webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > webOS App Builder for HP TouchPad
webOS App Builder for HP TouchPad
Like Tree13Likes

Old 05/15/2012, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

10 minutes to create an application : webOS App Builder - YouTube

App Catalog Lite Version : http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...appbuilderlite

App Catalog Full Version : http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...ebosappbuilder

creating application with webOS App Builder doesn't require coding skills.

webOS App builder is an application that allows you to create full featured news applications for webOS :

Version 1.0.3 :

Five app layout now available :

Simple : RSS widget + share features
Standard : RSS widget + full share features + User prefs + offline reading
Live : RSS widget + twitter widget + full share features + User prefs + offline reading
Reader : RSS widget + Pocket (aka read it later) widget + full share features + User prefs + offline reading
Pro : RSS widget + twitter widget + Pocket (aka read it later) widget + full share features + User prefs + offline reading

Bug fix with space in title & developer name.
Based on RSS feed and twitter account.

How to create an application ?

There are three steps. The first two steps are completed on the HP touchPad and let you create and customize the appearance of the application. After entering all informations, webOS App Builder generates for you the application code.

The last step is done on a computer, simply copy / paste the code from email and build the application using the
webOS SDK. The whole process done on computer is described with video tutorials.

What do I need to know to create an app ?
  • to open an email,
  • to extract a zip file,
  • to copy and paste,
  • to know what RSS feed is,
  • to have a computer (Windows only)

Links :

Tutorial HERE
App Link to the App Catalog HERE
Sample App Created with webOS App Builder HERE

Starter - Newspaper Creator - Lithium Benchmark - Lithium Messenger - Multiple App launcher - webOSnation News - Color My Dreams - Lightning Impact - Vision

Last edited by boucles0; 07/16/2012 at 03:07 PM.
boucles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by GreenHex, xandros9, cujoq37 and 5 others like this.
Old 05/15/2012, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting, will have to checkout your sample app.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2012, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for this information boucles0, this will seriously encourage me to built my app(since I already registered and downloaded the SDK)....just wish that I could built a web browser from those tools but its looking like unlikely. Those tools like the WebOS App Builder looks like just for simply note taking apps but for hardcore apps, I'm not much confident that it will work.

However, thanks......I will be testing things out this upcoming weekend. I can't wait to start creating applications for WebOS TouchPad, this platform needs all the help it can get to push apps to the EMPTY HP CATALOG.
Old 05/16/2012, 12:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm guessing it with neither let you make an app to watch netflix nor one to run android apps in cards?
xezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2012, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezat View Post
I'm guessing it with neither let you make an app to watch netflix nor one to run android apps in cards?
No, it creates News apps based on RSS feeds and twitter feeds , check the sample with engadget

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Starter - Newspaper Creator - Lithium Benchmark - Lithium Messenger - Multiple App launcher - webOSnation News - Color My Dreams - Lightning Impact - Vision
Old 05/16/2012, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Thanks for this information boucles0, this will seriously encourage me to built my app(since I already registered and downloaded the SDK)....just wish that I could built a web browser from those tools but its looking like unlikely. Those tools like the WebOS App Builder looks like just for simply note taking apps but for hardcore apps, I'm not much confident that it will work.

However, thanks......I will be testing things out this upcoming weekend. I can't wait to start creating applications for WebOS TouchPad, this platform needs all the help it can get to push apps to the EMPTY HP CATALOG.
WebOS App Builder creates at this moment standard news apps, but I'm planning to support popup apps, also based on RSS feeds.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Old 05/16/2012, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

I love the sound of this. Plan to try it as soon as I get off work.
Randiesturnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2012, 05:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

will try this over the weekend. i wanted to create a simple app for a local science group. we have an RSS and twitter feed so I should be able to get something working (which will at least show me some of the basic steps).

Love this!
Old 05/16/2012, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

how hard would it be to convert this into other apps on different OS'S? Using Enyo or something ?
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2012, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You can use phonegap to convert the enyo apps to other OS, but in this case, it will require coding skills.

Old 05/16/2012, 08:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
will try this over the weekend. i wanted to create a simple app for a local science group. we have an RSS and twitter feed so I should be able to get something working (which will at least show me some of the basic steps).

Love this!
WebOS App Biulder will do the job !

Thanked By: steven_farkas
Old 05/16/2012, 09:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

thanks
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2012, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

If I can figure this out (I probably can't) But I will definitely spend a lot of time trying to create an app for my website now mymorningstory.com
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by boucles0 likes this.
Old 05/17/2012, 02:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
If I can figure this out (I probably can't) But I will definitely spend a lot of time trying to create an app for my website now mymorningstory.com
Feel free to contact me here if you're having troubles creating your app.

Old 05/17/2012, 05:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
WebOS App Biulder will do the job !
did all the steps and followed the tutorial but it won't package my app? i see the dialog box pop up (but not long enough to read the message) but no IPK file is created in my wab folder.

Is there any issue with the formatting of the text in notepad? Thats the only thing I can think that is different
Old 05/17/2012, 06:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You must use simple notepad editor (don't use word,....). Did you install webOS sdk ?

Can you send me your wab folder ?

Old 05/17/2012, 06:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
You must use simple notepad editor (don't use word,....). Did you install webOS sdk ?

Can you send me your wab folder ?
i used notepad, followed the steps in the tutorial. can send you the wab folder..can you pm me your email address
Old 05/17/2012, 06:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have sent you a pm

Old 05/17/2012, 06:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
did all the steps and followed the tutorial but it won't package my app? i see the dialog box pop up (but not long enough to read the message) but no IPK file is created in my wab folder.

Is there any issue with the formatting of the text in notepad? Thats the only thing I can think that is different
Here's your problem : don't put space inside dev name or title.

Try without space, it creates the ipk file.

(you have to create all the code again because there will be also a problem in launch..bat file)

Last edited by boucles0; 05/17/2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05/17/2012, 08:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's your problem : don't put space inside dev name or title.

Try without space, it creates the ipk file.

(you have to create all the code again because there will be also a problem in launch..bat file)
perfect, working now! loving this app, thanks very much!!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0