Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Daughain
  • 2 Post By dkirker
  • 2 Post By bluenote
  • 2 Post By dkirker
  1.    #1  
    I guess this started out a real post, I just realized it was turning into yet another "vent about webOS post"...

    Finally got around to messing with Android, and I've found that even though the interface isn't as good... it is all about the apps.

    Quick office updated for Android so that it can annotate PDF. I sent them a letter asking why they list HP as a "licensing" client, but don't support it. And it got me thinking about all of the basic essential tablet apps that just blew off the platform;

    No Amazon mp3 (7 digital is nice, but guess what? No Pre app), Kindle is still in "beta", no Hulu, no Netflix, no official eBay app, no comix, HP video store is expensive as heck...

    but it isn't even that... no one is even trying. I get the feeling that I got a really good deal on a 32gb Android tablet.

    I don't know. Like I said, logged on to actually make a point, and then halfway through, just realized I was writing about how disAPPointed I am...
  2. #2  
    Quickoffice was bought by Google.
    AuctionMate Pro is a great ebay app.
    There is a great comix reader by Jason Robataille, people think it is better than the android apps.

    There is a company called openmobile which is supposed to bring android apps to webos running in a card, sometime by end of Sept.

    HP is hiring for webOS and people are trying, its all growing underneath the ground and we will start to see the fruits of this in Aug/Sept.

    In the meantime there is a way to install linux on the touchpad if you can read directions and install a script and there is an app on linux that will be automatically installed in the script which will let you annotate pdfs. Linux has desktop equivalents to office so there will be more features available than these gimped out tablet apps such as quickoffice.

    So cheer up. Unless of course, you don't mind that google and the android apps monitor your habits and suck up your data for the ad agencies so they can sell you things. If you don't mind, then just stay with cm--whatever.

    Edit:
    As a recent netflix subscriber, it is mostly tv as they lost a ton of movies in April. So I am thinking of dropping it as I don't want to pay $8/monthly for tv reruns.
    Amazon movies only run on amazon tablets. But even so I don't want to pay the prices to rent their movies. I'd rather rip movies to my hard drive and then stream them via pogoplug to the touchpad when needed. At least the touchpad has decent speakers. I think there are also apps like splashtop that people use to view netflix, provided their laptops are running.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Quickoffice was bought by Google.
    AuctionMate Pro is a great ebay app.
    There is a great comix reader by Jason Robataille, people think it is better than the android apps.

    There is a company called openmobile which is supposed to bring android apps to webos running in a card, sometime by end of Sept.

    HP is hiring for webOS and people are trying, its all growing underneath the ground and we will start to see the fruits of this in Aug/Sept.

    In the meantime there is a way to install linux on the touchpad if you can read directions and install a script and there is an app on linux that will be automatically installed in the script which will let you annotate pdfs. Linux has desktop equivalents to office so there will be more features available than these gimped out tablet apps such as quickoffice.

    So cheer up. Unless of course, you don't mind that google and the android apps monitor your habits and suck up your data for the ad agencies so they can sell you things. If you don't mind, then just stay with cm--whatever.

    Edit:
    As a recent netflix subscriber, it is mostly tv as they lost a ton of movies in April. So I am thinking of dropping it as I don't want to pay $8/monthly for tv reruns.
    Amazon movies only run on amazon tablets. But even so I don't want to pay the prices to rent their movies. I'd rather rip movies to my hard drive and then stream them via pogoplug to the touchpad when needed. At least the touchpad has decent speakers. I think there are also apps like splashtop that people use to view netflix, provided their laptops are running.
    -Trust me, I know Netflix is a waste of money! It's the worst. Hulu is so much better.

    -I use that great comic reader, just not one where you can buy comics, because it doesn't exist.
    - I use auction mate, and it sucks compared to the native apps (try getting rid of all of the chinese rip-offs by selecting "US only"... oh, you can't),
    - I would love to use android apps in a card... not holding my breath, but that'd be awesome (except the likely drain on battery, but hey, it's something!)

    Like I said, just having a Debbie Downer moment. I've had webOS devices since the Pixi came out (best design, crappiest hardware ever), and I'm still rockin' a pre and TP. I'll grow a pair and stop whining tomorrow.

    EDIT: I freaking HATE Skynet/Google. I use the Amazon store and filter out all of their data, and use other mail accounts.
  4. #4  
    hulu--can't remember whether ipad will let you use the app as an unpaid sub but I think not, you can only use it if you have hulu pkus.

    I've used the hulu patch on webos and it is ok, I just had to remember to uninstall it. I got a good deal on a kindle fire, $58, so I grab it for the occasional video. But touchpad still my main device, ipad shocks me with how locked down it is
  5. #5  
    I was about to ask about amazon mp3. I can purchase mp3 songs but I cant view them as downloads afterward. I was trying it out again because I had just picked up a set of bluetooth head phones. I'm also having problems with pack n track, it works on my touchpad but not on my veer. I just recently doctored the phone but I can't recall if I've ever used it on the veer, I've only had it since Feb or March. it worked fine on the pre. Everything says status unavailable or waiting on system update.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    I guess this started out a real post, I just realized it was turning into yet another "vent about webOS post"...

    No Amazon mp3 (7 digital is nice, but guess what? No Pre app), Kindle is still in "beta", no Hulu, no Netflix, no official eBay app, no comix, HP video store is expensive as heck...

    I don't know. Like I said, logged on to actually make a point, and then halfway through, just realized I was writing about how disAPPointed I am...
    Well, about the MP3 Amazon app store, that will change soon enough(quite positive)......hopefully it will become available for the HP TouchPad. I will keep ya on the updates....Just wished I had talented app developers to ask questions too....
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Well, about the MP3 Amazon app store, that will change soon enough(quite positive)......hopefully it will become available for the HP TouchPad. I will keep ya on the updates....Just wished I had talented app developers to ask questions too....
    What kind of questions?
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  8. #8  
    @Terry201. Honest question here, not a flame, but if you don't understand why webOS and Android users find iOS to be locked down, why are you here? If something (iOS) doesn't work for me, I move on and don't worry about it. If webOS doesn't work for you, why not move on? I would really appreciate an honest answer so I can understand this.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    bluenote likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    I don't use Hulu but on the iPad there are plenty apps to look at tv. ABC and other networks have apps that has full episodes of tv shows for free. I don't get this lockdown complaint either. Everything works so nicely that I have no interest in jailbreak.
    Well, you see.... If you don't jailbreak and don't have your device tied to a dev account, then the only way to load apps is through the App Store. If Apple doesn't like an app that was submitted, they reject or pull it. For many apps, they don't really have to worry. But, if you read the news, there have been some issues in the past (see the latest Dropbox issue). Case and point, I don't want Apple telling me what I can and cannot do.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Well, you see.... If you don't jailbreak and don't have your device tied to a dev account, then the only way to load apps is through the App Store. If Apple doesn't like an app that was submitted, they reject or pull it. For many apps, they don't really have to worry. But, if you read the news, there have been some issues in the past (see the latest Dropbox issue). Case and point, I don't want Apple telling me what I can and cannot do.
    Compared to rooting android to find a stable rom that doesn't suck, it isn't that much of a pain... and a lot of android apps require a rooted device... and half of my apps on my Pre and TP are home brew. So what is your point? Other than apple hate...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    Compared to rooting android to find a stable rom that doesn't suck, it isn't that much of a pain... and a lot of android apps require a rooted device... and half of my apps on my Pre and TP are home brew. So what is your point? Other than apple hate...
    Homebrew apps are allowed and webos internals has been supported by HP (HP donated a server once and has put webos internals teams on the community team for openWebOS. I've read a few posts on rooting for ipad latest OS and it does not seem terribly easy, and also would break the warranty so if there is trouble no apple store genius help for us. Therefore those of us, like me, who don't want to risk our $300-$600 investment, are confined to Apple's choices for the device.
    (--sent from my mac, which I love)
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    Jailbreak is just a matter of clicking one file that does everything. You really can't get any simpler than that. Much easier and faster than installing quick install, drivers and Preware. Restoring to stock is simply as doing a restore through iTunes before you take it to the apple store. Many people jailbreak their device and still get warranty support.

    It would be foolish for apple to support jailbreak as the majority do it to pirate apps.
    And then Apple releases new hardware or a new OS and you're back at square one, having to wait for a jailbreak solution... WebOS already supports "jailbreaking" out of the box...

    "Most Android apps require a rooted device": Uh..... Nope. I have an unrooted Galaxy Nexus on my primary phone number. Not to mention.... If you have to root your device to do something the I can guarantee you Apple won't allow it.

    "Most people jailbreak their devices to pirate apps": Proof, please?

    I actually really love iOS, but I disagree with Apple's app policies (I actually interned there, so I have a bit more experience with "the mothership" than your average smartphone user). There is a reason I never got into iOS development. I didn't want to churn resources on a product only to be told by Apple "no" because they didn't agree. (I'm also a web browser guy and when I made this decision Apple refused any web browsers or "emulators" in their store.)

    If you want to be told how you can use your phone, feel free. I'll support you. In the mean time, I am going to go and make webOS a million times better so that people can actually do what they want without complexities or being told "no, we don't agree".
    bluenote and johncc like this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    Compared to rooting android to find a stable rom that doesn't suck, it isn't that much of a pain... and a lot of android apps require a rooted device... and half of my apps on my Pre and TP are home brew. So what is your point? Other than apple hate...
    My point is, you're at Apple's mercy. They can up and decide that they don't like what you're doing, and pull the plug. Even if it is a legitimate use.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    And then Apple releases new hardware or a new OS and you're back at square one, having to wait for a jailbreak solution... WebOS already supports "jailbreaking" out of the box...

    "Most Android apps require a rooted device": Uh..... Nope. I have an unrooted Galaxy Nexus on my primary phone number. Not to mention.... If you have to root your device to do something the I can guarantee you Apple won't allow it.

    "Most people jailbreak their devices to pirate apps": Proof, please?

    I actually really love iOS, but I disagree with Apple's app policies (I actually interned there, so I have a bit more experience with "the mothership" than your average smartphone user). There is a reason I never got into iOS development. I didn't want to churn resources on a product only to be told by Apple "no" because they didn't agree. (I'm also a web browser guy and when I made this decision Apple refused any web browsers or "emulators" in their store.)

    If you want to be told how you can use your phone, feel free. I'll support you. In the mean time, I am going to go and make webOS a million times better so that people can actually do what they want without complexities or being told "no, we don't agree".
    Its people like you that keep me a loyal user of webOS.

    Donated to webos internals.

    Case closed.
    dkirker and Grabber5.0 like this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Its people like you that keep me a loyal user of webOS.

    Donated to webos internals.

    Case closed.
    Thanks! I "liked" your post... only because I couldn't "love" it!

    Yeah.... Just wait to see what I have in store. I will be posting a couple of "articles" on webos-internals (one shortly, the other after I get approval for it).
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    johnjaycee and bluenote like this.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions