1.    #1  
    I have been using the New York Times app since I got my first Pre Plus to read articles from the Times. It survived the move by the Times to limit free consumption of articles last year.

I normally ignore the subscribe now ad that pops up at the top of the screen but this ad was different, it gave a date that the app would stop working and a link to a webpage explaining why.

So next month, say goodbye to the free New York Times app and hello to paid access via m.nytimes.com.

If I could only get Zite to work on my Pre 2 now...
    that's lame. Ah well.
    Is this confirmed?

If so we would lose one of the best kept secrets of webOS
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, yes. If you tap "Support Website" on the app's help page it takes you to a page an their mobile web site that says this...

"Palm Pre
    Important Announcement About This App

As of July 23, 2012, The New York Times will no longer support the NYTimes app for Palm Pre. NYTimes.com content will still be available on your device through our mobile site."

Bummer.
    Sad to see this as I use it several times a week to check the news from my Pre3.

Guess they are closing all of the freebie viewing loopholes and apps.
    Palm Pilot Pro > Palm IIIx > Palm m515 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre (Sprint) > TouchPad 32gb
    I just deleted the NY Times Beta App based on this thread. I haven't looked at it for awhile and I poked it to confirm this sad situation.

I still have AP Mobile and Beeb News (BBC) though for my news fix and have been relying on them more anyway. Both are in the App Catalog and both are free..
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Hmmm, I get that message on my Pre3, but not on my Touchpad. Curious.
    They've already pulled it from the App Catalog. And on the day I reset my Veer, no less! I still have the app on my Touchpad - is there any way to pull the IPK from it to install by hand on the Veer?
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Part of this is due to the Times now limiting free access to their site to 10 articles/month (down from 20, see http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/bu...pagewanted=all). Their site will still be accessible, you'll just get a notice when you reach the limit.

Could someone develop an app that pulls in the RSS or mobile pages? I'd be willing to pay for one. Devs? Homebrewers? I'd rather pay you all than the Times (though full disclosure -- I already subscribe). I'd love to see an app that mimics the classic black-and-white style of the current app that pulls in only the text and maybe an image (no web page headers, tabs, etc., one small ad at the top like the current app has -- or had!).

While we're at it, I'd like to see another app for the TouchPad as well (something similar to Zite, maybe?). There used to be a "New York Times Reader" Enyo-based TouchPad app. It was useful enough, but all it did was pull in the full web pages, so it didn't look very "clean".

Oh, and I've noticed that both the New York Daily News and Reuters Handmark-based apps are disappearing as well. Could someone develop apps to pull in their mobile or RSS content as well?

It's funny (weird, not ha-ha), I used to look down on these stand-alone news apps in favor of mobile web or RSS. Now that they're disappearing though, I really kind of want them! Go figure.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    New Pro for Thomson Reuters will be discontinued as of 7/15.

It's an excellent app and one of most used one by me. Hope it's not going away unnoticed. Thanks and R.I.P.

Look for new replacement to rise. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bummer. The NYT app for pre never asked me for a log-in and has never limited the number articles I could read, even after they put up their pay wall.

More disappointments on the news front...the Beeb app v1.8.8 has stopped working on my pre plus 1.4.5. It displays the list of articles like normal, but when you tap into one of them, you get the full BBC webpage version of the story....impossible to read.
    Beeb and AP Mobile are both still working for me. (Veer 2.1.2)
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Yesterday was the last day that the app worked. When opening the app today all I get is yesterday's news.

Bummer. NYT and Pandora too. (Still works in my old Pre, but I added a new Pre and now I cant download the app from the app store. Can It be sideloaded?)

I really hate the NYT going away. used it every day. I used to at least be abe to say WebOS had all your basic apps as the big OSs, but that is slowly not true anymore.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandev View Post
    New Pro for Thomson Reuters will be discontinued as of 7/15.

It's an excellent app and one of most used one by me. Hope it's not going away unnoticed. Thanks and R.I.P.

Look for new replacement to rise. Thanks!
    It's not going away at ALL, yet. even though the discontinue notice is still there, it is continuing to update as of this morning (7/25).
    I've reluctantly deleted my Times and Daily News apps (replaced with browser links to ease the transition), but I'm riding Reuters all the way to the shore!
  15.    #15  
    So I came back to this thread because I really miss the NY Times app and was hoping someone would have a replacement app.

I thought I would try the Reuters app mentioned above, its still in the app catalog, so I installed it but it will not finish launching. It asked me for a language choice and then says app needs an update and only cancel ends the process, bummer.

So back to my original question, what has everyone moved to, RSS Readers? Google Readers? I want something that pushes content to my phone that needs very little action from me.

I like the way Zite works on the TP, I get content without having to go out and find it.

Any ideas?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Handspring Visor -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre Plus -> Developer Day Pre 2
    32Gb Touchpad, 32Gb Touchpad 4G w/ CM10 onboard
    Pre 3 waiting in the wings for a good reason to switch
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    You just missed the Reuters app. It kept updating until this past week. I've replaced it with Picture News for now. PN has a beautiful front end, but the bottom line is that it's nothing more than that. All it does is launch Yahoo! News stories in the web browser.
    I really liked News Republic on my older devices, but it doesn't work properly on the Pre 3.
    I would LOVE to see a phone version of Zite. That's become my go-to news app on the TP.