Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1.    #61  
    I've submitted the patch to webOS Internals. Hopefully you'll have an easier time installing it from there. (Update: patch is now available on Preware.)

Now that the patch is more or less working and people have reported success with the new issue, it's time to do some planning for an issue and getting people on board. This month (or perhaps next month), the topic is homebrew. That means anything from apps to patches, and Open webOS. I haven't got a complete plan for what will all be in the new issue, but that's why we need an editor. So post your support here, or PM me your material. I'll get a chat or something going soon.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    i have november pivot (sports issue), not featured apps.
    en_GB is registered, so you should be able to see the new issue. Is that what your device is set to? Go into the Regional Settings app, and tell me what's under the Language box.

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Where do I get the locale from?
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    hmm I can not install the patch ?
    Could you give some details? Can you download the patch, or is Preware refusing to install the patch, or the test issue doesn't show up?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I've submitted the patch to webOS Internals. Hopefully you'll have an easier time installing it from there.

Now that the patch is more or less working and people have reported success with the new issue, it's time to do some planning for an issue and getting people on board. This month (or perhaps next month), the topic is homebrew. That means anything from apps to patches, and Open webOS. I haven't got a complete plan for what will all be in the new issue, but that's why we need an editor. So post your support here, or PM me your material. I'll get a chat or something going soon.
    It's nice seeing you making this new efforts for making a pivot magazine for the homebrew community. Wished that HP could had the same guts to continue with the efforts of that magazine which makes it easier to find good apps for the HP TouchPad. However, knowing of how HP works it shouldn't surprise anyone(specially this whole mess of WebOS they created with their silliness of canceling hardware).

I wish that I could contribute on making things like gathering stories, but not an expert when it comes for patches. But if I'm giving the chance to contribute, please do count me in. Will try to do my best, to get myself involved during my free time.

Anything for the beloved nation of WebOS users and fans like myself, feel free to PM me.
    PalmPixi_User23
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Just found this thread and did a test. Script worked, luna done, but no update of pivot.
    Probably missing the locale? My settings are Language English, country New Zealand. Probably en_NZ?

Great initiative. Would be nice to finally get rid of the November Sports issue.
    Last edited by renater; 04/12/2012 at 04:11 AM.
    this is a great idea !

I installed patch, however I don't see any change. I am in Ireland.
    Awesome idea. We got to keep the community going !!! Patch worked ok. I hope the real content is not just screenshots. Looking forward to some real articles. How are you planning to take this forward?

Vas
    ah, back in Ireland now , it is working ..... Great !.

how about if it HP would give us a few reports for it.... Like top 20 apps, recently updated apps, and latest apps
    Quote Originally Posted by gderoiste View Post
    ah, back in Ireland now , it is working ..... Great !.

how about if it HP would give us a few reports for it.... Like top 20 apps, recently updated apps, and latest apps
    Maybe webOS Internals have stats like that? I am only guessing now....

Vas
  9.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    How are you planning to take this forward?
    I'm going to get a chat going some time for planning. It'll probably be on the WebOS Internals IRC, though chances are it'll collide with the current discussion on it. So I might have to find a different channel.
    I am new to all this stuff and this might sound like a noobish question but I'm ready for the consequences. Does this work for the HP Pre 3? Also, could someone link me a proper description of what it does? Thanks again to anyone who helps, or pities me....
  11.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by et772 View Post
    Does this work for the HP Pre 3? Also, could someone link me a proper description of what it does?
    No, this will not work for the Pre 3, for a couple of reasons. One is this is for the Enyo (aka webOS 3.0/TouchPad) version of App Catalog, so there'll have to be a lot of programming done to get it on any webOS smartphone. Two is that the content will need to be reformatted for a small screen, and features like pivoting wouldn't work well.

The patch is to replace the HP Pivot feed (no longer updated) to the homebrew Pivot feed (which will be frequently updated). As you can see throughout the thread, people are tired of the moody sports girls of the November Pivot and wants a change. It also means that an implemented feature wouldn't just go to waste. Search around if you'd like to know what Pivot is.
    Quote Originally Posted by et772 View Post
    I am new to all this stuff and this might sound like a noobish question but I'm ready for the consequences. Does this work for the HP Pre 3? Also, could someone link me a proper description of what it does? Thanks again to anyone who helps, or pities me....
    Pivot is an enhancement to the Touchpad version of the HP App Catalog, which was intended to provide a regularly updated location specific multipage magazine, highlighting noteworthy aspects of the App Catalog. It is displayed as the first screen when Touchpad users run the App Catalog program.

Surprise, surprise, HP lost interest after the first couple of updates and most of us are stuck on the November 2011 version. This patch replaces the link to HP's server with a link to an alternative server hosted by GMMan, thus providing the ability to include an alternative magazine with the Touchpad's App Catalog. If nothing else, it allows us to get rid of the now dated November 2011 Sports Issue.

EDIT: Just beat me to it GMMan.
    Last edited by johncc; 04/12/2012 at 08:43 PM.
    hmmm downloaded the patch - Luna restart and no change? In Canada
    Locale? Can I guess en_AU? (I have locale-based server responses implemented instead of a single unified response, so different locales might not get the updated issue because the locale is not available. Also it's Dropbox, so I can't write a script to serve server.

From Impostah>App Catalog>Show Session Information>magazine>downloadurl, I guess that the relevant part of my URL would be ...magazine/AU/en_US/...

EDIT: I hard coded en_US into requestURL in UpdateAssistant.jsjsjs $and$ $I$ $still$ $get$ $the$ $November$ $issue$. ($BTW$ $When$ $I$ $plug$ $requestURL$ $into$ $the$ $browser$, $I$ $get$ $valid$ $JASON$ $returned$.)

EDIT2: Downloaded an edition.json and changed "locale":"en_US" and "acCountryCode":"AU", put it in my own DropBox and changed requestURL in UpdateAssistant.jsjsjs $to$ $point$ $to$ $it$, $and$ $as$ $you$ $would$ $probably$ $expect$, $it$ $now$ $works$.
    Last edited by johncc; 04/12/2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi I am from Singapore and I am only able to view the Aug 2011 pivot for a long time. This is a great idea and I have installed the patch. The font don't look good though in the second page of the Webos April issue.

I am not a professional photographer but I am willing to be part of the team to be a photographer if you need me. Just let me know.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I'm in New York and I've been receiving pivot updates. I have March spring issue. I'm assuming I'll get April's at some point. Didn't know that people weren't receiving updated issues!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'm in Canada, but have my language set to English US, as I was having trouble with English Canada when customizing the "Just Type" caption a couple of months ago. Could this be why I can't see the new Pivot? I installed successfully from Preware, did a Luna restart, but still no luck. Any ideas why?
    en_NZ locale registered.
    Great, it works. Thanks. Opened app catalog before I read your post and I was positively surprised with the April 2012 homebrew issue. Only the fact of having a different opening screen is already great. Agree with other poster that the fonts on page 2 and on the page with the Latin are not looking great, but getting some decent content should be higher on the priority list I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    I'm in New York and I've been receiving pivot updates. I have March spring issue. I'm assuming I'll get April's at some point. Didn't know that people weren't receiving updated issues!
    If that's the case, then somebody at HP deserves a kick up the .rse for not assigning it to all English speakers.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast