Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    He's talking about after it listens to a song, then it searches.....forever. Usually happens with more obscure songs.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Can you please clarify your issue so folks can assist.
    So when i click to listen and record song, it records pretty good but then app starts infinite searching...
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoTox View Post
    So when i click to listen and record song, it records pretty good but then app starts infinite searching...
    Could be a problem with the internet connection of your device, since version 0.1.02 still does not have error handling.

It also happens with one of the pirated versions I've seen out there, because it's broken. ( I did test it on my device one day after I saw a link to it and figured out that it was missing some files)
    Last edited by Zer0C001; 06/09/2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: forgot about the pirated version
    Why is the development of your App so slowly? ..many people have paied a lot for it, but nothing is happened?!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    tested for an hour last night, it identified some songs that shazaam missed and once it gave a different title. however sometimes if it could not I d, it spinned and searched on touchpad without stop, sometimes it did not.. tried this morn on pre2 w 2.24 and it stopped without spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by malte123 View Post
    Why is the development of your App so slowly? ..many people have paied a lot for it, but nothing is happened?!

I could better ask: why is the price still so high? I will pay for it if it costs 2,99 but 5 bucks is just too much for the little features it has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I could better ask: why is the price still so high? I will pay for it if it costs 2,99 but 5 bucks is just too much for the little features it has.
    an app with no competition can do as it pleases tbh.
  8. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ..many people have paied a lot for it, but nothing is happened?!
    sorry, but you name 5 USD "a lot" - this are just one or two beer!

And what is "many people" - unfortunately I do not think that for webOS there are still "many" users who can by a webOS-App.

I'm quite sure that the author can not live with the income of this app and probably still has an other fulltime job (or school/univesity), so I would suggest just waiting for updates and new versions.

I like this app very much, even if it still should be improved, and thus I got two licenses, one for my Pre 2 and one for a TouchPad.

One feature I would like to see, is a button to save the song-details into a text-file in /media/internal/songid/ and perhaps even save the found cover image to this directory.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I would say $5 can be deemed high as apps go. However, one is buying what an app it is now, unless a dev promises new features in the future.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    @thg: You sure do not understand the quality-vs-price point. This app does only one thing and that is everything it does. It wasn't that hard to implement since the mic API is already there. For that price, it's just too much. If it had a lot of features, then I'd buy it in a jiffy. But just one feature in a simple app, that's overpriced IMHO, no matter how the developer gets his income.

@Geekpeter: That's your opinion. I'm just telling you that I and a lot of others ain't buying this thing until either the price drops or features are added to live up to its price.
  11. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Vistaus,

I think this is more a general discussion about App-prices, so this is my last post acording this.

@thg: You sure do not understand the quality-vs-price point. This app does only one thing and that is everything it does. It wasn't that hard to implement since the mic API is already there.
    So why there are no other Apps like this? Why is this the first and only, years after webOS 2.0 was out? And if it was not "that hard" to implement, why didn't you wrote your own App?

For that price, it's just too much. If it had a lot of features, then I'd buy it in a jiffy.
    This is your opinion, for you the price is too high, probably because you don't need the App, I'm absolutly fine with that.

And if the price is too high, the author will see it quite soon, if he is not selling it anymore, then he probably will drop the price. Or sombody else will publish a similar App for a different, maybe lower price.

But we are not iOS or Android where million of users buy even completly useless Apps and where one App-idea exists dozens of times in different price and quality versions. We are using webOS and unfortunately we can be happy to get at least one App for functions we need.

But just one feature in a simple app, that's overpriced IMHO, no matter how the developer gets his income.
    I know that there are many people who want everything for free or at least "nearly" free and unfortunately for these people the time of other developers is not that valuable as it normaly should be.

And this is not OK.

If the author of this App decides to sell it for quite little money, to get a small (additional) income or just as compliment/tribute, then we as users just have to accept it. Nobody is forced to buy the App.

The Apps I made are non-public or free and it was my decison as programmer that I give away my spare time for free to others. And I'm free to change this with every App I will do in the future and you are free to buy my App (if not free) or not.
    Last edited by thg; 06/11/2012 at 05:15 AM.
    But we are not iOS or Android where million of users buy even completly useless Apps and where one App-idea exists dozens of times in different price and quality versions. We are using webOS and unfortunately we can be happy to get at least one App for functions we need.
    Of course it is. I'll buy apps more on webOS than I did when I was on Android. That's a true fact. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with all prices.

I know that there are many people who want everything for free or at least "nearly" free and unfortunately for these people the time of other developers is not that valuable as it normaly should be.
    You, sir, are a bit... weird just like some other people here. Everytime I mention the words 'price' and 'high' everyone is coming at me as if I want everything for free. But you totally didn't read when I said that I'd buy it for 2,99
    2,99 is higher than 'nearly for free'. I'll buy for what I get for that price. For example, I bought Advanced Browser for 4,99 last year. So it's not that I'm not willing to pay much for an app like you seem to accuse me of. I'm just buying for what I think is a reasonable price for what I get in return. In this case, I get a button that will let me search a playing song. That isn't worth 5,00 IMHO. Now if it would have more features, then I'd probably buy it 'cause I do support webOS and the people who are still willing to write apps for it. Plus I could use the app from time to time when I'm shopping or in the train and I hear a song I don't know.
  13. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Vistaus,

Of course it is. I'll buy apps more on webOS than I did when I was on Android. That's a true fact.
    this is very good to hear!

But you totally didn't read when I said that I'd buy it for 2,99
    This is what I do not understand, the difference is 2 USD/EUR and for this we have a quite long discussion.

For me the price was OK, for you not but instead of just saying "ah, just 2 USD, forget it" and buying and using the App, you are waiting for a lower price/more features without using the App.

I'm fine with that, but I can not understand it ...

BTW: Perhaps the future development depends on the interest of the current version too, so if there are many people thinking like you, the author might decide to stop the development of the App because of lack of interest.
    You guys have spent more time worth more money than the cost of this app just arguing about the cost of this app. So, maybe buy this app, and maybe the developer will feel incentivized to add some features to it.

(I've bought it, and I would like to have the ability to at least search the found item on wiki or amazon or google, or something)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    For me the price was OK, for you not but instead of just saying "ah, just 2 USD, forget it" and buying and using the App, you are waiting for a lower price/more features without using the App.
    It's not just 2 USD, it's more like 3 euro's in my case. But the fact that you not understand my point and just push me into buying it makes me want this app even less (in theory than, in practice I'll buy it anyway when it gets more features or a price drop).
  16.    #56  

thg guessed correctly that i have another full time job ( and until recently university as well ).
    Anyway, sorry that the next version is taking longer than expected, please have patience.
    Last edited by Zer0C001; 06/12/2012 at 09:06 AM.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post
    thg guessed correctly that i have another full time job ( and until recently university as well ).
    Anyway, sorry that the next version is taking longer than expected, please have patience.
    Thanks for letting us know you are still around.

I and many others are happy there are folks like you still around developing for an OS with an uncertain feature at best.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 06/12/2012 at 12:58 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    geekpeter and Zer0C001 like this.
  18. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    new version 0.1.0.3 is out, brings a "Buy Now" button, that refers on a basic Amazon-search page.

This interface-page is located on the "ssglabs.eu"-server and optimized for SmartPhones.

What is quite interesting for me, how does this App work, which (personal) data is collected and on which servers and services it will be processed and stored and how long it will be stored?

Thanks a lot,
    Zer0C001 likes this.
  19.    #59  
    That was fast, I uploaded it on friday and it was released the same day ... I expected the review team at HP to take longer ...
    Version 0.1.03 brings bugfixes, error handling and requested features
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
    2. After it finds the song, maybe throw up a link to the Amazon MP3 store so you could download it on the spot if you desired...
    I decided to use the amazon search widget, technically it would be very easy to include it in the app, however it would be a breach of contract to do so, or to optimize the page it's displayed on for mobile devices. So I just made a page that only has the widget and did no optimizations for webos.
    If I do get permission from Amazon to use it in the app ( they haven't responded yet ) it will be added as a new scene.

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Maybe if you could add just recently found list of songs you've identified? That would be great!
    Added as a menu option : History.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    One feature I would like to see, is a button to save the song-details into a text-file in /media/internal/songid/ and perhaps even save the found cover image to this directory.
    Search histroy is located in /media/internal/songid.json .
    Sorry, no cover images, since I'm not sure I can distribute them.
    Since it's only 1 text file I didn't see the point in making a directory...

To do:
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    is it possible for the app to ident a tune its playing itsself on the same device
    The closest approximation i can do is to add the option for users to select a music file to be identified.
    Sorry, since it would require too much changes to the app, it was left for a future release.
    Last edited by Zer0C001; 06/18/2012 at 03:45 AM.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    What is quite interesting for me, how does this App work, which (personal) data is collected and on which servers and services it will be processed and stored and how long it will be stored?
    When you try to identify a song only the audio file recorded by the device is sent over the internet. However since it's a third party service ( I'm not allowed to say which ) I don't know what happens to it after the server responds with the song details.
    The search history is stored on the device and is not transmitted anywhere.
    The [buy now] link takes you to a php script which just fills in the search query and displays the search widget from amazon.To find out what information amazon collects from it, you should search their page.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast