Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanPLC
  1.    #1  
    I have been using Music Player Remix v. 1.99.38 (or something like that), the last of the Homebrew versions. I have a Verizon luanch day Palm Pre+ running 1.4.5.1 webOS.

Are there other music player apps you folks might recommend? This is a good app, but since it is no longer being upgraded (except for webOS 2.x and higher) I wonder if there might be other better apps.

The reason I was looking was i encountered a small issue that I can't figure out how to fix. Now I haven't read through resources yet (Hedami website or DanPLC forum postings here on webOSnation), but I will. However, if anyone sees this and has a quick answer...here is my little issue.

I needed to change the album of one song so it is included with the other songs from the same album. The problem was, I must have misnamed a file...I have 18 songs from one album. But I might have left the word "The" off of one of the filenames for the mp3s, because it is all by itself as one song while the other 17 songs are together under one album. The album names are similar, only one is missing "The". Is there a way to reassign that one song to the other album?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

This is not a problem with the app most likely. The metadata for that song is probably wrong. The webOS media indexer does not look at the filenames. You have to correct the album title on your PC and copy the song back to your phone. That can also happen if the album artist (I think, not the song artist) is different from the others.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    This is not a problem with the app most likely. The metadata for that song is probably wrong. The webOS media indexer does not look at the filenames. You have to correct the album title on your PC and copy the song back to your phone. That can also happen if the album artist (I think, not the song artist) is different from the others.
    How do I change metadata for a song? I have a mp3 file...what program to I use to access the file and change it's metadata? Do I use iTunes?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

iTunes Sucks. Use MediaMonkey.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    mp3tag is another good one.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I have been using Music Player Remix v. 1.99.38 (or something like that), the last of the Homebrew versions. I have a Verizon luanch day Palm Pre+ running 1.4.5.1 webOS.

Are there other music player apps you folks might recommend? This is a good app, but since it is no longer being upgraded (except for webOS 2.x and higher) I wonder if there might be other better apps.

The reason I was looking was i encountered a small issue that I can't figure out how to fix. Now I haven't read through resources yet (Hedami website or DanPLC forum postings here on webOSnation), but I will. However, if anyone sees this and has a quick answer...here is my little issue.

I needed to change the album of one song so it is included with the other songs from the same album. The problem was, I must have misnamed a file...I have 18 songs from one album. But I might have left the word "The" off of one of the filenames for the mp3s, because it is all by itself as one song while the other 17 songs are together under one album. The album names are similar, only one is missing "The". Is there a way to reassign that one song to the other album?

That is a webos problem. Webos is really not great with music sorting. Every single tag must be EXACTLY the same or it will sort funny. I ran into the same issues with the webos player and other third party players from day one.

My solution was to fix the tags. Things to look out for. blank spaces after the ends of words. Specifically ones that the pre will sort buy so check the fields of artists, album, genre, year. Make sure that all those are all exactly the same. Including Capitalization. "Funk" will end up as a different genre from "funk" (lowercase) or "Funk_" (extra space on the end). If you have "The Black Album" and "the black album" it will appear as two different albums. so you'll have songs from the same album not together. I use itunes and itunes, naturally ignores such minor things like spaces and capitalization and still sorts them all the same. Oh and "A" "And" & "The" will not be ignored either so make sure if it's in the one of the fields that they are in all the file fields if applicable or in none.

I use Tag & Rename to bulk edit tags but you can do it in itunes it's just not as powerful. Oh and Tag & Rename isn't free. But in itunes just highlight all the songs, it will warn you that you're gonna edit a bunch. Click ok and proceed. careful not to edit stuff that's not the same in every file like the title or track.

Oh one other thing, you may need to make sure all the artwork is proper too. I'm not positive on that one. It shouldn't effect sorting. I always embed all my artwork and thus no matter the software i'm using or phone it always shows up perfect. I don't do the "folder.jpg" cover art thing. Some phones don't cooperate well and some software on the pc too.

I'm sure there are probably other free tag editors too. Honestly this stuff really grated on me as i bought my pre intending to use it as my primary music player and to replace my 80GB ipod as my daily player and i have a large music collection. So i was annoyed to have to go back through 30000 songs to try and nitpick looking for blank spaces and capitalization. And i was quite disappointed that these things where never addressed. For me they would have been fixed in the first update as add music was the first thing i did to the phone. So it this was encountered the day i bought it.

But music player remix i thought was the best player for the phone.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    remember early on in the life of the pre when that one guy was making his own music player. And then i guess he got rejected by palm and got mad and i guess it was like in the works for like two years. I wonder what happened to that player. i forget the name of it. There was a long thread i can't find on precentral. He, i think even, had a beta going for a while if you donated to him or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    remember early on in the life of the pre when that one guy was making his own music player. And then i guess he got rejected by palm and got mad and i guess it was like in the works for like two years. I wonder what happened to that player. i forget the name of it. There was a long thread i can't find on precentral. He, i think even, had a beta going for a while if you donated to him or something.
    That would be Music Player Remix, the very subject of this thread , which was finally allowed into the app catalog for webOS 2.x and now 3.x. That version does not work on webOS 1.x because the webOS media indexer API changed. Palm never released the media indexer for 1.x, so no music apps for 1.x can be released through the official channels.
    That would be Music Player Remix, the very subject of this thread , which was finally allowed into the app catalog for webOS 2.x and now 3.x. That version does not work on webOS 1.x because the webOS media indexer API changed. Palm never released the media indexer for 1.x, so no music apps for 1.x can be released through the official channels.
    No the app he's probably referring to is Nanplayer. Its developer was the one who made a stink about not being able to release it due to the private API. And after all that, the developer was somehow hired by HP!

However I understand why you'd confuse my app with his since we both started developing it around the same time (in 2009).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    No the app he's probably referring to is Nanplayer. Its developer was the one who made a stink about not being able to release it due to the private API. And after all that, the developer was somehow hired by HP!

However I understand why you'd confuse my app with his since we both started developing it around the same time (in 2009).
    yep that's it. Nanplayer. this was the thread NaNplayer (New Music app in the works) - Updated Preview Video Yeah so he got hired by hp. interesting. Still wonder why he never released his app. Or maybe he did and i just missed it. But for a time oh man he was mad a Palm.
    no, it was nanplayer, I actually said Music Player Remix was best player for the phone (1.4.5) in the post right above the one you quoted in the last line. So i remembered remix. Nanplayer kinda faded from my memory. Out of sight out of mind as they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetz View Post
    no danplc is right i was thinking of nanplayer. but i don't think i've ever seen fonesync before. i don't remember that. That said i found tranfering music so cumbersome once i got some on i stopped trying so i didn't sync much after a few months.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 04/21/2012 at 02:18 PM.