Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Hello everyone!

I just got a touchpad after having a pre since it came out. I needed a vnc viewer and since I couldn't find one I decided to code one myself. Thanks to Bernard Slawik who wrote the VNC Client PDK app and A Schiffler who wrote SDL_vnc I was able to cobble together a hybrid vnc app. I'm very new to WebOS programming so it's not working exactly how I'd like but it gets the job done. There are plenty of things I could use help on so if anyone out there would like to help I'd gladly take it.

Code can be found at https://github.com/jnk5y/junkVNC

Notes:
    • Can't get pinch to zoom working well
    • There is a 2 finger pan but was thinking of changing it to 1 finger. What do you think?
    • Am using some horrible workarounds to get the size of the viewing area for the plugin. A better way would be helpfull.
    • Works in vertical and horizontal positions
    • No right click option yet. How would you like to right click?

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions or find any bugs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jnk5y; 04/12/2012 at 04:55 PM.
    c000, gderoiste and zubiaur like this.
    Very cool jnk5y. I'll give it a try tonight!
    Wow, this is a great start!
    As far as I know pinch-to-zoom is not supported for plugins. Though you might be able to catch the gesture on the client-side and make calls to the plugin (make an invisible layer over the plugin).

Edit: By the way, where can we find the source code?
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Pinch to zoom is just a SDL event for the mouse. It was partly implemented by Bernard but it's not the smoothest transition and it messes with scrolling. I'm trying to rewrite that section but it's very finicky.

I'll upload the source code to this thread after work.
    you should start a new github repository and put the source there. would make it easier to contribute and look through code. as you and other make changes it is easier to incorporate and distribute the code more efficiently.
    Rocking out Franken Pre2 2.2.4 and TP 3.0.5

Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    you should start a new github repository and put the source there. would make it easier to contribute and look through code. as you and other make changes it is easier to incorporate and distribute the code more efficiently.
    Great idea! Here you go https://github.com/jnk5y/junkVNC
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk5y View Post
    Thanks!
    So is the whole code under LGPL 2.1? Would be nice if you just put a LICENSE file into the root directory.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    nice work
    I think it's great and works for what I need. Right click by first selecting a button on the bottom bar would be what I prefer, would also like a shift and control key down there too for selecting multiple files via a mouse click.

Thanks,

Hans
    tried it on Pre3. installed but does not connect.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman10 View Post
    tried it on Pre3. installed but does not connect.
    Curious to know how it looked on the Pre3. Were both panes visible at the same time? Could you give a description of what happened and what didn't happen? I wish my pre still worked so I could test it
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk5y View Post
    Curious to know how it looked on the Pre3. Were both panes visible at the same time? Could you give a description of what happened and what didn't happen? I wish my pre still worked so I could test it
    yes both panes were visible. With the correct ip it just sits there and nothing happens. With a wrong ip I get vnc failed to connect. What viewer do I need on the host computer.
    not savy with computers but happy to assist were I can. How can I copy the screen for you to see what does happen?

edit
    when it connects. (I assume it does) the right pane goes blank and unresponsive. Keyboard disappears, disconnect icon disappears and the only way to disconnect is to close app.
    nothing changes on the left pane except the connect icon goes from a bright green to a dull green.
    hope this helps
    Last edited by milkman; 04/16/2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    yes both panes were visible. With the correct ip it just sits there and nothing happens. With a wrong ip I get vnc failed to connect. What viewer do I need on the host computer.
    not savy with computers but happy to assist were I can. How can I copy the screen for you to see what does happen?

edit
    when it connects. (I assume it does) the right pane goes blank and unresponsive. Keyboard disappears, disconnect icon disappears and the only way to disconnect is to close app.
    nothing changes on the left pane except the connect icon goes from a bright green to a dull green.
    hope this helps
    I use tightvnc 1.3 and whatever is built into macos and it works fine. Just tried it with the latest tightvnc 2.0.4 and it just shows me a black screen.
    is this train still moving btw, love it even in its current state on the touchpad and yeah like above runs on my pre3 but i only get a grey or blank screen on connection. Would be nice to have it working bang on for both devices, tigervnc works ok on touchpad but cant scroll screen on pre3 as sliders are too small to grab, and doesnt record ip/connection history so junk looks the better hope allround atm for both devices.
    It would be great to get a version of this working on Pre 2 as well, as I'm currently limited to the original VNC Client that this is based on, the downfall of that is the is no login manager and no way to enter a vertical bar :-(
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I've made a few changes since the original release but am stuck due to missing enyo documentation (also lack of features and plethora of bugs in enyo 1.0) and missing features in the vnc library i'm using. I put the plugin into a scroll layer which made scrolling super fast but i don't know how to get relative finger presses within the scroll layer. So when i scroll and click, it registers in the wrong place on the computer. The vnc library is also not returning the screen resolution of the computer so I don't know how large to make the window inside the scroll layer.

I've fixed a bug which made it almost impossible to double click and changed the gui to not use a sliding window, which definitely looked cool but was pretty pointless unless you need to go back and forth to the connection window without disconnecting from the server.

So if anyone can help please let me know. The code is on github so feel free to tinker. As for phones, I definitely want it working on them but can't test it since my palm pre's screen stopped working (also I don't think it would even have enyo). So if anyone has any ideas on why it doesn't work on the pre3,2 please let me know.
    actually i liked the sliding window method tbh the left window could have had more than just connection info, you could always throw in any other preferences type options under the connection info.

Maybe a unique feature (or maybe impossible) would be to have more than 1 VNC connection open and having a sliding pane for each one.

shame your having difficulties with documentation but i do hope you get there in the end and that you decide to improve on it when able.

I think on the active homebrew side for VNC support theres just you and the author of TigerVNC, maybe the 2 of you could clash heads on 1 single project? tiger works ok and its biggest issue was something you have already implemented which was saved connection info.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    how do you type in JunkVNC? I connect to my mac mini (running Lion-latest, screen sharing enabled and remote managemt both enabled and disabled) just fine. I can pick an account and login fine (unlike MVnc which disconnects and leaves fhe user logged in) as long as there is no password on the account. If the account has a password I cannot enter it via the soft keyboard (no Bluetooth keyboards for me yet). If the account doesn't have a password and I do get to a desktop, I also cannot type anything.

the symptom is that I hear the keyboard clicky--clickies but nothing shows up on the screen. I wonder if it is because I have 4 keyboards defined (qwerty, English, Italian, Spanish) to switch autocorrect dictionaries.

also, how do you send control (ctrl,alt,super) key sequences? It is not immediately obvious to me.

what can I do to help ***troubleshoot***?
    Last edited by mauro1; 06/27/2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: adding specificity to the last line.
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    what can I do to help?
    Download the source code and improve it...
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Download the source code and improve it...
    I wish I had the skillset. That's why I'm a HB supporter and not an HB developer like yourself, but thanks for the snide remark.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast