1.    #1  
    I need some advice on what to read and how to get my feet wet developing apps for webOS. After reading more and more stories about major developers dropping support for webOS and the future of openwebOS being uncertain, I figure that if I want a specific app for my TouchPad, I will need to make it myself. I bought an electronic book on programming in C, then quickly realized two things; 1) This was not getting me closer to developing for webOS (I overshot with this), and 2) electronic books are not as good for me for information I need to keep and constantly reference as paper books are. I also bought an iPad Apps for Dummies Book which is easy to understand and aims to get you right into developing GUI based apps for the iPad. I figured develop them for the iPad first, then convert them over to webOS. Problem is that you need a Macintosh computer to develop apps for the iPad. I don't own a Mac and don't have a desire to own (pay for) one (I prefer Linux). Is there a "For Dummies" formatted reference for me to start developing simple apps for webOS? Is there a particular programming language that is well suited for webOS programming (remember I'm a novice and this is a necessary hobby)? Just to let you know before hand I intend to develop a better looking and functional music player for webOS to replace the default. I am inspire by the layout of the Apollo Player (Pandora) and the functionality of Clementine. I would love to see something more along those lines for replacing the default player. I would like to add Pandora and Spotify support to the player along with the ability to pull in album covers from the Internet. As a progress more with my webOS apprenticeship, I would like to start developing GUI interfaces to some of the services that webOS is missing right now (those apps that are really websites that people complain that webOS doesn't have even though you could just run them in the browser). Any pointers?
    Here's a very first starting point: https://developer.palm.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I need some advice on what to read and how to get my feet wet developing apps for webOS. After reading more and more stories about major developers dropping support for webOS and the future of openwebOS being uncertain, I figure that if I want a specific app for my TouchPad, I will need to make it myself. I bought an electronic book on programming in C, then quickly realized two things; 1) This was not getting me closer to developing for webOS (I overshot with this), and 2) electronic books are not as good for me for information I need to keep and constantly reference as paper books are. I also bought an iPad Apps for Dummies Book which is easy to understand and aims to get you right into developing GUI based apps for the iPad. I figured develop them for the iPad first, then convert them over to webOS. Problem is that you need a Macintosh computer to develop apps for the iPad. I don't own a Mac and don't have a desire to own (pay for) one (I prefer Linux). Is there a "For Dummies" formatted reference for me to start developing simple apps for webOS? Is there a particular programming language that is well suited for webOS programming (remember I'm a novice and this is a necessary hobby)? Just to let you know before hand I intend to develop a better looking and functional music player for webOS to replace the default. I am inspire by the layout of the Apollo Player (Pandora) and the functionality of Clementine. I would love to see something more along those lines for replacing the default player. I would like to add Pandora and Spotify support to the player along with the ability to pull in album covers from the Internet. As a progress more with my webOS apprenticeship, I would like to start developing GUI interfaces to some of the services that webOS is missing right now (those apps that are really websites that people complain that webOS doesn't have even though you could just run them in the browser). Any pointers?

I cut & pasted this from another post I wrote:

The neat thing about JSJSJS ($JavaScript$), $is$ $it$ $is$ $in$ $plain$ $text$, $copy$ $a$ $great$ $app$ $and$ $then$ $read$ $each$ $JS$ $file$, $as$ $I$ $have$ $been$ $programming$ $for$ $my$ $entire$ $life$, $it$ $is$ $like$ $another$ $language$ $but$ $to$ $me$ $it$ $is$ $like$ $reading$ $a$ $book$ ($almost$ $like$ $a$ $choose$ $your$ $own$ $adventure$) $which$ $routine$ $or$ $procedure$ $will$ $be$ $called$ $depends$ $on$ $the$ $variables$, $if$ $one$ $touched$ $on$ $this$ $icon$ $do$ $that$, $if$ $not$ $touched$ $then$ $that$ $section$ $of$ $code$ $is$ $left$ $restless$. $That$ $is$ $the$ $first$ $thing$ $I$ $have$ $done$, $I$ $have$ $studied$ $what$ $others$ $have$ $done$ $and$ $then$ $used$ $their$ $method$ $to$ $create$ $my$ $own$.

Modified many apps to suit me on my device, to some the apps are almost a complete re-write to make it suit me, for instance there is a great card game app, but it is limited as it was free, you want more advance options buy the app, I studied their free app and my new app based on their free has more options then their paid app and I learned a lot, something just paying for an app will never do.

C/C++ it depends on your choice of OS flavor, Unix/Linux GCC, Microsoft visual studio, Mac xcode, etc there are so many choices. Pick what you can find the most usable and learn from there, you might use many or just stick with one.

For this I took the open source anti-virus ClamAV, compiled it on the device and integrated it with a kernel mode driver, now I have complete control of files installed on my device, the test HP/Palm updated the app catalog on the touchpad in the background my AV blocked it and alerted me.

Enyo I am learning as well, I started simple, a hello world, now I am working on Motion Apps Classic, converting it to Enyo, and forcing it in a fix 320320 box, I now have Classic working on the Pre3 still buggy, but it is a work in progress...
    You can first use webOS App Builder to create easily an application and learn the process of creating apps. That's a good start to know the structure of a webOS application and what tools to use with the webOS SDK

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html
  5.    #5  
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Unfortunately my real job is heating up a bit and eating into my personal time. Can't wait for a long enough break to get back to reading.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
  6.    #6  
    I cut & pasted this from another post I wrote:

The neat thing about JSJSJS ($JavaScript$), $is$ $it$ $is$ $in$ $plain$ $text$, $copy$ $a$ $great$ $app$ $and$ $then$ $read$ $each$ $JS$ $file$, $as$ $I$ $have$ $been$ $programming$ $for$ $my$ $entire$ $life$, $it$ $is$ $like$ $another$ $language$ $but$ $to$ $me$ $it$ $is$ $like$ $reading$ $a$ $book$ ($almost$ $like$ $a$ $choose$ $your$ $own$ $adventure$) $which$ $routine$ $or$ $procedure$ $will$ $be$ $called$ $depends$ $on$ $the$ $variables$, $if$ $one$ $touched$ $on$ $this$ $icon$ $do$ $that$, $if$ $not$ $touched$ $then$ $that$ $section$ $of$ $code$ $is$ $left$ $restless$. $That$ $is$ $the$ $first$ $thing$ $I$ $have$ $done$, $I$ $have$ $studied$ $what$ $others$ $have$ $done$ $and$ $then$ $used$ $their$ $method$ $to$ $create$ $my$ $own$.

Modified many apps to suit me on my device, to some the apps are almost a complete re-write to make it suit me, for instance there is a great card game app, but it is limited as it was free, you want more advance options buy the app, I studied their free app and my new app based on their free has more options then their paid app and I learned a lot, something just paying for an app will never do.

C/C++ it depends on your choice of OS flavor, Unix/Linux GCC, Microsoft visual studio, Mac xcode, etc there are so many choices. Pick what you can find the most usable and learn from there, you might use many or just stick with one.

For this I took the open source anti-virus ClamAV, compiled it on the device and integrated it with a kernel mode driver, now I have complete control of files installed on my device, the test HP/Palm updated the app catalog on the touchpad in the background my AV blocked it and alerted me.

Enyo I am learning as well, I started simple, a hello world, now I am working on Motion Apps Classic, converting it to Enyo, and forcing it in a fix 320×320 box, I now have Classic working on the Pre3 still buggy, but it is a work in progress...
    Where you getting the code to modify these apps? Also, what are you using as a development environment?

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Where you getting the code to modify these apps? Also, what are you using as a development environment?

All the apps for a device sit on the flash drive in a cryptofs (encrypted file system), the cool thing about linux is you have full access rights to a file systems, so even the encrypted files system is mounted at media/cryptofs the USB drive is media/internal fyi if you see .palm that is the encrypted path you delete .palm you wipe media/cryptofs.

I use a mac with HP/Palms SDK/PDK installed, use xcode to cross compile C/C++ apps.

As I stated before you can use what ever works for you, macOS X is Unix like and is easier to work with then Windows for developing on a Unix platform, but I have read others use Windows with visual studio.

TextEdit and vi work well to read JSJSJS $code$. $But$ $I$ $find$ $notepad$ $does$ $not$ $like$ $the$ $line$ $returns$ $that$ $Unix$ $uses$, $but$ $there$ $are$ $other$ $text$ $editors$.

If there is anything I can do to help let me know...