Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    someone should do a populous clone
    populous 2 (as cavemen?) please hate running the watered down PC version in dosbox, would rather the amiga version or as you said a remake

just wonder if touchscreen would be a pain in the backside or not, can be a pain using the dosbox'd one.

a version of http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/ would be nice as well
    Last edited by geekpeter; 07/18/2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    does your lowres app only work at set resolutions or does it just check device_width/device_height? as i mentioned above hexage and a few others seem to have their apps just scale to whatever the device can handle, robotek/radiant/radiant defence etc all scale up or down and even better dont seem to slow down on the pre3 at least i cant tell.
    nope i just ask for a 480x320 SDL window - the OS will deal with the rest. i know the lowres version works on the touchpad, but better to get the full HD glory.

Maybe you could do just that if your not sure and just put a disclaimer for devices you dont own (pre3 in this case) and cant check personally with? i know people like myself would probably buy the app anyways just to see if it worked then report here to others that fact, it would only take 1 success/failure report on the forums for you to know for definate for any unsupported/unknown device.
    that is a good idea, i previously just check boxed the Pre / Pre 2, and not the Pre 3/TouchPad/Veer/Pixi for the low-res version. i should be able to do a meta data update and add the Pre3 based on your experience.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    just curious, has anyone tried installing the HD version on their Pre3? I personally haven't run into ANY touchpad games that do actually work right on the Pre3, but some have been reported by others so it's always worth giving it a shot.

@ardiri - if you do decide to make one of the versions fully support the Pre3 screen (ie, not just the low-res version scaled up), will you add that in the phone version or HD version? I'm hoping it'll be the HD version, as that would seriously end any debate about which version to buy for me.

GraveDefense HD is a great example of an HD TouchPad game that scales really well down to the Pre3, and even to the Pre2 (I have no idea how it looks crammed onto a Pre2, as I don't have one). In reverse, Angry Birds Seasons (the non-HD version) scales really well up to the Pre3 and even the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    as i mentioned above hexage and a few others seem to have their apps just scale to whatever the device can handle, robotek/radiant/radiant defence etc all scale up or down and even better dont seem to slow down on the pre3 at least i cant tell.
    I have only installed Robotek HD on my Pre3 and while it is working well enough the animations are running definitely slower than on the TouchPad.

Other games I have tried are Angry Birds HD (all three, but only Seasons is working) and Grave Defense HD (working very well, but maybe it's available for Pre3 anyway) - but I see, this post becomes off-topic.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    i am actually putting together Caveman Lite and Caveman HD Lite which will be free.

you will be able to test both and see which one works best and then make a decision. SDL does pretty good scaling of the application either up or down - the only bottle neck is the HD version is pumping frames of 1024x768 where the lowres version is 480x320. the games run exactly the same internally, only the presentation layer is different.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    geekpeter likes this.
    +1 for Populous been a long time since I've played around with that one.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    last time i played populous was.. back on sega genesis i think about 20 years ago. maybe it was populous 2. i've seen recently that there was a populous for nintendo ds, so if the game could work for nds, then it would probably be just as good on touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ardiri View Post
    the challenge here is standardization of pricing - cannot have one platform at 0.99 and another at 4.99.

that said; when 1.0 gets propagated out to all platforms, the low-res version will be $2.99 and HD version $4.99. this doesn't mean we cannot run campaigns, promo codes and all the like. the base price is the base price. it always looks good when we run a discounted promo for a little while.

if you guys remember; i wrote the first "indie" PDK app for webos (cronk, shipping to webos 1.4.0) - where i also did a presentation at the Palm Developer Days adding support for the TouchPad was a piece of cake, and i felt the community needed a good game like Caveman it took me 2 days to get my TouchPad alive (sitting too long in the closet); but based on the feedback so far, it was worth it!
    Well, I did end up buying it
    Touch sensitivity seems a bit buggy, though (single taps often register as double). Anything you can do about that?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
    Well, I did end up buying it
    Touch sensitivity seems a bit buggy, though (single taps often register as double). Anything you can do about that?
    thanks for supporting us! i will investigate the touch issue, i have noticed it happens when the tools change automatically (when one is depleted - fix for now - tap lightly) but in any event, it needs to be fixed - will look into it, it is the same across all platforms but only under that circumstance.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I suggest better visual feedback on the tools. I expect tools to be grayed out if they're not available, and the entire tool icon (box, image, and number) to be highlighted or otherwise stand out when selected. And also don't select a tool by default at the beginning of the level.

My other concern is about the help. I'll expand on that some other time, but for now it's just the font is a bit hard to read and the help not being completely clear. Maybe add a video or something for each caveman mode.

A preview would be nice for modes that would take time to complete (give a faint outline to verify positioning, and then tap again to confirm).

Zooming in should be as high resolution as regular mode.

And of course, the tapping is a bit screwed up. The only "workaround" right now is to press firmly.
    For those who would like to know about the development of Caveman, check out Mobile 1UP's development log on Lemmings, the precursor to this game before SCEE C&D'ed them. http://www.mobile1up.com/lemmings/blog/

Some useful things I got out of it: I was able to extract the audio from the game - _RAW header (as opposed to some of the other compression methods), 16-bit signed mono PCM at 22050 Hz. Hacked myself a program to write out a WAVE header, and I've got fifteen songs on my computer.

For you game modders out there, here's part of the data file naming convention:
    xxxxTSNN.xxx
    where T is the type (7 for audio), S for subtype (with audio, 0 for music, 1 for caveman sound effects, 2 for [strike]"little" caveman[/strike] lemmings sound effects), and NN is the resource number. TSNN is a 16-bit hexadecimal resource code, in lowercase. The rest of the x's doesn't matter.

EDIT: One thing I have to ask is why not compress the audio like most of the rest of the files?
    EDIT2: There are special warpcodes you can use. There's a static one (for a cheat), and there's one that changes with the date (month and day only) (for an Easter egg). Watch @mobile1up on Twitter for the daily code (they seem to post them every second day or so). If you want the static code you'll have to find it yourself.
    I went ahead and bought the HD game on my touchpad. I played it a bit, quite fun. Then I loaded it on my pre3. It looks great and almost works, but once the game starts it's very slow and my taps don't register so I can't make the cavemen do anything. It seems the hd version is just a few tweaks away from working on the pre3.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    changelog for 1.1 (Matt H: this is for you!) :P

- version number to 1.1
    - bugfix: cases where auto tutorial displayed after playing levels
    - bugfix: double tool assignment when another tool runs out
    - bugfix: assign via tool bar selection not functioning correctly
    as the the "modding"; i think the only thing you can tinker with is the audio/sfx - as that is "RAW" (decompression too expensive) - keeping in mind this runs across many platforms.. i could add compression; and you will see different type of compression (custom built) on the other resources.. warpcodes end with 'fff.xxx' - but, i also posted them to the website, the dynamic code (easter egg) is fun and the static one; well.. is hidden in the binary.

good luck modifying it i am not responsible for what you create - just dont distribute stuff we know we cannot have distributed around the web.
    Last edited by ardiri; 07/22/2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added reference to Matt H (touch issue)
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I went ahead and bought the HD game on my touchpad. I played it a bit, quite fun. Then I loaded it on my pre3. It looks great and almost works, but once the game starts it's very slow and my taps don't register so I can't make the cavemen do anything. It seems the hd version is just a few tweaks away from working on the pre3.
    the issue is it is pumping 1024x768 framebuffers every time - CPU cannot handle it. it then has to down scale it to 800x480. the low-res version would be 480x320 and up scaling it; less bandwidth and more likely to succeed. your pushing the pre3 to its' limits with the HD version - just ssh in and do a "top", it'll probably be at 99%
    // Aaron Ardiri
    I've figured out the LZ77 compression algorithm, and have also gained an appreciation for compression. There's a file that's pretty much filled with zeros, that when decompressed expands to 2.5 MB. Compressed it's only 273 bytes. That's over 9600x in size reduction. The game would probably weigh in at a few gigabytes if everything was left as _RAW.

I've also got rough decompressors for each of the other compression methods, except for HUFF, which is a bit more complicated and will take some time.

Update: Got HUFF working properly (the BitReader took the most time to debug), and found that I reversed two fields in LZ77. Now all known compression algorithms used can be successfully decompressed. Fully decompressed data weigh in at 547MiB.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I've figured out the LZ77 compression algorithm, and have also gained an appreciation for compression. There's a file that's pretty much filled with zeros, that when decompressed expands to 2.5 MB. Compressed it's only 273 bytes. That's over 9600x in size reduction. The game would probably weigh in at a few gigabytes if everything was left as _RAW.

I've also got rough decompressors for each of the other compression methods, except for HUFF, which is a bit more complicated and will take some time.

Update: Got HUFF working properly (the BitReader took the most time to debug), and found that I reversed two fields in LZ77. Now all known compression algorithms used can be successfully decompressed. Fully decompressed data weigh in at 547MiB.
    check out this blog entry:

http://mobile1up.com/blog/?entry=2012-05-06

it was 529Mb - this was before i added the secret levels so yep, you're looking at a half-gig set of resources!
    i'll give you another hint in the resource format:

graphics: 16bit, 565 RGB
    audio: 22Khz, 16bit signed mono

there are some custom headers on the graphics definitions - but, not too difficult to figure out (sprite vs screen). if the game used 32bit graphics and 44Khz 16bit stereo - you could just imagine how big it would be i think we did good to get the size down to what it is as. some assets we compressed; some not (ie: music, audio) - it is a trade off between decompression time and size.

some people complain about the size; but i think you know what has gone into it now
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    version 1.1.0 for Caveman / Caveman HD approved. also; lite versions for both also exist

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ile1up.caveman
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...p.caveman-lite

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...1up.caveman-hd
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...aveman-hd-lite

just approved - need to wait for servers to refresh their caches
    // Aaron Ardiri
    HD is still having touch registering multiple times problem. I'll test it more later.
    I wrote a review for the HD Lite version. I'll write one for the full version after I finish most of the levels. Also expect to see a review in the you-know-what magazine, but not next month.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I wrote a review for the HD Lite version. I'll write one for the full version after I finish most of the levels. Also expect to see a review in the you-know-what magazine, but not next month.
    an alternative to the "tapping" issue (and assignment while scrolling) is to use the "via toolbar" option.

this way, touching the screen has no impact, you put the cursor in a location; when the caveman is under the cursor, tap on the toolbar to assign the tool. you can also mix/match both styles. it comes down to how you want to play the game - you may want to explore the other control option. you may just have fat fingers and hold the screen too long..

version 1.1.0 has fine tuned the controls a lot - but, there is always room for improvement.
    // Aaron Ardiri
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast