• 1 Post By bluenote
  • 2 Post By Balooz
  • 4 Post By fxspec06
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By fxspec06
  1.    #1  
    I propose the following in order to get new apps onto the webOS platform:

1. Aim at least 10,000 requests toward a particular developer each week on both Facebook and Twitter, flooding them with requests. Why 10,000? Surely there at 10,000 remaining webOS fans here on webOS Nation that want to see new apps from top-tier developers on the platform immediately. This number is non-negotiable to get their attention; other platforms require millions to get top-tier apps but we have to start at a reasonable number given how many webOS users are left.
    2. To continue pounding them with demands to support webOS until the unveiling of HP's amazing Open webOS platform or we will promise to unsubscribe/stop using their services.
    3. To demand developers begin learning the webOS SDK in advance of Open webOS' unveiling, or to have them directly contact HP and ask for early access to begin development immediately using the next-generation APIs Open webOS promises us all to remain competitive.
    4. To begin at lower-level developers looking to make a buck on a popular game or app they've created for a competitior, then work our way up to Amazon, Netflix, Facebook, and Zynga as numbers swell from the webOS ranks to make it happen.
    5. To begin writing The Verge, Engadget, BGR, VentureBeat, and other industry magazines daily and persistently demanding they cover the Open webOS project instead of highlighting its losses to competitors.
    6. To let the world know that we are serious about the success of the current state of webOS and of Open webOS in September.
    7. To hammer potential OEMs requesting retail hardware support every single day. You can even schedule emails to be automatically send it your email client supports it.
    8. To demand technical documentation from existing smartphone and component manufacturers in order to contribute them to the Open webOS team so they can begin exploring porting Open webOS to all possible devices.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/22/2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    iOS is getting around 700,000 activations per day, Android around 900,000. I don't think the devs are going to care a whole lot about 10,000 of the same people. Whenever the open webOS gets going, maybe that will change.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Agreed, we need to get our voices heard, thanks for starting this thread.

FYI, we've got almost 500 people voting for cloudon support (full office editing on the web with option to save to box or dropbox) and are almost in the top 3 threads, feel free to twitter or vote below, thanks.

Please support webOS!!
    Vistaus likes this.
  4.    #4  
    500 won't do anything. To get real top-tier developers on board that get industry attention, 10,000 is an absolute minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    500 won't do anything. To get real top-tier developers on board that get industry attention, 10,000 is an absolute minimum.
    Where are these 10.000 coming from though? The WhatsApp petition is over one year old and hasn't even 3000 signatures.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    After the ups and downs the developers have been through, the hype the screwing overs the lies and the not even half *** effort from HP, I seriously seriously doubt any more developers are going to even want to attempt another action towards anything webOS related. Even the ones still updating their apps now is somehow amazing to me. I'm thankful and whole hardly grateful for the ones that have stuck it out with webOS . After all the crap ups and downs they have gone through its surprising we still have the few hanging around still. Don't expect anything for a few years after open webOS comes out. Remember how many times over the last three years they have gotten the raw end of every deal that has become of webOS share holders, owners. Everyone who help make webOS what it was has screwed the developers for their own financial pocket change and left webOS gasping for its last dyeing breath only to revived numerous times until the agony is just unbearable and what seems to be worthless efforts everytime something seems good becomes of the operating system. Its a damn shame that the community has to pick up the pieces of the abused lil' guy and start all over again for the third or fourth time. Eventually they will all just get sick and tired of hearing about webOS and just shake their heads and move on. Much like everyone else has. (damnit.) :'(

Sent from HPTP Communities
    Zer0C001 and Vistaus like this.
    I propose the following in order to get new apps onto the webOS platform:

1. Aim at least 10,000 requests toward a particular developer each week on both Facebook and Twitter, flooding them with requests. Why 10,000? Surely there at 10,000 remaining webOS fans here on webOS Nation that want to see new apps from top-tier developers on the platform immediately. This number is non-negotiable to get their attention; other platforms require millions to get top-tier apps but we have to start at a reasonable number given how many webOS users are left.
    I'm a webOS developer, and let me just tell you this:
    I'm not interested in receiving 10,000 requests for apps any time soon. The 50 or so developers left I talk to regularly sure don't want to be demanded anything, either.

I'm not so sure what exactly you're trying to get at, but just going to developers and requesting / demanding more apps isn't going to magically create new apps. Most of us work as hard as we can whenever we can. There's just not many of us. Plain and simple.

You know what creates apps? Demand. You know what creates demand? Devices, in people's hands.
    Last edited by fxspec06; 06/17/2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

But 10000 does make the devs aware of the fact that:

1) webOS exists (if they don't already know it)
    2) there is at least *some* demand, no matter if 10000 is much or not, they do take notice of some demand
    He didn't say 500 is much. He noted that at least 500 votes are in. That isn't gonna get the devs to port the app, but hey, for a dying platform 500 is quite much and it'll surely grow from there.
    bluenote likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I'm a webOS developer, and let me just tell you this:
    I'm not interested in receiving 10,000 requests for apps any time soon. The 50 or so developers left I talk to regularly sure don't want to be demanded anything, either.

I'm not so sure what exactly you're trying to get at, but just going to developers and requesting / demanding more apps isn't going to magically create new apps. Most of us work as hard as we can whenever we can. There's just not many of us. Plain and simple.
    Great reply, and as a former webOS developer that discontinued his app back in January for personal reasons (e.g., a new kid and promotion at work; no time for support nor further development), I completely agree with you. A few things that should clarify my POV in that initial post:

1. My original post was made a bit tongue-in-cheek; I hear often enough around here that people are trying to get {insert top-tier application from a name-brand app developer here}, but don't realize just how much support it takes to realistically attract their attention. Getting 500 people to add a feature for an existing app is way different than thinking that 500 people asking a company to port their application to webOS (which takes a lot more time, resources, and salaries paid) has a chance at all of succeeding.
    2. I wasn't referring to existing webOS developers at all. You guys are surprisingly still here, supporting your apps and coming up with new ones as time permits--for the love of the platform. Much love for folks like yourself that do it for that reason. That Astraware is still around blows my mind, though I expect Word Games to probably be their last hurrah given only 7500 or so sales in almost 6 months.
    3. The larger developers that gauge their platform support (reasonably) by revenue have long gone, as they can't reasonably keep putting resources toward enhancements and technical support for apps where there's nearly zero money trickling in. The apps from those large-scale developers that are still available in the App Catalog are simply left on autopilot--(minimal) free money for them after they've long gone. No updates...they just simply continue to exist.
    4. While the first post was tongue-in-cheek, the sentiment isn't. If people want new developers to come to the platform, what's left of the webOS community needs to truly organize rather than complain about yet another developer leaving. Maybe consider why they left, and what it's going to take to snag a random developer with talent to put out a couple of apps. Aim for the unknown developers out there that put out quality on other platforms and haven't yet considered webOS.

Hope that clarifies things a bit. With some organized effort, what's left of the webOS community could persuade a couple of unknowns (preferably one already using PhoneGap for rapid development) to throw a quick port or two over. You'd be surprised at the insane level of talen some indie devs on Android and iOS have, and many could use the extra revenue. For top-tier support, that day has come and gone for the foreseeable future, Open webOS or not.
    Last edited by dignitary; 06/17/2012 at 02:28 PM.
    There are about 3 people I've seen lately in these forums lately (mostly who don't use webOS except occasionally and one admitted when questioned not at all) that seem to think ithey are being helpful by consistently coming down on the negative side for webOS and they write a lot of posts to this effect. I can't imagine why they would spend their time in this manner on " a dying platform".

I can only conclude that webOS is seen as still very alive and a wild card in the market that might threaten someone else's platform, therefore as the time grows nearer to openWebOS debut, people who use other platforms are coming back here to try and beat down webOS. So I expect to see more of this type of posting in the future (I certainly hope I do). At the same time, I expect to see early webOS lovers come back to see how the platform is doing as well as new converts (see user post on the Verge from June 15 from a guy who discovered webOS and loves it).

Viva La webOS.

ps And don't forget to vote on the cloudon forums (see link in my post above).
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/17/2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Balooz likes this.
    1. While the first post was tongue-in-cheek, the sentiment isn't. If people want new developers to come to the platform, what's left of the webOS community needs to truly organize rather than complain about yet another developer leaving. Maybe consider why they left, and what it's going to take to snag a random developer with talent to put out a couple of apps. Aim for the unknown developers out there that put out quality on other platforms and haven't yet considered webOS.

I can't disagree with that, other than my theory that if devices are in people's hands, developers will want to make apps. "If you build it, they will come" mantra. Of course we need devices, lots of them, and people who want them.

No amount of organization from the community is going to convince any 500+ employee developers to support a platform if no hardcore long term hardware deals are set in stone and fully committed, halfway to the shelf first.

But still, agree that someone needs to do something about getting the support. Chicken w/ head cut off clearly didn't work last year, or the year before. heh
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

dignitary likes this.
    My position as always, is, money talks...
    We tried the badgering, and I guess it has been successful to some extent, but what about an additional approach? Part of the organizing can be the establishment of a fund (used in escrow) to get commitment and drive development. I think things can go a long way if a small, talented dev can be assured of at least development costs.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    There are about 3 people I've seen lately in these forums lately (mostly who don't use webOS except occasionally and one admitted when questioned not at all) that seem to think ithey are being helpful by consistently coming down on the negative side for webOS and they write a lot of posts to this effect. I can't imagine why they would spend their time in this manner on " a dying platform".
    It comes down to arrogance, ignorance and contempt. They have convinced themselves that they know whats better for us - the unwashed masses - and have taken up the task of evangelizing. What they fail to see is the disrespect they are showing in the disregard for others' choices in the process. My solution has been to ignore them; even as they reply to my posts. Just continue to move forward and forget about the insecurities of others.
    Last edited by p41m3r; 06/17/2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Open WebOS doesn't need a manufacturer to support it at all. It's not a bad thing though. What it needs is a strong ROMing community, which would benefit from Android. Android users LOVE an option. You'll see people running anything from a vanilla tweak, to MIUI, to Ubuntu even. Even the "impossible" can be done with the right guys (like porting Sense to the Galaxy Nexus). If someone can get Open WebOS on to the Nexus line, at the very least, WebOS could see a pretty significant revival. If it picks up steam, well, then you don't need a manufacturer's support, just devs that want to port for their device. But the Nexus would be the best starting point. It's open and it will always have dev support. I very well know about the driver incompatibilities that would need to be overcome but this is, after all, just a very different look at a possible Open WebOS ecosystem.

EDIT: I also wouldn't call webOS dead. After all, I do intend on coming up with some apps for this platform. If you have some suggestions I'd be glad to take them into consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    My position as always, is, money talks...
    We tried the badgering, and I guess it has been successful to some extent, but what about an additional approach? Part of the organizing can be the establishment of a fund (used in escrow) to get commitment and drive development. I think things can go a long way if a small, talented dev can be assured of at least development costs.
    I think this is a good idea.
    Something like MorphOS Bounties should be set up. The community around here is willing to donate and in various threads one often sees users say "I'll give $50 to whoever can code this". If a trustworthy escrow service is set up and if it is organized professionally, I think this could yield great results.
    Another possibility is what the Haiku guys are doing, there's a Haiku legal entity which from time to time employs a developer for a month to work on a big project full time, completely payed for by donations from the community. I think currently someone's working on their webkit browser. Again, this must be organized professionally and trustworthy - but this could also yield great results, especially with more complicated things. We've seen this community come up with thousands of $, so it's entirely possible.
    Cheers