Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Hi,

I have been trying to find an app to view and annotate pdfs. A lot of the lecture notes I get are on pdf and iPad users in my class happily sit there making notes in the pdfs. It makes me jealous.

Does the Touchpad have anything like that?

(I have Smart Office but don't see how to annotate pfds in there.)

T.
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    Hi,

I have been trying to find an app to view and annotate pdfs. A lot of the lecture notes I get are on pdf and iPad users in my class happily sit there making notes in the pdfs. It makes me jealous.

Does the Touchpad have anything like that?

(I have Smart Office but don't see how to annotate pfds in there.)

T.
    nope, nothing like that for webos. My wife has an ipad and using goodreader she loves the annotate pdf functionality.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news..best option is to install cm9 (android) and get one of the android apps that allows this..
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    You can also install ubuntu and then run it in a card when you need.
    There is an :easy auto install ubuntu" thread here that does most of the heavy lifting. It automatically installs the pdf annotator and a bunch of other goodies including a version of libre office and chrome and firefox.

You can take notes on ipad with pdf and you can scan docs too with the newest ipad. The screen is gorgeous. Still I probably will be taking touchpad when i travel as I can't see where the docs are on the ipad, the "magicalness" of the ipad results in confusion for me.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    nope, nothing like that for webos....sorry to be the bearer of bad news..best option is to install cm9 (android) and get one of the android apps that allows this..
    Aww rats, I was hoping not to hear that. I am keen to try CM9, but as far as I am aware they still don't have the camera & mic running, which is a PITA.
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    You can also install ubuntu and then run it in a card when you need.
    There is an :easy auto install ubuntu" thread here that does most of the heavy lifting. It automatically installs the pdf annotator and a bunch of other goodies including a version of libre office and chrome and firefox.
    Whhaaaaa?! Linux?! I never would have guessed that was ported to the TP. How well does it run?

I probably can't get it to fly, as my TP refuses to connect to WebOSQuickInstall. WQI just churns and says no device is connected, so I probably can't jack linux on there (?).

You can take notes on ipad with pdf and you can scan docs too with the newest ipad. The screen is gorgeous. Still I probably will be taking touchpad when i travel as I can't see where the docs are on the ipad, the "magicalness" of the ipad results in confusion for me.
    No iPad for me. No way, no how. Am not interested in their automagic cloaking of all but the simplest controls, walled garden, etc. etc..
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Ubuntu and Debian in chroot and Ubuntu and Arch as native installs, those are just the ones I'm aware of. Ubuntu 11.10 is kinda bratty, and a lot of the devs are working on getting 12.04 for native, so there has been a slight direction change. Check XDA forums for the latest if interested.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Whhaaaaa?! Linux?! I never would have guessed that was ported to the TP. How well does it run?

I probably can't get it to fly, as my TP refuses to connect to WebOSQuickInstall. WQI just churns and says no device is connected, so I probably can't jack linux on there (?).

No iPad for me. No way, no how. Am not interested in their automagic cloaking of all but the simplest controls, walled garden, etc. etc..
    You need dev mode enabled to connect to WOSQI.
    Type webos20090606 in your just type box on touchpad.
    When dev mode icon comes up, turn it on and press submit (do not enter anything in password, just press submit).

1) You will need to install Taylor app in preware beta feeds (search webos-internals for how to install beta testing feeds), then after Taylor app is on your device, open it and follow the instructions in the Taylor thread to create a ubuntu partition .[this is the hardest part, takes less than 10 minutes but read entire thread and follow instructions in thread carefully]
    Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing

2) Follow instructions here to mount the ubuntu partition that you just created in step 1. You can use the Linux Commandline in WOSQI to paste the commands in the wiki.

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

3) Install Xecutah and Ubuntu apps in Preware and you have your ubuntu partition.

4) An amazing guy compiled a script to install a bunch of ubuntu apps,see thread below, install it and sit back and let it run
    and when it is done you will have a fully set up ubuntu . Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    You need dev mode enabled to connect to WOSQI.
    Type webos20090606 in your just type box on touchpad.
    When dev mode icon comes up, turn it on and press submit (do not enter anything in password, just press submit).
    Yeah, I was doing that, and WQI doesn't detect my device. I have tried using a different USB port on the pc, rebooting both TP & pc, re-installing the Novacomm drivers, and none work. (I was definitely in dev mode.)

1) You will need to install Taylor
    I think you mean 'Tailor' After the earlier post I did a bit of reading on Ubuntu on TP. At the moment I think it is a little further than I want to take it. I am not literate with Linux and don't have the time to invest in getting to be safe enough to jump in that deep. At least, that's my initial feeling.

However, that is a great outline of what I need to do if I do try out Linux. Thanks for the pointers!
    thanks,
    Toby.
    by the fall there could be an easier solution as openWebOS will debut sometime before end of Sept and there might be a way to install android apps as well in a card on webOS--not too long to wait so just hang in there.
    Aww rats, I was hoping not to hear that. I am keen to try CM9, but as far as I am aware they still don't have the camera & mic running, which is a PITA.
    from what Ive read, camera and mic will prob never work on any version of CM9, which is a pity. But it also means no reason to wait to install it
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    by the fall there could be an easier solution as openWebOS will debut sometime before end of Sept and there might be a way to install android apps as well in a card on webOS--not too long to wait so just hang in there.
    Interesting. I won't want to wait that long without tying something first, prob Android. But that is something to look out for.
    thanks,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    from what Ive read, camera and mic will prob never work on any version of CM9, which is a pity. But it also means no reason to wait to install it
    Dang it! That is a pity, but as you say, there's no reason to wait, then.

Actually, WebOS has been good, and I love the 'integrated-ness' of it and would only leave for a compelling reason. Making a dual boot simply to use a pdf annotation app seems like a bit much, but I may have to at least try it. CM9, here I come....!
    thanks,
    Toby.
    You might want to try downloading and installing this (alpha) app:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-feedback.html

From the comments it seems to work pretty well and a more polished version should be hitting the App Catalog sometime in the future.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Dang it! That is a pity, but as you say, there's no reason to wait, then.

Actually, WebOS has been good, and I love the 'integrated-ness' of it and would only leave for a compelling reason. Making a dual boot simply to use a pdf annotation app seems like a bit much, but I may have to at least try it. CM9, here I come....!
    CM9 is easy to install - and access to google play is an added bonus. I also find the keyboard more responsive than in webos. That said, ICS just doesn't have anywhere near the same user experience and I find myself looking to swipe things away when booted into android
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    My TP doesn't want to connect to WebosQuickInstall so I am high and dry regarding both CM9 and Homebrew stuff until I get that sorted out. Grrr. But that's a separate discussion.

Hopefully a legit app catalog version of that mark-up app gets into the wild soon.
    thanks,
    Toby.