Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenHex
  • 3 Post By Greg Mair
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    There is an app that I bought and there are a few things about it that I would like to change to make it more usable for me. Is there a way to pull that app off of the touchpad, and then change around some of the code, and recompile it as a new ipkg and only use it for my personal use? Is that even a legal thing to do? If so, would anybody be able to give me an idea how I would get the app off? thanks

Fej180
    Not sure of the strict legal answer, but I would have no moral issues with doing what you suggest. You can access individual files using Internalz Pro.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I have Internalz Pro, but I am not sure which file(s) I need. Thanks by the way.
    The user programs are mostly in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications
    If you change something with internals, be aware that a update via app catalog will change things back. So keep a copy of what you changed. Did this with many not anymore maintainted apps or TP apps, to be able to use it with my 2.2.4 phone.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks. I pulled the files, and recompiled the IPK and installed it on the emulator but the app just shows up blank. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. The icon shows up properly for the app, and it seems to install fine, but its just a blank gray screen. I basically have 2 goals, one is I want to learn a little bit more about programming for webOS, and as I said I want to make this app a little more customized to my needs. Thanks again.

Fej180
    Quote Originally Posted by Fej180 View Post
    There is an app that I bought and there are a few things about it that I would like to change to make it more usable for me. Is there a way to pull that app off of the touchpad, and then change around some of the code, and recompile it as a new ipkg and only use it for my personal use? Is that even a legal thing to do? If so, would anybody be able to give me an idea how I would get the app off? thanks

Fej180
    I've done it with a few webOS software I use, and I don't have any problem in doing it as most developers do allow modification of software for personal use.

It's easy to do, as the files are either Javascript, JSON or HTML, and these can be edited with any text editor. No compilation is required, as you can simply copy the files back in the proper locations. Somebody posted the instructions for doing this, but its simple.
    1. Copy application "package" from /media/cryptofs/app/usr/palm/application/<software ID> to /media/internals/
    2. Connect with USB and copy directory to local PC.
    3. Modify relevant files
    4. [Optional] Generate diffs/ patches
    5. Copy back files to respective application directory.
    6. [Optional] Use IPKG packager (search these forums) to generate IPK package.

EDIT: oops... too late, appears you already did most of the above stuff.

Some tips:
    • Check if the unmodified application works on the emulator.
    • Look at /var/log/messages while you load the modified application for clues as to why the app is blank. Most likely it is a misplaced comma, or a misspelled keyword. (use tail -f /var/log/messages on console.)

Last edited by GreenHex; 03/19/2012 at 01:50 AM.
    Game over!
    Vistaus likes this.
    What about stock apps, like music player?
    You can do whatever you want. As long as only you use it and you don't sell or upload edited ipk's
    Vistaus, laingman and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    You can do whatever you want. As long as only you use it and you don't sell or upload edited ipk's
    If this is so then my project is to try to revive nanplayer and get in working with working with 2X. Problem is I know next to nothing about coding so if anyone has any suggestions as to where to start please let me know.

It seems like most every thing works in 2.2.4 except for finding songs, the shuffle toggle doesnt go off once activated, and preferences in the drop down doesnt seem to work. Could it be that since they now require permission to access the indexer is the reason it cant find media?
    Last edited by laingman; 03/26/2012 at 02:38 PM.