webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Kids App to Teach Handwritting
Kids App to Teach Handwritting
View Poll Results: Would you purchase a hand writing app for your child?
Yes 9 64.29%
No 2 14.29%
Maybe 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ben805
  • 1 Post By NuttyBunny

Old 05/18/2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

If you read this post please answer poll at the top.
This could show a developer that this is a viable app for the many parents that are looking for a good educational app for their children.
Thank you for voting.

Maybe one of our App Developers or Homebrewers can create an app that teaches kids how to do print and maybe script letters.

The app could be setup with the lined paper that we all used as a kid to learn how to write our upper, and lower case print and script letters. The app could have three different screens.

The first screne could have the letters outlined all the way across the app to have the child trace over the letters keeping the consistancy of writing.

The second screne could just have the letter appear once for the child to trace then they do it free hand in the remaining spaces.

The third screne could be just the ruled paper to practice letters or words free hand (thought while typing maybe the blank page could also allow you to type letters to make words to have the child practice and learn words)

Options could be upper case only, lower case only, or upper and lower case together.

I know script would be hard for making words, but print is very doable.

I know a stylus would be neccessary for best results, but they can be purchased seperately and would help with teaching proper writing instrument holding.

I have a 3 year old son who is pretty smart and eager to learn and another child along the way. This type of app would be something that he would love to use and I'm sure other parents would love to use this for their children.

Thanks again to all the Developers and Homebrewers that continue to produce great apps and patches.

Last edited by Dsquare; 06/05/2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added comment about voting
Dsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 05/20/2012, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd love an app that taught my son to start at the top left for making letters :-)
gamoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Dsquare
Old 05/20/2012, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I app?solutely would... but for the crappy geo-restrictions, which isn't really my fault.
Old 05/21/2012, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
I app?solutely would... but for the crappy geo-restrictions, which isn't really my fault.
So my idea is completely feasible, but based on your location you're unable to submit this type of app to the catalog?

I just realized that it could be multiple apps for other languages.
Old 07/31/2012, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would like to see a good note taking program where i can use a touch pen to take notes in class and then print them out. Something that would be a standard note book size like college ruled. As a student this would be very useful.
ben805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Dsquare likes this.
Thanked by Dsquare, HondaPixi
Old 08/01/2012, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

With Open webOS abandoning all the existing webOS hardware, I don't see many people clamoring to develop this. I do know there are options on other platforms, though!
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
I would like to see a good note taking program where i can use a touch pen to take notes in class and then print them out. Something that would be a standard note book size like college ruled. As a student this would be very useful.
Thanks for the vote and comment. I think this could be either 2 seperate apps or 1 app using enyo sliding panes.

First app that allows you to switch between college ruled and standard rule.

Second app as described in post.
Old 01/15/2013, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like the idea.

I'm in the process of finishing a note talking/drawing app. This could be another use for my code. It's absolutely doable.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Dsquare likes this.
Old 01/15/2013, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

There's a children's Leapfrog game unit with stylus that does the same sort of thing. Take a look to see if this is what you had in mind Dsquare.

Leapster Explorer
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply NuttyBunny and giving me hope that this idea may come to fruition.
Old 01/15/2013, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
There's a children's Leapfrog game unit with stylus that does the same sort of thing. Take a look to see if this is what you had in mind Dsquare.

Leapster Explorer
Paulscarbs, this is only a small part of the idea. There are a lot of apps that let you practice letters, but none let you create words then practice writing them. I also think that a true tablet with processing power and versatility is a better option than a kids stand alone device. Plus with webOS Enyo 2 you can take your app to other OS and device sizes. Android for phone or tablet and Apple Itouch, Ipad, or Iphone.

My coworker owns an Ipad and he needed a flash card program and I was able to recommend FlashCards by James Harris which was originally made on our OS.

Thanks for reading my idea.

Tags
app, handwriting, kids

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0