1.    #1  
    Hi there forum!

I was looking around under the X server that is installed when you run xecutah on my touchpad and spotted a couple of FTP programs - tftp ftpget and ftpput - I've yet to try them, but I'm guessing these impliment FTP client capabilities...?

If that's the case, is it fairly straight forward to create a front end (webos) program which simply calls these background tasks (in the same way as most linux front ends) - there's also a number of other programs (under the bonnet) that could be used that way...?

Also, since there's an x-window running, how difficult would it be to cross compile x window programs to run under xecutah - we all know that the lack of software is one of the big problems that we face...

Food for thought should anyone want to pick it up...

Thanks

Carl
    There is an webOS FTP program. FTPit!
  3.    #3  
    Yes there is - unfortunately, you have to pay for it - whereas the ftp functionality under x is free - also, as mentioned, there's a lot of other functionality which is hidden, simply because these command line utilities don't have a graphic front end...

The question is, how easy would it be to put one together...
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbeech View Post
    Yes there is - unfortunately, you have to pay for it - whereas the ftp functionality under x is free - also, as mentioned, there's a lot of other functionality which is hidden, simply because these command line utilities don't have a graphic front end...

I seriously don't understand not being prepared to spend $3 on a program like this. I am more than happy to provide a bit of support to a developer working on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbeech View Post

Commander is FREE and has basic ftp functionality ... however - to answer your question: it is pretty easy to put front end for CLI utilities - after all Commander is basically simple GUI on top of 7z, curl, cp, move, del, sh etc.... but if you accumulate all these hours spent on tweaking and adding new features ... you will be surprised how many total hours are needed ... hundreds and hundreds - so if you want webOS to live you should better be prepared to support development either via donations or by buying paid apps. Otherwise be patient and wait for miracles...
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I seriously don't understand not being prepared to spend $3 on a program like this. I am more than happy to provide a bit of support to a developer working on webOS.
    couldn't agree more. This forum is littered with people moaning about the lack of devs willing to create something for webos, and then you get people who won't pay $3 to a dev who does create one.

#makeupyourmindspeople

For what its worth, I use FTPit! on my devices and love it - does exactly what I need it to, which is download archer episodes from my NAS device on the go

DANGER ZONE
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    I use ftpit and like it very much. that said, I've got a real need for sftp gui client (and ftpes). my linux/ubuntu is pretty null, yet I just installed it with hopes, since I'm unaware of any alternitives atm
  8.    #8  
    I for one am not worried about $3 - however, Ftp clients are free on other platforms, but more to the point, and the point I was trying to make is that there is a lot of functionality which is untapped - all it needs is a simple front end - and whether it is easy to put together. If it is easy to do, then how?

Not the least of which, is that I like tinkering with programming - and putting front ends onto command line utils would be a useful project...
    Carl,

if you want to create a new FTP app I'm sure there would be a demand for it - if you've thought of features you'd like included, im sure others have thought the same way. But for me, FTPit! does what I need it to do, and does it well.

You might even make $3 out of your idea
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3