Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1.    #1  
    Song ID will tell you the artist and the name of the song it's hearing through the devices microphone.
    Current published version : 0.1.03
    App info:
    Package ID : eu.ssglabs.songid
    Version : 0.1.03
    Requires : webOS 2.0.0
    Compatible with : Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HP Veer, Palm Pre2, HP Pre3, HP TouchPad
    Distribution Type : App Catalog
    Pricing : Canada : 3.00 CAD
    France : 3.00 EUR
    Germany : 3.00 EUR
    Ireland : 3.00 EUR
    Mexico : 30.00 MXN
    New Zealand : 4.00 NZD
    Spain : 3.00 EUR
    United Kingdom : 3.00 GBP
    United States : 3.00 USD
    Australia : 3.00 AUD
    Application Link :
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...ssglabs.songid

Change Log:
    Version 0.1.03: Bugfixes, error handling, search history, link to amazon search
    Version 0.1.02: Bugfixes and speed improvements
    Version 0.1.01: Initial release

Known serious bugs:
    bug : SongID will sometimes skip the deletion of temporary audio files stored in /media/internal/dts/ !
    Workaround: Manually delete /media/internal/dts/ when /media/internal starts getting full !
    Discovered: 16 Mar. 2012

This post originally contained :
    I just submited version 0.1.01 of eu.ssglabs.songid to hp.
    Tested on pre- with webos 2.1, but should work on all devices with a webos version that supports services , time to identify a song is under 40 seconds.Version 0.1.0 was faster but it was automaticaly rejected because parts of it link to libspeex.so and libogg.so, version 0.1.02 will be fast again ...
    Here is the info for the app:
    Version : 0.1.01
    App Status : Ready for Review
    Compatible with : Palm Pre, Palm Pre2
    Pricing : Canada : 5.00 CAD
    France : 5.00 EUR
    Germany : 5.00 EUR
    Ireland : 5.00 EUR
    Mexico : 51.00 MXN
    New Zealand : 6.50 NZD
    Spain : 5.00 EUR
    United Kingdom : 3.99 GBP
    United States : 5.00 USD
    Australia : 5.00 AUD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zer0C001; 09/03/2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post
    I just submited version 0.1.01 of eu.ssglabs.songid to hp.
    Tested on pre- with webos 2.1, but should work on all devices with a webos version that supports services , time to identify a song is under 40 seconds.Version 0.1.0 was faster but it was automaticaly rejected because parts of it link to libspeex.so and libogg.so, version 0.1.02 will be fast again ...
    Here is the info for the app:
    App Status : Ready for Review
    Compatible with : Palm Pre, Palm Pre2
    Pricing : Canada : 5.00 CAD
    France : 5.00 EUR
    Germany : 5.00 EUR
    Ireland : 5.00 EUR
    Mexico : 51.00 MXN
    New Zealand : 6.50 NZD
    Spain : 5.00 EUR
    United Kingdom : 3.99 GBP
    United States : 5.00 USD
    Australia : 5.00 AUD
    thanks, if database is good would buy it. I currently use midomi webpage and its pretty good but misses instrumental songs without vocals--ie soundtracks etc. Do you have a beta or a trial version of your app which I can test?
  3.    #3  
    The point of this version is to gauge interrest ,the database used by it is almost as good as midomi's, unfortunately it will miss most of the things midomi does, and maybe some more.
    The plan is to get a bigger database when the app reaches version 0.2.
    When i release version 0.1.4 the current version will be released as trial ( probably time limited ).
    ( Note: If HP does not approve the app, I'll release it on my own page and post the link here )
    The point of this version is to gauge interrest ,the database used by it is almost as good as midomi's, unfortunately it will miss most of the things midomi does, and maybe some more.
    The plan is to get a bigger database when the app reaches version 0.2.
    When i release version 0.1.4 the current version will be released as trial ( probably time limited ).
    ( Note: If HP does not approve the app, I'll release it on my own page and post the link here )
    OK. good work, keep us posted. if you would like a beta tester you can pm me.
    Yes, good news - glad to hear this. Please keep us updated.
  6.    #6  
    Quick update:
    App Status : Published
    Date Published: 03-13-2012
    Downloads: 3
    Application Link : http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...ssglabs.songid

---------------------------------------------------
    I just saw that hp has approved and published it ... It would've been nice if they had sent me an e-mail ...
    Also version 0.1.02 is almost ready, it includes bugfixes and speed improvements !
    Veer and/or TouchPad versions please.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Veer and/or TouchPad versions please.
    I've tested the app in the emulator for all versions above 2.0 on all resolutions, so it should work in Veer and touchpad.
    And also i just now updated the app info to say it is compatible with all resolutions except the TouchPad, since I couldn't provide screenshots of it running on the touchpad ; Status : Submitted .
    Ok well I did try it out before I posted (neither of them worked). I'll try it out again maybe later, or after the weekend. Thanks for making the app, not something I've been itching for, but I know "the masses" want it, and who knows maybe I could get into using it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Zer0C001 likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Ok well I did try it out before I posted (neither of them worked). I'll try it out again maybe later, or after the weekend
    Now that's a problem I didn't expect ...
    Version 0.1.02 is in closed beta, but if anyone has a problem using version 0.1.01 on their device, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and screenshots and description of the problem, and I'll send you version 0.1.02 of the app via e-mail.
  11.    #11  
    Ok well I did try it out before I posted (neither of them worked). I'll try it out again maybe later, or after the weekend. Thanks for making the app, not something I've been itching for, but I know "the masses" want it, and who knows maybe I could get into using it.
    I forgot to ask did the app launch, and did the device have internet access when you tried it ?
  12.    #12  
    Also does anyone have any feature requests ? ( to anyone who hasn't tried it - it's pretty much what you see in the screenshots )
    Thanks! This is great! It works well in a quick test I did on my Pre2 (under fairly ideal conditions - no background noise and using wi-fi). The database is pretty good and better than I expected - it found some of the more obscure titles I threw at it (though there were some indie ones it did not find, though I did not really expect it to).

My feature suggestions would be:
    1. To make the opening screen a little more user friendly/inviting since it is minimalistic/bare-bones at the moment (currently just the program title plus one button that says Listen).
    2. After it finds the song, maybe throw up a link to the Amazon MP3 store so you could download it on the spot if you desired. You could also have the option to go to allmusic.com and see other songs on that same album or other albums by that artist.

Also, I like the use of a notification to show when it is recording - that is a very nice touch.

Thanks again for putting this together - it is well worth the money to finally have this functionality on webOS.
    Zer0C001 likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
    Thanks! This is great! It works well in a quick test I did on my Pre2 (under fairly ideal conditions - no background noise and using wi-fi). The database is pretty good and better than I expected - it found some of the more obscure titles I threw at it (though there were some indie ones it did not find, though I did not really expect it to).

My feature suggestions would be:
    1. To make the opening screen a little more user friendly/inviting since it is minimalistic/bare-bones at the moment (currently just the program title plus one button that says Listen).
    2. After it finds the song, maybe throw up a link to the Amazon MP3 store so you could download it on the spot if you desired. You could also have the option to go to allmusic.com and see other songs on that same album or other albums by that artist.

Also, I like the use of a notification to show when it is recording - that is a very nice touch.

Thanks again for putting this together - it is well worth the money to finally have this functionality on webOS.
    I can't claim credit for the notification when the device is recording, that one is provided by WebOS every time an application records audio using the MediaCapture API.

1. Any suggestions about how to make the screen more inviting ?

2.a. How about an option to save the result to a list which you can view in another tab in the application and download from the device to your PC ? I think that would be better than a link to any particular MP3 store. (That one is a feature I've planned to add in a future version. )
    2.a.1. I have reservations about adding links to a particular mp3 store.

2.b. allmusic.com seems like a nice site i will definitely add the option to go to it or a similar service.

Thank you for the suggestions

Also please note that there will be no new features in version 0.1.02 , that one is only bugfixes and speed improvements and is already done.
    great job!
    Did well on touchpad identifying songs recorded by treo and played from macbook thru stereo, will try it this weekend with music on touchpad itself and also veer and pre 2.

A top 10 app.

well done, appreciate the hard work.
    Zer0C001 likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Please note there is a newly found critical bug : SongID will sometimes skip the deletion of temporary
    audio files stored in /media/internal/dts/ !
    Status: Fixed in version 0.1.02 a few minutes ago and sent to beta testers !
    Workaround: Manually delete /media/internal/dts/ when /media/internal starts getting full !
    Link still not working on Veer or TouchPad, fyi.
  18.    #18  
    Link still not working on Veer or TouchPad, fyi.
    If you mean that the link wouldn't open or let you download or app wouldn't show in the app catalog that might be because it was not listed as compatible with those devices.
    HP just updated the info in for the app to list it as compatible with the Veer, so it should work on it now.
    I can't claim credit for the notification when the device is recording, that one is provided by WebOS every time an application records audio using the MediaCapture API.

1. Any suggestions about how to make the screen more inviting ?

2.a. How about an option to save the result to a list which you can view in another tab in the application and download from the device to your PC ? I think that would be better than a link to any particular MP3 store. (That one is a feature I've planned to add in a future version. )
    2.a.1. I have reservations about adding links to a particular mp3 store.

2.b. allmusic.com seems like a nice site i will definitely add the option to go to it or a similar service.

Thank you for the suggestions

Also please note that there will be no new features in version 0.1.02 , that one is only bugfixes and speed improvements and is already done.
    Thanks for the reply - I'll address each item separately:
    1. Well, a similar app on another platform (Soundhound) has a big button that says "What's that song? Tap Here" Also, some sort of logo for your app name (SongID) and a colorful background would probably just make it look prettier (both Shazaam and Soundhound look this way). Again, the feedback on this point is purely aesthetic - your app already has the functionality nailed - if it looks beautiful too while doing it, it's the difference between a good app and a great app. And if the app is built using Enyo (all depends on how your app is built), you could potentially port to other platforms and make some additional sales there.

2a - I understand the concerns. Depending on how complex you want to make it, maybe you could make it configurable in the settings on whether to go to a particular store or not (give the user the option). Otherwise, your suggestion works too. Amazon had an app on phones for a while and they have DRM-less MP3s (though everyone else pretty much does now too) so that is where I usually buy mine.

2b - In addition to adding an option to go to allmusic.com (or similar), Soundhound also has the options to look up lyrics, and search YouTube (among other options which I don't find to be very useful). Those also might be nice options to add. The lyrics link especially answers the other obvious question after finding the name of the song (the questions being - how can I buy the song and what are the lyrics?)

Again - thanks for the great work on this. I'm really happy just to have this app - even as it is right now. It fills a long-running unfulfilled need/gap on webOS.
    Zer0C001 likes this.
  20.    #20  
    Quick update:
    SongID version 0.1.02 has now been fully tested. I will upload it to HP's app catalog until the end of the week.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast