1.    #1  
    I realize the forum is kind of down these days but figured I'd try here first. I've remoted my XP desktop numerous times from all over the US without issue. I built a PC recently and am running 64 bit W7. I've probably entered gmail address and/or passwords three dozen times over the past two days but the TP keeps "dropping" the connection. The St GUI has only even come up two or three times. Most of the time it just prompts that the connection is lost and keeps trying. I have remote enabled on the PC and even entered a port rule in the W7 firewall, even though the St application was already being allowed. I've disabled Norton and the port was forwarded in my router. Any theories would be appreciated!
    Not much theories. Should work. Can only confirm that St does work with 64-bit Windows7 I've even installed Stv2 although it's not of much use as long as TP haven't received an updated client.
    Did you already try to connect over an internal network without using internet? Might help to reduce the number of different issues which might cause this behaviour. My experience is that it is usually a firewall issue, but "dropping" connection doesn't really point to that. No other network issues with that pc? Driver update? Specific network settings? Cables, WiFi connection? Rebooting TP? Just a few to try.

Quote Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
    I realize the forum is kind of down these days but figured I'd try here first. I've remoted my XP desktop numerous times from all over the US without issue. I built a PC recently and am running 64 bit W7. I've probably entered gmail address and/or passwords three dozen times over the past two days but the TP keeps "dropping" the connection. The St GUI has only even come up two or three times. Most of the time it just prompts that the connection is lost and keeps trying. I have remote enabled on the PC and even entered a port rule in the W7 firewall, even though the St application was already being allowed. I've disabled Norton and the port was forwarded in my router. Any theories would be appreciated!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Not much theories. Should work. Can only confirm that St does work with 64-bit Windows7 I've even installed Stv2 although it's not of much use as long as TP haven't received an updated client.
    Did you already try to connect over an internal network without using internet? Might help to reduce the number of different issues which might cause this behaviour. My experience is that it is usually a firewall issue, but "dropping" connection doesn't really point to that. No other network issues with that pc? Driver update? Specific network settings? Cables, WiFi connection? Rebooting TP? Just a few to try.
    Thank you for the reply! I even installed the "old" v of the streamer, that didn't work. Norton history keeps showing (times coincide) Logitech Setpoint.exe (go figure) as being blocked. So I enter that in Norton to ignore but the issue continues. I posted on St forum too but no replies yet. The other really strange thing is the fact that despite all of the "dropped" connections it has only made it to the point where the St GUI is visible on the TP.
    Can you a bit more specific with 'dropped' connections?
    Does the pc light up in the Splashtop screen? If so, can you describe when it does it drop the connection. That might help pointing to the root cause.
    Did you already try the local network setup as suggested before? If so, any results?

Thank you for the reply! I even installed the "old" v of the streamer, that didn't work. Norton history keeps showing (times coincide) Logitech Setpoint.exe (go figure) as being blocked. So I enter that in Norton to ignore but the issue continues. I posted on St forum too but no replies yet. The other really strange thing is the fact that despite all of the "dropped" connections it has only made it to the point where the St GUI is visible on the TP.
  5.    #5  
    Can you a bit more specific with 'dropped' connections?
    Does the pc light up in the Splashtop screen? If so, can you describe when it does it drop the connection. That might help pointing to the root cause.
    Did you already try the local network setup as suggested before? If so, any results?
    Sorry for not being more specific! I didn't finish the last sentence in my last post either. The St GUI has only even been visible two times. What I normally get on the TP, "Connecting to your computer..." and then "Connection lost, reconnecting..." It just keeps looping. My keyboard is an Illuminated Logitech, which is the same one I was using with the XP PC. For what ever reason, when Norton blocks the connection Logitech Setpoint.exe is what shows up in the History as being blocked. I set Norton not to block it but that didn't help. Last but not least, I am doing this testing on my home network and I watch the monitor, "webOS is Accessing..." then it drops, over and over again. Fortunately we aren't going to see the kids for a while so I won't be traveling! Thank you for helping! One other thing, it is just Norton Anti-Virus, not Security or 360.
    Ok, I don't think the keyboard has anything to do with this. Neither Norton anti-virus. If you refer to the St gui, do you refer to St on the PC or on the Touchpad?

Anyway, let's try something else. Maybe you changed the default port number either on the Touchpad or your computer? To check, try adding another entry for your computer on the TP client of ST and ensure the port number you're entering is the same as in the configuration settings of the St gui on the PC. Best to use the default port 6783.

Sorry for not being more specific! I didn't finish the last sentence in my last post either. The St GUI has only even been visible two times. What I normally get on the TP, "Connecting to your computer..." and then "Connection lost, reconnecting..." It just keeps looping. My keyboard is an Illuminated Logitech, which is the same one I was using with the XP PC. For what ever reason, when Norton blocks the connection Logitech Setpoint.exe is what shows up in the History as being blocked. I set Norton not to block it but that didn't help. Last but not least, I am doing this testing on my home network and I watch the monitor, "webOS is Accessing..." then it drops, over and over again. Fortunately we aren't going to see the kids for a while so I won't be traveling! Thank you for helping! One other thing, it is just Norton Anti-Virus, not Security or 360.
  7.    #7  
    Ok, I don't think the keyboard has anything to do with this. Neither Norton anti-virus. If you refer to the St gui, do you refer to St on the PC or on the Touchpad?

Anyway, let's try something else. Maybe you changed the default port number either on the Touchpad or your computer? To check, try adding another entry for your computer on the TP client of ST and ensure the port number you're entering is the same as in the configuration settings of the St gui on the PC. Best to use the default port 6783.
    I basically do agree with you about it not being Norton. I do mean the start/tips GUI on the TP. I definitely have 6783 port forwarded in my router. Nothing should have changed on the TP. Yesterday I enabled/allowed several more W7 Firewall options, all dealing with remote management, and the St GUI on the TP stays on. So I'm thinking, "This is it!" then I hit continue and the connection is lost again. I'd also put a Port 6783 rule in the firewall when all this started and also tried connecting with it turned off. Thank you again!
    Could you please confirm that in the St gui on the PC you have port 6783 configured?

Next I would try the following steps:
    - Physically disconnect the internet connection by removing the plug.
    - Disable Windows7 firewall
    - Check whether you can make a connection with St*
    - Enable your Windows 7 firewall
    - Connect to the internet

* if you still can't connect with the firewall turned off I advise to uninstall Splashtop on Windows 7, reboot and reinstall.
    If that also doesn't help I would try some other software to connect your TP to your PC, e.g. VNC or Remote Desktop just to verify the connection between your TP and PC.

Maybe someone else in this forum has some more suggestions to try after this?

I basically do agree with you about it not being Norton. I do mean the start/tips GUI on the TP. I definitely have 6783 port forwarded in my router. Nothing should have changed on the TP. Yesterday I enabled/allowed several more W7 Firewall options, all dealing with remote management, and the St GUI on the TP stays on. So I'm thinking, "This is it!" then I hit continue and the connection is lost again. I'd also put a Port 6783 rule in the firewall when all this started and also tried connecting with it turned off. Thank you again!
    Last edited by renater; 07/12/2012 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Added remote desktop
  9.    #9  
    Could you please confirm that in the St gui on the PC you have port 6783 configured?

Next I would try the following steps:
    - Physically disconnect the internet connection by removing the plug.
    - Disable Windows7 firewall
    - Check whether you can make a connection with St*
    - Enable your Windows 7 firewall
    - Connect to the internet

* if you still can't connect with the firewall turned off I advise to uninstall Splashtop on Windows 7, reboot and reinstall.
    If that also doesn't help I would try some other software to connect your TP to your PC, e.g. VNC or Remote Desktop just to verify the connection between your TP and PC.

Maybe someone else in this forum has some more suggestions to try after this?
    I've actually did most if not all of those things, e.g. just yesterday I rearranged the PC desk and had the modem and router off. Disabling W7 firewall has never helped and then this AM I installed Tinywall, a W7 firewall GUI and manager. Opened the 6783, etc. with no luck. I'm kind of burnt out on the whole thing at the moment. My next move is going to be to install either Comodo or PrivateFirewall. I've remoted from the TP through both of those while on the XP PC. I'll also install TeamViewer on this and remote from my laptop. With the TP I've even booted the XP from afar with the WOL app, so this is quite perplexing. I'm thinking the firewall is somehow still blocking even when it is disabled. Check back periodically to see how things are going. I won't mess with it until next week. Even though I'm not highly computer literate, I normally seem to be quite instinctive and able to hunt glitches down and rectify them but am definitely losing this battle at the moment! Thank you!
    Well, assuming that you can still go to the internet through your w7 pc and the network physically works there is a decreasing number of options left:
    - reinstall network card or find updated driver
    - check advanced network settings (e.g. check whether it's set for bidirectional traffic, not sure where they're hiding in W7 these days so google around a bit. Once had an issue with that on my ps3).
    - fix network speed to e.g. 10 or 100 Mbs instead of auto-negotiate on W7
  11.    #11  
    Yo renater! So I've sort of solved the mystery but things still need some work. I hadn't noticed that the W7 firewall has two "controls", Private Nw and Public. In my prior tests I had only turned off the Private part of the Fw. I probably will ditch this W7 one. Not really impressed with how well Stp worked either. Didn't recall it having so much trouble moving the cursor, clicking, double clicking, etc. Tests were just done on my LAN. Still won't be traveling until September so I have time to work the kinks out. May not find a need to remote anyway. Next test will be to see if I can wake this PC with the Tp WOL app. I was quite successful doing that with a script and Tomato firmware on the router from either the Tp or the laptop.
    Good to hear you solved the connection issue with W7. Glad it was just the firewall, beyond that things usually get really complicated.
    Regarding clicking etc. best to set the resolution to the native TP resolution. Having larger icons and menus makes interactions a lot easier. It also needs a bit time to get used to not having a mouse and working with an on-screen keyboard taking away a lot of the screen. If you really want to get more productive, get yourself a BT keyboard.
  13.    #13  
    renater, I'm back! I tried installing Privatefirewall for the second time but it causes this PC to get the BSOD. Installed ZoneAlarm free firewall today and not only is Splashtop working great but after I enabled WAL in the BIOS and entered the MAC address in the TP WOL app it booted too. I'd noticed (but couldn't find it) the option to wake from Spashtop too. Might try it out of curiosity. Now I only booted it over my home network so I'll have to go downtown and try it from McDonald's parking lot (restaraunt chain with free WiFi).