Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #41  
    HBZ good to see you around! Thanks for the input!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I noticed that HP App Catalog was updated recently.

I didn't make much of it, as it happens all the time, but when I tried to purchase an app in the HP App Catalog, I noticed that it was asking for password of someone else's email account.

Also noticed that when I went to account and preference within App Catalog, someone else's credit card info was there.

I went to Device Info and it showed my proper HP Account email info.

Account App also showed the right email info.

Has anyone else ran into this problem and has solution? I contacted HP, but the tech support has no idea what they are doing and wasted my 2 hours. Bottom line is that I can't purchase an app and there might possibly be a security breach. I know HP has abandoned ship, but this is a very very serious problem.
    See the thread here
  4.    #44  
    <<threads merged>>
    Also note that, as I mentioned earlier, removing the hulu patch did not remove the bogus account problem UNTIL I did a device restart. This may also apply to other patches which cause this if any do.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Also I should add, I do not believe anything is changing server side for your devices, I believe it is only the overlay on the device that is actually affected.
    Good point, sorry if I missed this being posted already.

I know this won't be 100% specific to app catalog, but has anyone that is having the issue checked their palm profile to see if their device and serial show up properly there?

Just curious on this one.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Also note that, as I mentioned earlier, removing the hulu patch did not remove the bogus account problem UNTIL I did a device restart. This may also apply to other patches which cause this if any do.
    Had you tried a luna restart first?

Once again just curious, because all patches I can think of require at least a luna restart.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qjuantum View Post
    Hi peeps,
    I have the same issue, mine shows test@amgad.com and funny thing is, it will let me input whatever I want as a password which seems a little weird, I don't think this is server related, maybe the hulu patch leaves a vulnerability in the touchpad that is being exploded? Either way, I don't feel comfortable entering my account info, I'm not getting the Jason's email address to mail the receipt, I get awong@mailnator.com.
    I will try to contact the hulu patch developer to see what's up
    Did you hear back anything from the hulu patch developer?

Thanks for taking the initiative.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I can confirm that when I uninstalled the hulu patch and rebooted WebOS, the problem immediately went away.

It appears definite that hulu patch is causing the confusion in HP App Catalog. Most likely, there is no security breach that is causing this, but rather hulu patch is confusing HP Server.

My best guess is that if you don't plan to buy WebOS app anytime soon, you can just keep the hulu patch on without worrying about your account being under security breach.
    To confirm that the patch removal changed it, and not the luna restart, it would be good if some affected first tried a luna restart and/or a device restart before removing the patch.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    just letting you know, mine's fine. I'll be checking it every day for awhile since you mentioned the problem.
    You plug your phone in?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Had you tried a luna restart first?

Once again just curious, because all patches I can think of require at least a luna restart.
    Honeslty I don't remember. I do device restarts periodically just on general principle but don't recall testing that specifically for this. I doubt it would fix it but am not sure. Can't test it at the moment.
    No, restarting, of any sort, doesn't fix the issue.
    Thanks, just wanted to rule that out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    No problems here,yet.
    Mind you, I haven't messed with Hulu or homebrew yet.
    Was disappointed that Hulu was disabled for the touchpad, but have been using Amazon and so far it's been pretty awesome, even with my low-end DSL speed.
    Loaded preware right after getting this, but haven't gotten around to trying homebrew to even see what it's for.
    it has happened to me recently as well, when I remove the other persons credit card info, another persons shows up within about 3 days, so far 3 peoples info has shown up: Jason, Aaron, and Carlos. I've taken screenshots of everyone to prove to myself that I'm not crazy! XD
    The question is, are those names and potential accounts random or made up? Or are the info being populated from a real accounts DB? More importantly, since it is unlikely that the patch is pulling the info, does this 'push' represent a server side security issue?
    I recently noticed a few additional App Catalog anomalies caused by changing the user agent string (via the NEW hulu patch), so I finally gave in and undid the change. After rebooting, all was immediately back to normal, and my e-mail address and credit card info was back in my app catalog account.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    More importantly, since it is unlikely that the patch is pulling the info, does this 'push' represent a server side security issue?
    It does. And a severe one... Changing the user agent string leads to your device being recognized as an internal one by HP's servers.
    That means you have access to dozens of internal test apps, and you get some charged apps for free...

I've contacted HP and if they won't fix this asap, I'll try to give this issue more public attention.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    my account has not changed. Never installed the hulu patch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast