webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > webOS Nation Pivot
webOS Nation Pivot
Like Tree47Likes

Old 04/01/2012, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

The webOS onTap Magazine project (was Homebrew Pivot) is a work-in-progress replacement for HP's Pivot in the App Catalog. Instead of staring at the old Pivot that hasn't changed for half a year, or looking at a short Featured Apps section, you will have a complete issue, built by the community. In addition to the regular content, interactive and dynamically updating content is planned. That means you could get the latest news from webOS Nation and other sources even though the rest of the magazine has not updated.

Test issue is now live! Please obtain the patch from Preware (search for "Homebrew Pivot").

We need content writers! If you can write, design graphics, or shoot photos, please sign up at this form. We also need an editor!

If you'd like to support this project, click the "Donate" button. We need to pay for hosting and for other software that we may use in the future.

Don't forget to visit us, like us, follow us, and +1 us!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/webOSonTap/
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/webOSonTap
Google+: https://plus.google.com/103118434017670797778/

---

Troubleshooting
Although the patch works fine for most people, there have been reports that the new issue has not been showing up. So here's a troubleshooting section for you to try.

Basic Troubleshooting
1. After installing the patch, open up App Catalog, wait for it to load, and then close it. This will start the magazine update process. Wait a few minutes, and then the new issue should display on App Catalog.
2. If you still don't have the new issue, try restarting Luna. Repeat step 1.
3. What language are you using? Because the feed server is just simple file hosting, I need to make individual folders to supply a locale. Go into the Regional Settings app and tell me what language you're using.
4. If it still doesn't work, try rebooting the device. Then do step 1.

Advanced Troubleshooting
If after following the basic troubleshooting steps the magazine still doesn't work for you, follow these steps. Note: following these steps may prevent you from removing/updating the Muffle System Logging patch. Be sure to reverse the changes when your problem is solved.
1. Turn the App Catalog service to debug logging. Go into the Device Info app, and in the menu tap Custom Applications. Type "##logs#". In the Collect Logs app, tap Change Logging Levels. Then tap Set Log Levels. Scroll down the list to System Log Levels, and then find com.palm.appcatalog. Tap it, and tap DEBUG. Close the app and Device Info.
2. Open Lumberjack (get it from Preware), set What to Look for to Everything, and tap Follow Log.
3. Open the App Catalog, and then switch back to Lumberjack. Look for a lot of User.Info messages that refers to EditionDownloadMgr and GetEditionCommandAssistant. When you see "GetEditionCommandAssistant: getEdition method returned with result...", the capture is complete. Copy it into a file and post it here.
4. If I ask, run the following command either on device (with wTerm) or through Novacom (webOS Quick Install->Tools->Linux Commandline) and post the result here.

luna-send -f -n 1 -a com.palm.appcatalog luna://com.palm.db/find '{"query":{"from":"com.palm.appcatalog.editioninfo:3"}}'

This will give me what edition is currently stored in your database. The above info will help me figure out why Pivot isn't working on your device.

---

Here's an idea to throw out there: how about webOS Nation pick up Pivot so that it won't be stuck on November and we would get quality content maybe every two weeks? I looked at the download code for Pivot and it's all JavaScript, so it's easy to dispatch a patch to Preware once everything's in place. I've managed to download all the recent issues of Pivot except for #1 (dammit). It's basically a manifest, page info, a whole bunch of images and layouts, and app infos. The most recent few issues even comes with a script to generate app info from a spreadsheet. If webOS Nation can write up some material, perform layout, render into images, and host the files, we'd have a frequently updated Pivot in no time.

Some preliminary info:
App Catalog regularly checks for a new issue of Pivot (called "edition") by making a request to the App Catalog server (requires device ID and token; can be commented out for webOS Nation version). The server then returns info about the current edition, such as edition number, revision, and base URL. The system then takes the base URL and finds the manifest, which includes date published, number of pages, the size of the edition, the file set, itself including file entries that state the file name, size, checksum, and section. Each file specified is then downloaded and stored in a cache. When the App Catalog is opened, Pivot is loaded from the cache.

Here's the base URL to the edition I got: http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/public...0af4777d9a50b/
Download manifest.json to get the list of files.

Last edited by GMMan; 08/23/2012 at 10:00 AM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, alanmorford, ananimus and 20 others like this.
Old 04/02/2012, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I've managed to download all the recent issues of Pivot except for #1 (dammit)..
Is this the edition that you are missing? These are screenshots made today. There are some apps in it that show up as N/A which probably means that they are discontinued. Also I tried the link above and it didn't work. I can copy the whole directory to my PC and then I can send you what you need if this is the right one.
gaitch32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by capt4chris, woosh, MINKIN2 and 1 others like this.
Thanked By: silverbackdave
Old 04/02/2012, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
Is this the edition that you are missing? These are screenshots made today. There are some apps in it that show up as N/A which probably means that they are discontinued. Also I tried the link above and it didn't work. I can copy the whole directory to my PC and then I can send you what you need if this is the right one.
In fact, that is. Do you have the base URL? And just wondering, what's the locale? I think I downloaded all of the en_CA version, but it doesn't really matter. (BTW, how did your edition hold out so far? Is it the default edition, because I think everyone has that.)

The link wasn't suppose to "work". Palm's server won't list files. Add "manifest.json" to the end of the base URL to get the file listing.
Old 04/03/2012, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I understand the url now. How do I find what it is for my catalog?

My catalog usually acts up. Ever since I had a failed attempt at the Hulu patch. I know that having the patch causes some problems for it. I have the Hulu patch working but the catalog still is quirky. Sometimes it won't load and then when it finally does I get a lot of old apps that seem discontinued and then they disappear the next time. Sometimes I get the new catalog but then it "breaks" and I go back to the first one, so that might be what you called the default edition. However when that comes up, I get the additional apps. I even tried reinstalling it from scratch but the problem persists.
Old 04/03/2012, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If someone gets this working I am willing to help be a writer

Remember!!
*In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by capt4chris and Vistaus like this.
Old 04/03/2012, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
I understand the url now. How do I find what it is for my catalog?
You could manually make a request to the server, but it's a bit cumbersome. I think if you use Impostah->App Catalog->second option, there is a section on "magazine" or something and that'll contain all the information on the current edition.
Old 04/03/2012, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe the new pivot could link or display articles from the front page of webos nations too? That is if Derek and the other writers give their consent of to have course.

There would also have to be a need for a photographer too, or at least some one with a good eye and a decent camera. We could have the opportunity to submit user/member photos too and give credit too of course. I've been wanting a reason to buy one
MINKIN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geeksquadkid likes this.
Old 04/03/2012, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Does anyone have hosting space I can borrow? If I have a chance I'll try to whip up a sample edition and a patch this weekend. PM me.
Liked by geeksquadkid likes this.
Old 04/03/2012, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I got bored, heres some ideas?

I like the one with the red glow myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main Page.jpg (91.9 KB, 193 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg Main Page glow.jpg (94.0 KB, 152 views) Email Attachment

Remember!!
*In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MINKIN2 likes this.
Thanked By: DJeremyC
Old 04/03/2012, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Does anyone have hosting space I can borrow? If I have a chance I'll try to whip up a sample edition and a patch this weekend. PM me.
Dropbox is free
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: GMMan
Old 04/04/2012, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
Dropbox is free
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot that it has direct linking.
Old 04/04/2012, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Could anyone ID the fonts used?

BTW, issue 4 official and teaser is attached, in case anyone wants to study format. I'm tidying up my edition downloader right now so you can get the files from the source soon.
Pivot4_TeaserAndFinal_en_US.zip
Old 04/05/2012, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Edition downloader is done. Readme and source are included. EditionDownloader.zip
Old 04/05/2012, 10:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Check it out, here's who made the issues of Pivot: Portfolio | The Science Project. Looks like we have our fonts: title fonts are Gloriola, and body fonts look like Bell MT. I still can't tell what font the Pivot logo is, but at least there's a small reference image on the website.
Old 04/06/2012, 12:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

After the update the app catalog had something similar to Pivot, but nowhere near as nice or in-depth.
GlennBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2012, 02:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

No noticeable difference in the App Catalog on my end.
Old 04/06/2012, 03:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
No noticeable difference in the App Catalog on my end.
Mine says spring time is here and has some Dr. Seuss apps and a few sports apps.
GlennBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2012, 03:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Oh lucky you, I'm still in November
Old 04/06/2012, 07:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

I think that's some sort of default page the App Catalog presents when it can't find Pivot. I've seen it in a screenshot some time ago, and it looks like it's a 1-3 page deal.

Progress report: I've started on making the test edition. It will contain a cover, letter, TOC, Opening Shot, some lorem ipsum, and an app feature (using Homebrew Documentation as an example). Anyone have a good idea for the opening shot?
Old 04/07/2012, 05:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

There might be some free alternatives. I found these. I am pretty sure we could use them and I am sure there are others if we can't.

Alternative to Gloriola. Titillium Text Font Squirrel | Free Font Titillium Text by Accademia di Belle Arti Urbino

Alternative to Bell MT Adamina Adamina

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0