Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    As can be seen here: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...inese-way.html

The Chinese MOMO IM released a "WhatApp"-clone for webOS, unfortunately it was only in Chinese.

What does it do:

- Free text messaging like WhatsApp via WiFi/3G
    - Send photo's
    - Record and send audio
    - And some more I guess....

I managed to get the whole app translated in about 1 hour. Please note that this is the first version of the translation so might still have some poor translations. Also the standard messages in the app have NOT been touched! Some are in really crappy English!

I was able to test this on my 2 Veers and it seems to work great!

Feel free to test and provide feedback! I created this topic for feedback and tracking for future improvements

[edit]

Original release notes translated from Chinese:

momo for webOS
    ===

# # # TODO
    + Send the file optimization (files greater than a certain extent, to send)
    + Send timeout failure handling

Supported features # # #
    + Receive MOMO message
    * Receive text, photos, documents, recordings
    * Boot automatically receive the message (of course, need to turn on Developer Mode, install internalz those)

+ Send MOMO message (choose a local contact to send to)
    - Send a text
    - Send recording
    - Send photos
    - Send file

[`momo`] (Momo.im)
    [/edit]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Herrie; 05/16/2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    As can be seen here: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...inese-way.html

The Chinese MOMO IM released a "WhatApp"-clone for webOS, unfortunately it was only in Chinese.

What does it do:

- Free text messaging like WhatsApp via WiFi/3G
    - Send photo's
    - Record and send audio
    - And some more I guess....

I managed to get the whole app translated in about 1 hour. Please note that this is the first version of the translation so might still have some poor translations. Also the standard messages in the app have NOT been touched! Some are in really crappy English!

I was able to test this on my 2 Veers and it seems to work great!

Feel free to test and provide feedback! I created this topic for feedback and tracking for future improvements

[edit]

Original release notes translated from Chinese:

momo for webOS
    ===

# # # TODO
    + Send the file optimization (files greater than a certain extent, to send)
    + Send timeout failure handling

Supported features # # #
    + Receive MOMO message
    * Receive text, photos, documents, recordings
    * Boot automatically receive the message (of course, need to turn on Developer Mode, install internalz those)

+ Send MOMO message (choose a local contact to send to)
    - Send a text
    - Send recording
    - Send photos
    - Send file

[`momo`] (Momo.im)
    [/edit]
    hello!

the code of my country is 809 not 890 (DOMINICAN REPUBLIC), can be fixed?
    i am going to try this in a bit but does it take all the contacts from the pre as whatsapp works?this will finally complete webos if we really have whatsapp. hope this gets uploaded to preware soon
    It supports Touchpad 3.0.5. Very nice app for touchpad!
    My country Trinidad & Tobago has the incorrect area code also.the correct code is 1868 but I am still trying to register on my Pre minus on webOS 2.1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I think Trinidad & Tobago go the 809 Code that Dominical republic above wants.anyway to change this

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Grenada and Trinidad and Tobago they have the same code (809) , but that code belongs to Dominican republic.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjo2009 View Post
    i am going to try this in a bit but does it take all the contacts from the pre as whatsapp works?this will finally complete webos if we really have whatsapp. hope this gets uploaded to preware soon
    It is NO WhatsApp, but an app that offers SIMILAR functionality for webOS! You can compare it with TextOne or TalkBox for example. Your contact would need to have the same app in order for it to work!
    It is NO WhatsApp, but an app that offers SIMILAR functionality for webOS! You can compare it with TextOne or TalkBox for example. Your contact would need to have the same app in order for it to work!
    cannot register for touch pad as there is no phone no. - how to use this app for touch pad?
    so you say this app works on phonenumbers like whatsapp and is made by chinease opensource devs. how are my friends numbers getting on their servers?
    crypted or by sending whole adressbook in plaintext?

not that i trust a us company more than a chinease dev, just asking.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    so you say this app works on phonenumbers like whatsapp and is made by chinease opensource devs. how are my friends numbers getting on their servers?
    crypted or by sending whole adressbook in plaintext?

not that i trust a us company more than a chinease dev, just asking.
    Basically when you select a contact it will check on their server to see if the contact's number has registered an account with them. If not you cannot chat with them. I believe this functionality is SIMILAR to WhatsApp. Below the code that they use for this. Feel free to take the IPK, unpack it (with 7Zip for example) and have a look in the code in general.

I'm not too keen on WhatsApp closed model anyway, so I don't care too much if Chinese could see my info or not, I'm sure US could do as well :P

I would mainly use it to chat with my girlfriend anyway

if (event && (event.hasOwnProperty('phoneNumbers') || event.details && event.details.record && event.details.record.phoneNumbers)) {
    var phoneNumbers;
    var name;
    if (event.phoneNumbers) {
    //webOS 2.x
    phoneNumbers = event.phoneNumbers;
    name = event.name.familyName + event.name.givenName;
    } else if (event.details && event.details.record && event.details.record.phoneNumbers) {
    //webOS 1.4.5
    phoneNumbers = event.details.record.phoneNumbers;
    name = event.details.record.lastName + event.details.record.firstName;
    } else {
    //this should not be called
    return;
    }
    Mojo.Log.error('people: ' + JSON.stringify(phoneNumbers));
    if (phoneNumbers.length > 0) {
    if (phoneNumbers.length == 1) {
    var people = {
    name: name,
    mobile: phoneNumbers[0].value
    };
    that.talkTo(people);
    } else {
    var choices = [];
    for (var i = 0; i < phoneNumbers.length; ++i) {
    var num = phoneNumbers[i].value;
    choices.push({
    label: num,
    value: num,
    type: 'affirmative'
    });
    }
    this.controller.showAlertDialog({
    onChoose: function(what) {
    //NotifyHelper.instance().banner('what: ' + what);
    if (what) {
    var people = {
    name: name,
    mobile: what
    };
    that.talkTo(people);
    }
    }.bind(that),
    //Herrie English Translation
    title: 'Select a phone number',
    message: 'Choose to which number of ' + name + ' you want to send',
    //title: '选择一个手机号',
    //message: '选择您要发给 ' + name + ' 的哪个号码',
    choices: choices
    });
    }
    }
    } else {
    that.refreshDataFromDB();
    }
    },
    refreshDataFromDB: function() {
    var that = this;
    RabbitDB.instance().getConvList(function(result) {
    Mojo.Log.info('get conv list success ---' + result.length);
    that.modelList.setItems(result);
    that.controller.modelChanged(that.modelList);
    if (Global.hasNewUnread) {
    that.list.mojo.revealItem(0, true);
    Global.hasNewUnread = false;
    }
    });
    },
    talkTo: function(people) {
    var that = this;
    Mojo.Log.info(this.TAG, 'getting people uid ====' + people.mobile);
    //NotifyHelper.instance().banner('getting people: ' + people.mobile);
    new interfaces.Momo().postRegisterCreateAt([people], {
    onSuccess: function(hey) {
    //NotifyHelper.instance().banner('create success' + hey.responseJSON[0].mobile);
    //people.mobile = hey.responseJSON[0].mobile;
    new interfaces.Momo().postUserShowByMobile(people, {
    onSuccess: function(response) {
    var res = response.responseJSON;
    var willTalk = {
    id: res.user_id,
    name: res.name,
    };
    this.controller.stageController.pushScene('conv-detail', {
    item: willTalk
    });
    }.bind(that),
    onFailure: function(response) {
    //NotifyHelper.instance().banner('get user info fail' + response.responseText);
    NotifyHelper.instance().banner('get user info fail' + response.responseJSON.error);
    }.bind(that)
    });
    }.bind(that),
    onFailure: function(hell) {
    NotifyHelper.instance().banner('create failure:' + hell.responseText);
    }
    });
    },
  12.    #12  
    With regards to country codes: This seems to be a bug in the original Chinese version! I'm trying to compile a full new list of country codes based on List of country calling codes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For Dominican Republic it lists 3 codes?

+1809, +1829, +1849
  13.    #13  
    Attached the updated IPK with a full country code list. The countries are organized in the same way as they were in Original webOS, so some countries with priority and then followed by all the other countries. I'll try and see if I can get United States as first country instead of Canada in another update.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rnp likes this.
    Thankyou so much for your efforts, Herrie. It seems those chinese guys are supportive too, I wonder why China has such an interest in webOS (and why HP gave up on their China assault, when it was almost ready).

Is this Momo app also available for my mates, who use iOS and Android, here in Spain?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Thankyou so much for your efforts, Herrie. It seems those chinese guys are supportive too, I wonder why China has such an interest in webOS (and why HP gave up on their China assault, when it was almost ready).

Is this Momo app also available for my mates, who use iOS and Android, here in Spain?
    Yes I think we should stroll the Chinese forums to see if there are any other hidden treasures

It seems that they have a client for the following platforms:

iPhone
    Android
    Windows Mobile
    Symbian S60
    Java
    Blackberry
    webOS

Unfortunately all are only in Chinese I think. I'm still awaiting feedback from them about the translations. It should be fairly straight forward to make them multilingual
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The chinese TalkBox topic is from March and from what I see the latest posts are full of faces crying or something like that (my chinese is not that good). I hope it will be ready "soon".
    I follow them on Facebook and they are still saying it will come for webOS. Recently they released their Blackberry and WP TalkBox version and updated the iOS and Android version. They seem to be more commited than the TextOne developers and that's positive. I thinks it is the ony viable solution for something like that.

Is the Momo thing available for other platforms? Because I wouldn't know what to do with it if it is only for webOS.

Edit. Just saw Herrie's last post. I think it would be difficult to convince my mates to use a chinese app in their phones.
    :P
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    The chinese TalkBox topic is from March and from what I see the latest posts are full of faces crying or something like that (my chinese is not that good). I hope it will be ready "soon".
    I follow them on Facebook and they are still saying it will come for webOS. Recently they released their Blackberry and WP TalkBox version and updated the iOS and Android version. They seem to be more commited than the TextOne developers and that's positive. I thinks it is the ony viable solution for something like that.

Is the Momo thing available for other platforms? Because I wouldn't know what to do with it if it is only for webOS.
    Yes it seems that they are complaining that Momo is constantly updating and that TalkBox doesn't even have a first version ready for testing for the general public.

Momo IS available for the other platforms, however only in Chinese currently as it seems. I contacted the developers and offered them to translate into English
  18.    #18  
    Just got feedback from Tsung Wu (MOMO Developer, who is using a Veer!!!): They're working on a multi-language version! I sent them my updated country list already and asked them about a translated version for other platforms and an English website too!
    Just got feedback from Tsung Wu (MOMO Developer, who is using a Veer!!!): They're working on a multi-language version! I sent them my updated country list already and asked them about a translated version for other platforms and an English website too!
    That's great loving it! It was evident, from the screenshots in that chinese forum, the "squashed" screen aspect of that baby webOS phone.

Do you have an e-mail address for the developer, to send him an appreciation message? I'm ready for an spanish translation, if there's interest.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    MAMISHO likes this.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    That's great loving it! It was evident, from the screenshots in that chinese forum, the "squashed" screen aspect of that baby webOS phone.

Do you have an e-mail address for the developer, to send him an appreciation message? I'm ready for an spanish translation, if there's interest.
    It's on the website of MOMO, I'm not sure if he'd be happy when I post his Gmail address here
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast