webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > webOS App Builder for HP TouchPad
webOS App Builder for HP TouchPad
Like Tree13Likes

Old 06/10/2012, 01:54 PM   #61 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by habergowd View Post
Oh god, this sounds really good. I want to give it a try, but I live in hungary->no paid apps in the AC.
I've sent you a PM

Starter - Newspaper Creator - Lithium Benchmark - Lithium Messenger - Multiple App launcher - webOSnation News - Color My Dreams - Lightning Impact - Vision
boucles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2012, 08:57 AM   #62 (permalink)

it says sdk only for vista or windows 7? I have xp still...
joedisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2012, 11:10 AM   #63 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
it says sdk only for vista or windows 7? I have xp still...
did you try to install it ? choose 32bit version.

Starter - Newspaper Creator - Lithium Benchmark - Lithium Messenger - Multiple App launcher - webOSnation News - Color My Dreams - Lightning Impact - Vision
Old 06/11/2012, 12:11 PM   #64 (permalink)

I did try haven't checked it yet watchin 2 sick kids

... Says it installed. I'll have to see if I can build my app when I get a chance after the doctor

Last edited by joedisaster; 06/11/2012 at 12:52 PM.
joedisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by boucles0 likes this.
Old 06/30/2012, 12:36 AM   #65 (permalink)

I love this app! Its such a great idea.

I would like to see some support for YouTube widget as well. This website has some great information about YouTube feeds: Youtube RSS Feed Generator | Tools for News Ideally what would be best is if you could find a way to allow users to view the videos embedded in the app.

It would also be nice to support a Facebook widget too. Here is a good website that has a tutorial for getting Facebook feeds: Facebook RSS feed - Tutorial

Having Facebook and YouTube widgets would allow users to follow organizations where ever they have a media presence.

Of course adding these would create a lot more options and it might be better at that point to create a wizard that asks a user a question for each step - for example "Would you like a YouTube widget?" if the user answers yes the have to supply the YouTube username.

Just my two cents. Again, great app - keep up the good work! :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Spinn; 06/30/2012 at 01:15 AM.
Spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: boucles0
Old 06/30/2012, 05:20 AM   #66 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

thanks for feedback !

Additionnal widgets would probably make the apps created with webOS App Builder a bit messy However you can mix all your feeds into one with yahoo pipes : Mix RSS Feeds with Yahoo! Pipes and FeedBurner - YouTube

Old 07/08/2012, 01:41 PM   #67 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

REALLY UNFAIR REVIEW. PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE LEAVING THIS KIND OF REVIEW !

Quote:
The code it generates is all jumbled together, which makes it almost impossible to learn from
The only way to store customizable code is to store it in one line, that's how webOS App Builder works. The app code is also quite complex with, pocket, twitter integration, that's why you won't learn how to code just looking at the code, you'll need to create small and very simple apps, like in the webOS sdk samples. webOS App Builder will show you the way to install your developer environment and how to build an ipk package (all you need to start app development), but to become a real webOS App developer, you'll need to look at other ressources...

Quote:
I think the price is a little high
I have worked 40 hours on this project on my spare time.

Quote:
Finally, the code generated does not seem very functional. It is supposed to be an rss reader, but it never asked me to provide a link to an rss feed.
I think you missed the second step on touchpad. You have to paste RSS feed and twitter acount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wabreview.jpg (57.3 KB, 167 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by boucles0; 07/08/2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07/08/2012, 02:21 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
Click to view quoted image

REALLY UNFAIR REVIEW. PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE LEAVING THIS KIND OF REVIEW !

The only way to store customizable code is to store it in one line, that's how webOS App Builder works. The app code is also quite complex with, pocket, twitter integration, that's why you won't learn how to code just looking at the code, you'll need to create small and very simple apps, like in the webOS sdk samples. webOS App Builder will show you the way to install your developer environment and how to build an ipk package (all you need to start app development), but to become a real webOS App developer, you'll need to look at other ressources...

I have worked 40 hours on this project on my spare time.

I think you missed the second step on touchpad. You have to paste RSS feed and twitter acount
100 % agree. The user seems to think that the app builder was intended to teach one how to build an app - not just build it for them. I picked through a bit of the code myself and also found it intimidating, but then I wasn't trying to learn from it Or I should say learning from it was not my primary objective. As it stands, it's a great app for one who wants to build an RSS reader.

If you want to learn how to build an RSS reader, use Google.

--MGb
Thanked By: boucles0
Old 07/12/2012, 05:32 AM   #69 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

App source code available here : http://www.webosfrance.com/docs/webO...sourcecode.zip

Old 07/16/2012, 03:08 PM   #70 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Lite version available for FREE in the App Catalog : http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...appbuilderlite

Old 07/21/2012, 09:16 PM   #71 (permalink)

I recently downloaded the free app because I wanted to create an app for my work out routine. I went to the app builder and I can see the preview and I love the way it is suppose to look. I went through all the videos and prompts to help you build the app and view it but my app is blank. Can you please let me know what I am doing wrong? Thank you.
chilangodf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 09:26 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
If in your rss feed, there are links to mp3 files, they'll be opened in music player. Otherwise, if flash objects for example are used to play music, they won't be displayed. It's the same for any iframe embed object.

Porting to android requires phonegap tools, but you'll need to know a few things to get through the whole process.

You are also free to edit the app code created with webOS App Builder to add new features,

Feel free to contact me here
I have been playing with the lite version, just inserting sample feeds and previewing......feeds I am interested in include podcasts, which are mp3. In preview there are no sound choices? Will the mp3 link show up once app is generated? Or in the paid version? Thanks in advance, below is a sample feed I'm playing with.
NPR: Car Talk Podcast
rickeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2012, 01:37 PM   #73 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi rickeroo,

Lite version will show you how your feeds are displayed, like in the paid version. If MP3 are generated with flash technology, they won't be displayed. However, if inside your feeds, you create links to mp3 files (if you're the admin of the feed), they will be streamed inside music player card automaticly.

Old 12/25/2012, 12:55 AM   #74 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I love this app!

Got 2 questions:

1. It doesn't seem to handle feeds with images and URLs properly yet, is that correct? For example http://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws/rss.xml and http://www.elsevier.nl/Service/RSS/Feed/Laatste-nieuws/ both have images and links to the full articles but they don't appear yet in the app? I tried with both 1.0 and 2.0 feeds.

2. Any chance you'll update it to Enyo 2.0? Enyo 2.0 seems to bring quite some performance enhancements
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2012, 04:58 AM   #75 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi Herrie,

If pictures aren't displayed, this is because your xml feeds use media tag, which is not supported. I'm planning to update this app with enyo 2.0 in 2013.

Thanks for support !

Old 03/31/2013, 10:36 PM   #76 (permalink)

Can you add edit menu in the top dropdown menu. When I'm pasting url it always flies back as if I'm swiping left. The littlest touch does it too.
Greg Mair is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0