Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    After i restarted my tp the test issue works great (de_DE).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  2.    #82  
    Interesting. I thought the App Catalog service didn't even look at the response country and locale. I'll have to check that.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Could you please add support for Czech Rebublic? The country code is 'cz' and I've got 'en_us' set as device language. Thanks.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
    Could you please add support for Czech Rebublic? The country code is 'cz' and I've got 'en_us' set as device language. Thanks.
    Hmm... Looks like I've got quite a bit of problems coming. en_US is registered, but non of the countries by themselves are. I'll do some more research this weekend and see if I can sort through the non-aligned country and locales problem.
  5.    #85  
    BTW, remember that installing the patch does not mean you will see the new issue immediately. All it does is change the feed link to my Dropbox link. The TouchPad still has to download the issue and put it into the device file cache before it'll display. So after you install the patch, open up App Catalog for it to check updates to Pivot, close App Catalog, wait a few minutes, and the magazine should be up the next time you open App Catalog. If nothing, reboot and try opening App Catalog again.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Works fine for me (UK).

Alan
    thanks for the pivot patch... faith in webOS restored!!!
    great job, thanks
    greetings from Germany :-)
    If I do this patch what will I see? Anything yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennBeck View Post
    If I do this patch what will I see? Anything yet?
    This patch will probably work for you, but as it stands right now, it is in testing phase. For everyone outside the USA, ROTW, we have been stuck on November since.....December, if I remember correctly.

if you already have a fully, functional Pivot magazine, you really don't have anything to gain by adding this patch. When the ball starts rolling, and people jump on board with making our own Homebrew edition, then you might consider adding this patch.

I have a screenshot of what the first page looks like in an earlier post, in this thread.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Interesting. I thought the App Catalog service didn't even look at the response country and locale. I'll have to check that.
    Could you send the country from the user and just insert that into the reply? ie Just act on the language. Country specific editions seems to be an unnecessary complication.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Could you send the country from the user and just insert that into the reply? ie Just act on the language. Country specific editions seems to be an unnecessary complication.
    That would be nice, except I'm using Dropbox, so it's plain file serving only. If someone could host a response script then that can be done.

BTW, I just tested the patch on my own TP, and it's actually missing a page. I'll fix that tomorrow.
  13.    #93  
    Looking through the code for getting new editions, the App Catalog country is only used in internal housekeeping. The country and locale from the server response isn't even returned. Looks like I'm going to have to experiment with the system to get to the bottom of this.
    That would be nice, except I'm using Dropbox, so it's plain file serving only. If someone could host a response script then that can be done.
    I'm not clear how all of this works, so apolgies if it's a stupid suggestion, but could the edition.json code be included in the patch and manipulated locally? See my post #77
  15.    #95  
    I finished testing, and conclude that the server country and locale response has absolutely no bearing on the magazine download. The only thing that might cause trouble is having the latest issue and then changing languages, as the system sees that it has the latest version, and does not update anything. The App Catalog tries to find an issue with the current locale and fails, so the default issue is displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I'm not clear how all of this works, so apolgies if it's a stupid suggestion, but could the edition.json code be included in the patch and manipulated locally? See my post #77
    Sure, but since that part of the response is not used, there really is no point.

The only thing I can ask right now is for people to put the App Catalog service on debug logging and telling me what's happening by dumping the logs with Lumberjack.
    I've been saying for a couple months ago now (I believe I started talking about doing this back in January) that the community needed to get something like this together.

Good to see that some people have undertaken the project.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I know the PIVOT magazine has been abandoned (like almost anything else -but open source webOS project-) by HP, but after the last Novmeber_on_December monthly edition, I've seen some "featured apps" editions like the one right now for the season, "spring time". Although it is not a monthly edition, I want to get these special season/date/events editions. Will this patch prevent me of that? ...Well, even so I will support our great Homebrew Community, since you are webOS backbone! We owe you devs a lot! Even our faith in webOS being restored as someone said before; but just wanted to know this.
    Idea: it would be nice (I think) if you can make each edition available on the menu. Like if, for example, in 6 months I wanted to revisit the first PIVOT Homebrew Edition to see how much it has improve or just for the sake of looking an specific month edition.
    Great job guys, keep it coming and giving life back to our beloved webOS. We are its only hope.
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
    UPDATE: This is the comment I posted in webOS Nation's article:
    For me this is great! Although I've enjoyed the "Featured Apps" brochure, knowing the greatest community out there (Homebrew off course) is behind this, I'm all into it! Like in the forum, I suggest that -if possible- each edition maintains available on the menu. Like if for example, one wants to review its first edition and see how far it has gone or just to view some well remembered edition.
    I also have some names to suggest "webOS World", "webOS illustrated" or "webOS Phnx" since we are ressurecting from the ashes! But since webOS has always been surrounded by Greek gods and goddesses (Ares, Enyo, Iris, etcetera if any other) I can suggest some others that I think would be good to use:
    1.- Atlas - The Primordial Titan who carried the world on his back. This in reference of webOS world. So the magazine will carry webOS world on its back. "webOS Atlas".
    2.- Attis - The (minor) god of rebirth. No need to explain here; webOS is being rebirth by its community. "webOS Attis"
    3.- Chronos - (a.k.a. Chronus, Khronos) God of time. I think this looks and sounds good, "webOS Chronos".
    4.- Clio - One of the Muses. She represented History. Good since this magazine would somewhat hold/represent webOS history. "webOS Clio".
    5.- Elpis - (a.k.a. Spes) The spirit of Hope. What never dies in us webOS "die hard" lovers. "webOS Elpis".
    6.- Momus - (a.k.a. Momos) God of satire, writers, and poets. Just for the reference of what'll be: a magazine. I don't like the name though -but that's just me- "webOS Momus".
    7.- Nike - (a.k.a. Victoria, Nice) Goddess of victory. This is a victory itself (having Pivot HE (Homebrew Edition). So "webOS Nike".
    8.- Pheme - (a.k.a. Fama) Goddess of fame and gossip. I think articles will have some of this (fame to apps/developers and gossip too. "webOS Pheme".
    9.- Sterope - (a.k.a. Asterope) One of the seven Pleiades, who bore a child of Ares. I like the name and it's also related to one of the actual webOS Greek gods (Ares). "webOS Sterope".
    10.- Styx - A Naiad who was the first to aid Zeus in the Titan war. The other webOS Greek gods are related to war and like the name. "webOS Styx"
    11.- Tyche - (a.k.a. Fortuna, Nortia) Goddess of fortune and prosperity. What we need: fortune and prosperity in having more webOS apps -and it sounds like tech-, so, "webOS Tyche".
    A contest like the one with the "open webOS" logo image would be nice (with a little (or big) webOS gadget along).
    Also I would love if you could find me something to do with the project...writer I guess. If you do an Spanish version, I could help to translate as well, just like BlueRQ said.
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
    Last edited by ajguns; 04/14/2012 at 03:29 AM.
    pattyland likes this.
    I finished testing, and conclude that the server country and locale response has absolutely no bearing on the magazine download. The only thing that might cause trouble is having the latest issue and then changing languages, as the system sees that it has the latest version, and does not update anything. The App Catalog tries to find an issue with the current locale and fails, so the default issue is displayed.

Sure, but since that part of the response is not used, there really is no point.

The only thing I can ask right now is for people to put the App Catalog service on debug logging and telling me what's happening by dumping the logs with Lumberjack.
    Not sure how it fits with your theory of operation, but I removed my working installation described in post #77. Pivot stayed as the test version. I then installed your patch and whilst the test version was initially displayed, it has now reverted on its own to the November Sports edition.
    can anyone confirm if this works for Australian app catalog en.US locale AU
    have patched but no change.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    i want to help, as designer, as a spanish translator and as much as i can help!

and i'll tell to a close friend if she wants to help with web design, and photography...

RQ

webOS[[[ ]
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast