Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
    can anyone confirm if this works for Australian app catalog en.US locale AU
    have patched but no change.
    Not yet. (See post #77)
    If this is just a bunch of code JavaScript, HTML, JPEG images and content feeds, why can't we take this to a completely different level as a community? Anyone and everyone should be able to make a Pivot like magazine in my opinion. But without knowing the steps on how to do so yet, I am only speculating. I know this has just been discovered so patience is a virtue. Hopefully the details on this will be released in this thread over time. Maybe there could be a dropdown menu that could be populated with a list of all the feeds? Or just an ordered list would suffice...I really wish I knew how this all worked but I take it that it doesn't sound like rocket science.

Designing layouts is not hard. I'd bet you that Pivot authors used InDesign. Photoshop, Illustrator or CorelDRAW could do the same type of layout. Most of the designs have a simple image in the background and a few columns of text or text wrapping around an object and also some interactive links and buttons. Nothing too fancy so I wonder what the limitations of this app are in it's current state and IF it can be extended and broken out of the App Catalogue altogether and into a stand alone app? Can these things include HTML5 video directly within the pages? If it's HTML5 based, then you can do animations and interactivity too. In the November Sports issue (Canada is stuck on that issue - I'm getting it anyhow up here) there is a link to a video but it opens a separate window and goes to Vimeo's website directly so I'm not sure yet. Just speculating...

I know this is all new and it's happening at light speed and you really deserve Kudos for figuring this out but this could be a big addition to the TouchPad in general. I am wondering if the new cross platform widgets can be incorporated somehow from the demo site: Onyx Widget Sampler

So many things are swirling around in my head at the moment...

Really awesome progress though! Congratulations! I can't wait to see how things flesh out over time. If a simple DropBox account can host content for anyone, there is no limit to where this could lead. We might have a problem getting major content providers on board (magazine vendors like Popular Science, Maxim, etc.) unless it can be tied to an e-commerce front end but who knows where this could lead?

I want one for an interactive portfolio of my design work when I go to job interviews...

I seem to remember a demo book app from HP in the App Catalogue for some reason. Maybe it's time to download that and see what it's all about? It's called HP BookPrep Demo...might be useful and share similar techniques? Don't know...

BookPrep Update: The BookPrep Demo app is just cycling through a bunch of scanned JPEG images of old e-books. You tap to go forward and backward in a book - not swiping like Pivot. It looks and feels like a real book (the graphics are designed to look like a real book laying open and the page content just gets updated with each screen tap). There is a slider at the bottom that can quickly preview pages. You can even open and close the covers of the book. It can change orientation from portrait to landscape too. There are four books included and the app is about 90 MB in size. Like I said it's just a bunch of scanned JPEGS so no wonder it's so big. I seem to recall that the magazines for Apple were all image files too. This is why they don't scale right on the New Ipad and it's retina display and have to be re-done. At least on the Touchpad, the resolution is 1024x768. No wonder Zinio did encrypted single page PDF's...at least they could lock the content down to a degree with the DRM inside a PDF...
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 04/14/2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Added BookPrep Demo
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Hmm... Looks like I've got quite a bit of problems coming. en_US is registered, but non of the countries by themselves are. I'll do some more research this weekend and see if I can sort through the non-aligned country and locales problem.
    Thank you. I don't know what you'd done, but I can confirm it now works for my locale setting (CZ, en_US).
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I would be willing to help out where i can!

I think this homebrew pivot would be very good, it could be used to keep us up-to date with what's happening with webOS and help it stop it feeling like i am using a dead platform
    I think it is a great ideas to take over from the Pivot magazine, I am certainly getting tired of seeing the sports issue every time I go into the HP App Catalogue.

I would be more than willing to help, and you could even republish some of your webOS software reviews in the new magazine, if you wanted some additional content.
    It seems this is the first big step to a real open webos community.
    That gives me hope that webos wil survive.

THX GMMan
    greetings from Germany :-)
    Does the possibilty exist to make this work with Tweaks so we can go back and forth (between HPs featured apps and Homebrew)?

Also, like others have mentioned, I like the name webOS Atlas.
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by InternetGumshoe View Post
    I think it is a great ideas to take over from the Pivot magazine, I am certainly getting tired of seeing the sports issue every time I go into the HP App Catalogue.

I would be more than willing to help, and you could even republish some of your webOS software reviews in the new magazine, if you wanted some additional content.
    Please pardon the aside to the Pivot discussion, but if you're not familiar with Internet Gumshoe, you're missing out on one the webOS community's prize assets. The daily app reviews there (both App Catalog and Homebrew) make download and purchasing decisions much easier. And yes, I said daily.

The easiest way to access this wonderful resource is via the webOS News app that's available on the Catalog (which BTW also carries the webOS Nation news feed, as well as others of interest).

Give Internet Gumshoe a look--it's well worth your time, and completely deserving of our support. I hope that we'll be seeing more of his work in the "open source" Pivot.
    sledge007 likes this.
    in the patch file, the foolowing URL : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29365870/piv...s/edition.json leads to this file :

{"statusCode":"OK","headers":{},"body":{"info":{},"stats":{},"error":"","errorDetails":"","response" :{"edition":2,"revision":1,"downloadurl":"http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29365870/pivot/editions/test/","carrierid":5,"locale":"en_GB","description":"Pivot Homebrew Issue 0 English v01","acCountryCode":"GB","deviceFamilyName":"Topaz"}}}
    The URL inside the above file is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29365870/pivot/editions/test/ but doesn't contain the homebrew edition.

Where can I find the homebrew edition file to translate it in french ?

Thanks.
  10.    #110  
    I've just updated the magazine so that the missing page will show up. Open App Catalog to start update, the close it, wait for 30 seconds, and then open it again to get the last page.
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Not sure how it fits with your theory of operation, but I removed my working installation described in post #77. Pivot stayed as the test version. I then installed your patch and whilst the test version was initially displayed, it has now reverted on its own to the November Sports edition.
    Could you run the following command and show me the output? I want to know what is stored in the magazine database. That may lead to some clues.

`luna-send -f -n 1 -a com.palm.appcatalog luna://com.palm.db/find '{"query":{"from":"com.palm.appcatalog.editioninfo:3"}}'`
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    in the patch file, the foolowing URL : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29365870/piv...s/edition.json leads to this file :

The URL inside the above file is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29365870/pivot/editions/test/ but doesn't contain the homebrew edition.

Where can I find the homebrew edition file to translate it in french ?

Thanks.
    Dropbox won't show the directory listing, just like Palm's servers. To get the files you'll need to use my downloader. See here for download.
    The published files aren't really useful in themselves for translation because they're just images. But I can upload the working Word document so you can edit it in place.
    ok, thank you. Can you also update the patch for fr_fr locale ?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post

We need content writers! If you can write, design graphics, or shoot photos, post here or PM me. We also need an editor!

Suggestions for several regular columns / sections:

-- Tips & Tricks (based on the ones that already exist -- and more ...

-- Application Reviews - again like in the news feeds today

Each column would feature a new or old item, and end with a link to the list of all in their category
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
  15.    #115  
    ok, thank you. Can you also update the patch for fr_fr locale ?
    fr_FR locale registered.

I'm working on an update so you can switch between homebrew and official feeds, and also change the homebrew feed to another server. There's no nice feed selector right now because I don't know what feeds I'll have, but it's a start.

Update: Patch submitted. Expect to see it in a few hours.
    boucles0 likes this.
    would it be possible to host for example the french edition on my own server ? (which will be lot faster than dropbox) and how ?
  17.    #117  
    would it be possible to host for example the french edition on my own server ? (which will be lot faster than dropbox) and how ?
    You can put the files on your server and I can link to it on my feed. I'll release the workflow once everything's organized.
    UK user here, patch worked fine, left it alone for a while to update and eventually worked, looks pretty damned good.

the small font used looks a tad weird tho, almost like an image thats been over sharpened, in an image processing package.

cant wait to see some replacement reading material, woudl be nice if the last page(s) had webOS related rundown or history of important news from precentral and any other remaining webOS forums/news sites, pity one died off not too long ago.

Would be nice to see a comic type 1 page thing as well, similar to predoodle or just predoodle...
    Last edited by geekpeter; 04/14/2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quick survey: who has Pivot right now and who has Featured Apps? I want to make sure when I'm making the patch everyone will get the homebrew Pivot instead of the Featured Apps. Please state your App Catalog country, language, and system locale (if different).

English/US, The Netherlands. i still have July(!) issue on both my touchpads, which were bought 1 german and 1 US 4g touchpad.. I have installed your patch, but it doesnt work. clearly the app catalogue doesnt update pivot at all. any ideas on what i can do to get your new pivot? love the work you are doing!

edit: did a restart and now i have the new pivot! Hell Yeah!!! :-P

-- Sent from my Touchpad 4G using Communities
    Last edited by G.Vos; 04/14/2012 at 03:00 PM.
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the small font used looks a tad weird tho, almost like an image thats been over sharpened, in an image processing package.
    You're right. I had high resolution renders of the magazine, and had to scale it down. I didn't know how the font would turn out (it was too thin in Word), so I opted to sharpen when I was resizing it with IrfanView.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast