Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Yet another app falls by the wayside. Sad news:

""App content will be discontinued!"

Support of this app on this device has been discontinued!

The lack of development and engagement on this platform has required us to discontinue this app as of 7/15/2012.

Please visit our website for all your content needs. wap://nydn.mwap.at/ "
    I really don't get it. The moment OpenWebOS starts to make real progress (with the June Edition et all) apps start to dissapear.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    The Reuters ("News Pro") app is showing the same message. Since both are Handmark apps, I wonder if ALL Handmark news apps are disappearing?!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Geez... Come on
    This is pretty suckerific news.

I'm hoping my AP Mobile and Beeb News keep working.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I'm hoping my AP Mobile and Beeb News keep working.
    Me too. No signs of anything happening to them though... yet.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Beeb news is made by palm doc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I really don't get it. The moment OpenWebOS starts to make real progress (with the June Edition et all) apps start to dissapear.
    Real progress?
    The only surprise here is that people here are surprised.

I'm more curious about the apps still on the App Catalog that no longer work and haven't been found yet; I'd guess there's more than a few of those out of 6,000 or so, especially those that rely on external data sources and APIs. Once you subtract that dead weight, you now have the true number of remaining webOS apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    The only surprise here is that people here are surprised.

I'm more curious about the apps still on the App Catalog that no longer work and haven't been found yet; I'd guess there's more than a few of those out of 6,000 or so, especially those that rely on external data sources and APIs. Once you subtract that dead weight, you now have the true number of remaining webOS apps.
    Au contraire, mon dignitaire...

I'm surprised that you are surprised that some are surprised...surprised?

I'm really more sad, not surprised. But since September is pretty close (less than 2 months), and then we will see what we will see about what comes out of this HP webOS to Open Source webOS project, I think I would not make any big changes to my apps (if I had any!) like Handmark is planning. I think I would figure that I will need to decide this later. Perhaps there is some reason we are not aware of that encourages Handmark to decide to take this action now...but 2 more months...why not wait and see? I think it takes more money and resources to cease support that it takes to keep it going for just 2 more months.

EDIT: Oh, and my Pre+ indicates there are 7072 apps in the app store. So that is a little higher starting point before we start removing 'lost apps'.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 07/06/2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

It's not about Open WebOS being released - It's about what happens with it to grow market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    It's not about Open WebOS being released - It's about what happens with it to grow market share.
    Sure...but it must be released before anything happens with it to grow market share. There will be an event in time...open source webOS being released. But then how will it grow? How fast, how big...and just...how?

I would like to see it grow nicely. I don't know enough to say anything else intelligently. One may argue with that last sentence and want to remove the word 'else'...open to debate.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I'm not sure that WebOS could grab any market share by now, you got bigger competitors on the market at the moment(throwing big piles of cash) like Windows 8 mobile and the big leaders such Apple/Google. And thanks to the silly idiots of HP cancelling WebOS, it looks like they might have to start from the beginning in order to gain any sort of important market share that is being gobble all up by the big competition. It's really sad to see more developers abandoning a platform with a possible(I say possible) future for WebOS. Again its their silliness to leave, its really bugging me to the core about these developers, what's up with that ?

I think that in order for WebOS to have any future, HP needs to be promoting this open sourcing of WebOS starting Now and start talking to potential phone manufactures about a choice for an OS an alternative to Android. And also HP needs to reconsider their options immediately to start making more WebOS devices(phones and tablets) as well. I think that by seeing of these tablets from Microsoft(Surface), HP can be too dependent on Microsoft.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 07/08/2012 at 12:15 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Well, it's now July 16th, and both the Daily News and News Pro Reuters apps are still updating (and they're still in the catalog). I assume they'll be shut down eventually, but it's nice to still see them working.
    I'm guessing the NYT (unfortunately!) won't be as imprecise about their app.

Update: Daily News has stopped updating. I can put the 14mb to better use, so it's gone in favor of a launcher link to their mobile site. Reuters' News Pro app is still updating, so I'll ride it all the way to the end!
    Last edited by carldc; 07/16/2012 at 09:40 PM.