaron Ardiri
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast