Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Let's not inform them that there are unofficial versions of their app, lest they pay attention and decide to stop them all.

The most amazing thing, though, is their complete lack of security. I could write an Android app that would send me the device ID and phone number of any device it was installed on, and I would instantly have access to every person who installed it's WA account. If I had just 10 seconds to hit "Device Info" on someone's phone and write it down, I could then access their WA account from anywhere.
    That indeed does make me want Whatsapp less... screw it. It's really my iPhone friends who keep complaining anyways. My Android friends GTalk me anyways.

Though it DOES call for some interesting experiments...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Well, us homebrew devs work for free and normally work on projects that we feel like doing at the time. If Whatsapp is that important to have, then maybe you guys should consider banding together and hiring some people to bring it to webOS. If you don't want to take that route, then just be happy that at least one guy is working on it in his free time.
    Did you read the thread or are you just making this statement based on one comment I made? We are already looking into setting up a Kickstarter-project.

And yes, I know you guys do this in your free time, thanks for reminding me that. Didn't know that after spending 4 years of volunteering on the Dutch Ubuntu Forums (been a moderator there, now the web editor and release party leader of volunteers) in my spare time.
    So again: thanks for reminding me, that was greatly appreciated.

But please do me a favor and don't make a biased statement about something we're already been doing in this thread. We're looking into setting up a Kickstarter-project and when we're all waiting for eblade to release some of the modifications he made so we can also look into the development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Did you read the thread or are you just making this statement based on one comment I made? We are already looking into setting up a Kickstarter-project.

And yes, I know you guys do this in your free time, thanks for reminding me that. Didn't know that after spending 4 years of volunteering on the Dutch Ubuntu Forums (been a moderator there, now the web editor and release party leader of volunteers) in my spare time.
    So again: thanks for reminding me, that was greatly appreciated.

But please do me a favor and don't make a biased statement about something we're already been doing in this thread. We're looking into setting up a Kickstarter-project and when we're all waiting for eblade to release some of the modifications he made so we can also look into the development.
    I read most of the thread a little while ago. Didn't take the time to read the entire thing again today though. lol

I personally would rather use something like Google Talk, but I do hope you guys manage to find more devs willing to work on this.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  4.    #44  
    I hope in good news from eblade...soon

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    - HP Veer --
    Vistaus and Rnp like this.
    I'd also rather use Google Talk but if many of my friends rather use WhatsApp, then I have no choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Most open source developers I know have no interest in working on a proprietary closed protocol when there are perfectly good open protocols to do exactly the same thing.

-- Rod
    I can't see a single one that is implemented in webOS and makes me send pictures, sounds and other files. Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    It's called E-Mail
    Or Jabber.

Both are implemented, both can do what you are requesting.

The Proper Thing™ to do would be to add those to the main messaging application. Or enable sharing via messaging protocols.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    It's called E-Mail
    Or Jabber.

The Proper Thing™ to do would be to add those to the main messaging application. Or enable sharing via messaging protocols.
    OK you got a point with E-Mail, but jabber? Sending text messages may be implemented by your messaging plugins, but sending pictures and files is not. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Only mms supports sending of pictures, and I don't think that can be coopted by a synergy connector. I will look into it, though. Probably only likely going to support regular messaging . . Of course, this is all contingent on me actually figuring out the protocol for logging in properly.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Vistaus likes this.
    Idc about sending files, sending messages would be the thing I use most via WA
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    It's called E-Mail
    Or Jabber.

The proper thing to do would be to add file transfer support via Jabber in the main messaging app. This would satisfy my needs and would make WhatsApp unnecessary which it is anyway if we're not going to get file transfer.

WebOS just lacks file sharing via messaging support it's ridiculous that it was not implemented with Skype.
    None of the other mobile Skype implementations support sending of files, either.

You can, however, use screen sharing on our Skype. (incoming not outgoing)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Rnp likes this.
  13.    #53  
    I would the same for us PRE 3 . Go EBLADE !!!

- HP Veer --
    Anyone who has a whatsapp account, please add 9519993267 to your contacts list, and send me a message.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Anyone who has a whatsapp account, please add 9519993267 to your contacts list, and send me a message.
    It seems like this number is missing a zero or a country code, the contact with this number doesn't appear in favourites when added.
    yes, i'm not used to using country codes to communicate. 19519993267
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    yes, i'm not used to using country codes to communicate. 19519993267
    That was the problem, thanx! Got it working now, the whole number is +19519993267, same as 0019519993267.
  18.    #58  

I've added you on my whatsapp account. Tell me we have wz on webOS
    - HP Veer --
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123