Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ardiri View Post
    an alternative to the "tapping" issue (and assignment while scrolling) is to use the "via toolbar" option.

this way, touching the screen has no impact, you put the cursor in a location; when the caveman is under the cursor, tap on the toolbar to assign the tool. you can also mix/match both styles. it comes down to how you want to play the game - you may want to explore the other control option. you may just have fat fingers and hold the screen too long..

version 1.1.0 has fine tuned the controls a lot - but, there is always room for improvement.
    My concern is it happens on the menus too, so it's certainly an input processing issue. I find the toolbar option a bit unintuitive, considering the caveman's moving at a good pace while you're also trying to find the skill you want to tap.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    My concern is it happens on the menus too, so it's certainly an input processing issue. I find the toolbar option a bit unintuitive, considering the caveman's moving at a good pace while you're also trying to find the skill you want to tap.
    well; let me show you the basics here - it shouldn't register the same "tap" more than once.

Code:
        case _penEvent:

// pass onto state engine
             if (globals -> fnHandleEvent != NULL)
               result = globals -> fnHandleEvent(e);

// we will now register the pen as being "down"
             globals -> penDown = true;

break;

case _nilEvent:

// pass onto state engine
             if (globals -> fnHandleEvent != NULL)
               result = globals -> fnHandleEvent(e);

// screen repainting logic
             if (globals -> dirty) _FBRepaint();
             globals -> dirty = false;

// some special handling - we want to update the penDown state
             if (globals -> penDown)
               _PenState(NULL, NULL, &globals -> penDown);

break;
    "touch events" only happen when the pen is NOT down during the receiving of a _penEvent - this is for the menu's and navigation buttons. for the game itself, you can tap and hold and it can assign tools to multiple cavemen as they walk under - but there is a mechanism to prevent rapid assignment in place - more specifically; we flush the pen events from the queue and reset a counter

Code:
               // reset the ui counter
               g_game -> counter = 0;
               _SysFlushEventQueue(_penEvent);
    will keep looking into it however the issue was very apparent on the BlackBerry Playbook as it would send touch events so frequently that one tap would do three actions.. crazy thats why we implemented the above to improve the interactivity.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    as you can see; the game is written using our "cross platform" framework SHARK; but when it comes to the event handling itself (OS level - using SDL); you can see the following:

Code:
            case SDL_MOUSEBUTTONDOWN:
                 // do we have some valid points?
                 if ((e.button.x >= 0) && (e.button.x < g_width) &&
                     (e.button.y >= 0) && (e.button.y < g_height))
                 {
                   g_penX    = (int16)e.button.x;
                   g_penY    = (int16)e.button.y;
                   g_penDown = true;

_SHARKPenEvent(g_penX, g_penY);
                 }
                 break;

case SDL_MOUSEMOTION:
                 // do we have some valid points?
                 if ((e.motion.x >= 0) && (e.motion.x < g_width) &&
                     (e.motion.y >= 0) && (e.motion.y < g_height))
                 {
                   g_penDown = (e.motion.state != SDL_RELEASED);

// we only care about different points
                   if ((g_penX != (int16)e.motion.x) ||
                       (g_penY != (int16)e.motion.y))
                   {
                     g_penX = (int16)e.motion.x;
                     g_penY = (int16)e.motion.y;

if (g_penDown)
                       _SHARKPenEvent(g_penX, g_penY);
                   }
                 }
                 break;
    the same code works on all platforms from the game perspective, i will continue to look at it and see what i can find - what happens when you tap lightly? or tap without moving your finger? you can also scroll without assignment by using the lock option and ensuring a caveman is selected - but still, not perfect.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    kinda wish i'd waited for the lite version... the issues with double-taps and missed taps make the game very frustrating; most levels I figure out how to solve fairly easily from a strategy point of view, struggling with the UI is the biggest challenge. I can't get past "We All Fall Down II", because every tap has to be perfectly registered and it misses one every time I try it. I give up for now...
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    kinda wish i'd waited for the lite version... the issues with double-taps and missed taps make the game very frustrating; most levels I figure out how to solve fairly easily from a strategy point of view, struggling with the UI is the biggest challenge. I can't get past "We All Fall Down II", because every tap has to be perfectly registered and it misses one every time I try it. I give up for now...
    which device are you using (also, did you update to 1.1.0)?

with "we all fall down" - you need to make sure the previous caveman you assigned a tool too moves out of the cursor before assigning the tool to another. if not; it wont assign the tool to the one walking through the cursor. this is part of the game - timing is critical here - you can also solve it with half the diggers (see: we all fall down iii) - but yes, this level is not so easy - timing is critical here.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    graphics: 16bit, 565 RGB
    Thanks for that. I thought it was RGB565 before, but the colors turned out all funny. Apparently pixel data is also big endian (as expected), but on Windows they're read as little endian. Should have known... BTW, why does the header say "_656"? I was trying to figure out where the extra bit came from for the longest time.

The sprites appear interlaced. Gotta check that out.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    still digging into this?

SBCK_565 - background image, 565 big endian
    SSPR_565 - sprite, 565 big endian
    XSPR_565 - extended sprite, 88565, 565 big endian with an 8 bit alpha channel

XSPR are used for the sprites and fonts. resources are stored in big endian, but dynamically loaded and changed to whatever the host endian is (for ARM, X86 - this is little endian, PowerPC - this is big endian). remember the code is designed to run over many platforms, not just webos so we kept that in mind for our resources
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    guys - i've spend a few hours tracking down the touch issues. good news!

- no more accidental double taps
    - panning works as expected (scrolling around)

was a biatch to track down - funky threading issues and assumed logic. the code i posted before was correct
    // Aaron Ardiri
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Guessing that fix is in the update that was just pushed last night/this morning
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Guessing that fix is in the update that was just pushed last night/this morning
    no - i haven't submitted it yet (v1.1.2) - want to give the lite version a test run? i can provide you a ipk link

EDIT: in any event i'm doing a complete play test on my touchpad and pre2.. i was able to reproduce the issues and tracking them down one by one
    // Aaron Ardiri
    No worries, just downloaded an update.... but with so many devices I never remember which ones have already been updated.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    early tests (thanks GMMan) are looking good - but, great feedback makes me want to tweak it a little *G*
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    hi guys! version 1.2.0 just went live on the catalog.

Code:
    - version number to 1.2.0
    - auto cancel fast forward mode in critical game moments (death, et al)
    - adjustment to level summary screen (MENU ... CONTINUE/RETRY) as options
    - improvement to initial viewport based on entry/exit locations
    - added level completion indicators (xx/30) on the main menu screens
    - added animations to toolbar on the active caveman tool (via caveman)
    - added in game helper guides/tips to the seven tutorial levels
    - bugfix: "paused" text should be an overlay, centered on the display
    - bugfix: correction to game save state (mask, brick) persistance/restore
    - bugfix: "timewarp" levels should not be considered for game history
    - improvement to touch event handling (accidental taps, assign, panning issues)
    it should be a lot better now - any other delays, weird stuff may be due to the manner of game play and some lag between the touch and the event being generated. we've done out best to fix the touch issues - it plays much better on our devices in-house.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Well done sir, 1.2 works great. Everyone who was having any hesitation in buying this game because of the tap issues, hesitate no longer! All is fixed. Really, it's not just "a little better", it's night and day. The game is now fully playable, no more UI trouble.

The *only* minor niggle I notice with 1.2 is that with the animation of the selected toolbar icon (at least I assume it's due to this), the game seems a little slow at moments. nothing too bad, but I'm not sure the animation really adds anything either.
    OldSkoolVWLover and ardiri like this.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Well done sir, 1.2 works great. Everyone who was having any hesitation in buying this game because of the tap issues, hesitate no longer! All is fixed. Really, it's not just "a little better", it's night and day. The game is now fully playable, no more UI trouble.
    excellent news - panning is definitely much better now as well.
    you still need to make sure a caveman is highlighted before you can assign him a task.. also, only one caveman can be highlighted - so, you need to time it correctly!

The *only* minor niggle I notice with 1.2 is that with the animation of the selected toolbar icon (at least I assume it's due to this), the game seems a little slow at moments. nothing too bad, but I'm not sure the animation really adds anything either.
    the animation shouldn't impact the performance too much - what is critical is the timer heh.

thanks for letting me know about this update and confirming the new code works a LOT better you'll see the other changes were also nice, some improvements for fast forward mode and the overlays for the tutorial levels the engine is there now, so we could do a bunch of things with the overlays.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    panning is definitely much better now as well.
    Indeed, it is. In fact I was probably having more trouble with unintentional pans than anything - I'd tap a caveman at a critical moment and the screen would suddenly pan somewhere else while the caveman walked off the cliff.

I did actually get pretty good at dealing with the UI problems and made it to Obscure Level 15, but it was not a pleasant journey. Now with 1.2 the game is much more fun.
    ardiri likes this.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I
    I did actually get pretty good at dealing with the UI problems and made it to Obscure Level 15, but it was not a pleasant journey. Now with 1.2 the game is much more fun.
    good luck with insane took me a while to solve some of them.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    guys, i am looking at making a new update - anyone notice anything obvious that needs fixing?

i found, in some cases that there may still be some jumping of the display. a good test: tap the left, and right side of the display repeatedly.. it jumps around, when it should really stay still. i have a fix already, just wanted to know if i could get anything more into the game for version 1.2.1

let me know!
    // Aaron Ardiri
    pinch to zoom would be nice
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Minor technical complaint: use sprites instead of full pages on the menus. I think it's wasteful to have a dozen different full-sized images for the menu when a couple of them plus a handful of sprites would work.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast