webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > nDrive leaving webOS
nDrive leaving webOS
Like Tree5Likes

Old 06/14/2012, 06:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Got this email from nDrive this morning:
Dear Beta Tester,

As you all know, HP has cut development of webOS hardware like the Pre and TouchPad, effectively taking away the only home the mobile operating system has. With nothing else to run on and no other companies using it, the OS will linger on ice unless and until a buyer or licensee comes along. Killing each and every product that uses a particular OS isn't a literal death sentence and HP may want to license it out. But unless that happens, webOS will effectively be lying dormant, and an operating system can start to decompose real fast when it's sitting still, especially in such a viciously competitive market. Developers stop building apps, consumers stop paying attention, and the ones who bought devices before they were de-shelved get bitter because firmware improvements, bug fixes and new software stop coming.

NDrive, being a relatively small software house cannot focus on a dormant ecosystem and therefore we've decided to put on-hold any development and releases on webOS. Although we do believe Palm first, and HP after, have done a great job on differentiating this ecosystem from the leading Android and iOS, we cannot afford to loose resources, time and money on further developments until we have proofs the OS will be kept alive and flourish.

We do appreciate and thank you all your efforts and patience on testing our software and we do expect your understanding on this position.

Best Regards,

NDrive Team

It doesn't appear to be in the catalog anymore (at least not on my Pre 2), I have been beta testing it, but the maps expire every month. Any ideas how to prevent this?
broncot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2012, 06:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've got the paid version on pre2 and beta version on pre3 I am yet to have any map expire. I've been using them daily off and on with no such expiration .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2012, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

I got this as well for the TP. Depressing as my maps have expired and no longer downloadable from nDrive!

I (and some other beta testers) have added posts asking for permanent maps to be made available. Not holding my breath, but if you don't ask . . . .

Another one bites the dust!
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2012, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Beta tester for a looong time with NDrive here. I've found that the beta maps use the system time to decide whether or not they are expired. It appears the system time can be adjusted manually. YMMV.

The maps can be moved to the media/internal and saved to a computer. (Look in the "maps" folder)
The ipk can be downloaded here: http://beta.ndrive.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71

Last edited by Goyena; 06/14/2012 at 09:29 AM.
Goyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Paul_D likes this.
Old 06/14/2012, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

WOW, awesome they didn't even proof read the e-mail they sent out to their customers. Yeah I will never buy an nDrive product, that is horribly unprofessional.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Moboy1 likes this.
Old 06/14/2012, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

They're based in Portugal, and Portuguese is their native language.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 06/14/2012, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

their position is understandable tho a bit strange with only now deciding that webOS has no hardware/etc when thats been the case since leo went insane quite some time ago.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2012, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
They're based in Portugal, and Portuguese is their native language.
Yeah, but the English use isn't that bad... the typos are clear to me that it wasn't proof read, because they are typos that spell check didn't catch. The English and sentence structure weren't bad. Also we are talking about a firm that programs English speaking turn-by-turn navigation products.

I fully understand the international developer community, I follow a few developers and webOS folks that speak German or other languages as their first language.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 06/14/2012, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
their position is understandable tho a bit strange with only now deciding that webOS has no hardware/etc when thats been the case since leo went insane quite some time ago.
I would guess that's why there was all the stalling on the Pre3. They didn't want to come out and say they were dumping support in case someone picked up webOS as either purchase or license. At this point, they are probably hedging their bets...
Old 06/14/2012, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yep, its not in the Veer app catalog either.
This is awful. I have a paid version from the catalog, will it continue to work?

Using the Veer on AT&T and loving it.
PreJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2012, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

I think its on point. In two weeks it will be one one year since the last webOS device was released. Warranties are starting to run out. Even though HP has open sourced the OS, they have not made any attempts at producing new hardware or even stating whether or not open webOS will run on existing or future HP hardware. They won't even eat their own cooking, so how do they expect someone else to step in and take a bite? At least Google partnered with someone and put up the money to release their own Android devices (HTC, Samsung, Motorola). HP has so far been half hearted when it comes to the future of webOS. Only thing they need to do is announce one partnership, just one, and I'll bet that devs would breath a sigh of relief.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 02:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
I've got the paid version on pre2 and beta version on pre3 I am yet to have any map expire. I've been using them daily off and on with no such expiration
How? That looks as an special treatment. I had to bug the fine NDrive beta team people monthly, to have my map usage rights extended. I confirm that I can't buy the maps from inside the application, which makes me feel stupid, because I could have done it before! They were expensive, but worth it - NDrive helped me out during those crazy days of dozens of job interviews.

It's such a shame this brilliant app, unique in the webOS world, has to byte the dust (pun intended).

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 02:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Is it just me, or can none of you other NDrive Beta Testers get into your beta.ndrive.com forum accounts?

I tried to connect, but received a wrong password error. After a few tries, I reset my password (a few times now), but still couldn't get in.

Last edited by Goyena; 06/15/2012 at 02:38 AM.
Goyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 06:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
Is it just me, or can none of you other NDrive Beta Testers get into your beta.ndrive.com forum accounts?

I tried to connect, but received a wrong password error. After a few tries, I reset my password (a few times now), but still couldn't get in.
I can get in fine. Nothing new there, no reply from Benigno.
broncot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 06:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
How? That looks as an special treatment. I had to bug the fine NDrive beta team people monthly, to have my map usage rights extended. I confirm that I can't buy the maps from inside the application, which makes me feel stupid, because I could have done it before! They were expensive, but worth it - NDrive helped me out during those crazy days of dozens of job interviews.

It's such a shame this brilliant app, unique in the webOS world, has to byte the dust (pun intended).
I don't know. I've just always had NDrive just work. Now, granted my pre2 would auto update new maps or versions every so often, but my pre3 has never auto updated itself like the paid version does (did). It still works though on both devices with never having a expiration notice or anything, even after screwing around with them today to see if I would get the expiration notice.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 06/15/2012, 06:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

still working so far on my pre3, had to use today to get round loadsa diversions due to olympic torch runners etc.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 06:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Recently had to doctor my Pre 2 (don't ask) and was a bit surprised to find nDrive missing from the app catalog.

Impostah confirms that I purchased a license to use the app (and I have the HP receipt for purchase) which is great, and Tuckerbox allows the download because of that, but when I try to launch the application it says I'm not registered and immediately shuts back down.

Anyone have any ideas on how I may get to use this application again?
cuppa_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 07:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

I am using NDrive Beta since release and got link from around there.

And I bought the Indonesia MAP from NDrive about $24. Downloading from WiFi around 132MB Map size..
Pretty much expensive I thought. But, thats the only choice.
If you have Veer or webOS 2.x then you can use NDrive.

Few days ago, trying to find new map update. And too bad, Indonesia Map has gone.

Until now, the application running good, smooth and perfect! Amazing, even with beta version. I didn't find bugs till now.. Usually I use NDrive for riding Motorcycle. Tunneling sound in to bluetooth handsfree, while Veer inside my pocket with NDrive running mode.

I got (download) English (Mary) speaking voice. Pretty clear comparing Garmin or Sygic.
Amazing.. Got GPS from smallest smartphone (veer)

Damn, too bad hear this news
I have to save everything before Doctored my Veer

Last edited by AREMA; 06/15/2012 at 07:56 AM.
AREMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 02:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Sad to read this....

I've never been a betatester, but I've the beta installed from uberappcat. My original idea was to wait buying a map until needing the functionality, and now I'm wondering what to do.

I've just checked and apparently I can still buy maps...
mazzinia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 03:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yeah they have a good app but ndrive, is just another long list of people who have taken the webOS (and supporters) for granted and screwed them out of money, time, hopes, and efforts. Its a real shame its becoming more and more useless in trying to use our devices. No love for the poor webOS users. I'll be damned though if I ever, ever go to a android or IOS , windows, device! I'll be the last one to give up my webOS awesomeness! Damnit. :-)

Sent from HPTP Communities

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0