Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1.    #1  
    I cannot count the number of times I've heard/read people say that the downfall of webOS is the poor selection of apps. I have personally had my TouchPad for almost 6 months, and I really have to ask this, because I can't figure it out.

What apps are missing from webOS, which are so important, that you just can't bear to use OS at all? I understand there may be an app you have grown accustomed to using, which you simply cannot live without. Maybe Netflix, or a mobile banking app, etc. Other than that, what makes the webOS app a availability so bad?

Enlighten me, 'cause it seems fine to me.
    For every user it will be a different set of apps, and, yes, there will be some lucky souls like you for whom the selection in webOS is adequate.

For me, webOS gives me iPlayer, better Flash support, and a more stable Zinio than I currently get on CM9.

Of the apps I use regularly, CM9 gives me:

Napster, Comixology, various superb guitar and music apps (Chord, Solo, iReal Book), various board game conversions that I love, but which are very unlikely to come to webOS, such as Settlers of Catan, WDTV Remote (controls my TV set-top box), and KeePassDroid.

Of apps for which equivalents exist on both, I give webOS the edge for email and the on-screen keyboard (though I find some Android replacements uglier but more functional).

In CM9, PDF support in EZPDF is superior to the enhanced PDF package in webOS (though much kudos to the guys for the improvements there), there is tighter integration with Google apps and contacts, and I personally find the Dolphin browser to be faster and more functional than the webOS browser (starts much more quickly, loads pages more quickly, has better bookmark support, and doesn't have issues with floating toolbars).

Choice can be overwhelming on Android, but as an example recently I was looking for a good DLNA streaming app. I had lots to choose from and so could settle on the one that best fitted my needs.

There are also some gorgeous apps I've installed on CM9 which I don't use regularly but which are there when I need them, such as various 3D dice shakers.

So, for me, lovely as webOS surely is, it is the apps that make the difference and since loading CM9 I've found myself using my Touchpad more and more.

Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 03/17/2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
    I cannot count the number of times I've heard/read people say that the downfall of webOS is the poor selection of apps. I have personally had my TouchPad for almost 6 months, and I really have to ask this, because I can't figure it out.

What apps are missing from webOS, which are so important, that you just can't bear to use OS at all? I understand there may be an app you have grown accustomed to using, which you simply cannot live without. Maybe Netflix, or a mobile banking app, etc. Other than that, what makes the webOS app a availability so bad?

To each his own. Some do without some don't. Whatever works for you. I went the CM9 route. Problem solved.
    Most of the apps are there for me. The only 2 missing for me are the Dutch Railways app and the app from my bank. But it's normal that they're not there since except for the original Pre, webOS was never officially launched here. Oh, and WhatsApp is also missing for me.
    Opera Mobile would be a nice addition, though no high priority.
    its usually niche apps that only suit a limited audience or american vid/music/etc apps that the rest of the world cant use.

Early days it was more a valid reason when we had no splashtop/vnc/etc etc etc, tho their still technically limited audience niche apps.
    Vistaus likes this.
    webOS has the best video poker game, hands down.

i have no idea what anyone's talking about.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Mobile banking and mobile finance apps (like CNBC for the tablet on Android) could be enough for some (a tablet can be that much faster than a typical desktop or laptop computer). Although it may not be just the lack of apps...compound that with a browser that doesn't work on a lot of sites with high encryption (possibly financial sites, like my bank and retirement company) and a photo app which doesn't display albums alphabetically or by order, and the squeeze begins. Considering there have been several revisions/updates to webOS and it becomes almost inexcusable.

For me, I would like to be able to do everything I listed above, and then some, bec sometimes you never know what you want until that new app comes along. A friend of mine just downloaded a $3.99 app for her iPhone bec. it gave her the ability to watch March Madness games streamed over her phone (she knew she would be all over the place taking her kids to activities). The point is when you have an active store/market/database of apps, and I mean ACTIVE not a dozen or so new apps a week like the current HP catalog (hence the comment of the poor selection of apps), there are new things that come along that you had no idea about (maybe not invented?) which in turn make your media consumption device even that more indispensable/invaluable...and you want to continue to use it (like Spyke noted above).

Some may consider that to be greedy (doing everything and then some), but I don't think that is out of the question when you compare that to iOS & Android (or at least for a lot of original TP owners, when there was promise last summer -- obviously before HP pulled the plug).

Ultimately for me, I can't completely think that way bec I just bought my TP in January. I knew of the lack of apps (yet had a trump card of loading CM9 if I wanted), but again, for a great many of those early people they feel abandoned. (I'm referring to the people who don't become members of forums like this, call it the general population). They knew it would take time for the offerings in the catalog to really ramp up in the beginning, kind of like how the disparity from Android catching up to iOS is much smaller now, but almost as soon as they bought their device HP threw in the towel, almost guaranteeing a hobbled app catalog. No one wants to pay $400 or more for that.
    Last edited by NewTouchPadUser; 03/18/2012 at 06:21 PM.
    It's also marketing
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Netflix for me is always a big one, don't like the other workarounds to get it on, just a simple app will do. I'm also a big gamer, and as much as I like living out the classics with the SNES emu, sometimes I just wanna play my newer Angry Bird games as well. A full fledged Kindle app would be nice as well instead of the still-beta one we have that doesn't support magazines and such.

Hoping they allow for Android apps on the TP soon like whatever company was working on with HP, that to me is a far easier solution then having to mod it for Ice Cream whatever since the webOS itself is just fine, just severely lacking in apps.
    jeanjean likes this.
    webOS has the BEST email and calendaring apps, period. I also prefer Kindle for webOS as well. To me the biggest thing missing are third party browsers.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Vistaus likes this.
    WebOS has everything for me.
    It just isn't something for people who need the hottest and latest or like to join a group who has that and money is not important, they have iPads or iPhones. Android is for people who are more mainstream, price conscious and appreciate a lot of choice when it comes to phones and applications. And there is still a corner for some geeky stuff in Android.
    webOS is for some geeks and more recent open source fans, but also lots of people who went for a bargain during fire sale including some people who just appreciate a reasonable browser, nice email and calendar app and some ereaders replacing books and magazines. There is also a corner for small kids as people are more careful with their expensive iPads than with a fire sale Touchpad.

Just my high-level market analyses, don't feel lost if I haven't mentioned your preferences. There are still Blackberries, Windows phones and Window 8 tablets and phones are around the corner... Plenty of choice..
    I use both os's regularly. I like CM 9 for games, yourversion, evernote, pulse reader and google apps. I love webos for its look and feel, work email, Zite, glympse and such. I think the touchpad is the most versatile device. A bit slow but overall just as awesome as Ipad. Regards, David
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I drool over the Garage Band app on my wife's iPad....and my son recently discovered Angry Birds Space -- which I'm assuming will not be on webOS. So, yeah, it really is the 10% of apps that make the world of difference for many users.
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    I drool over the Garage Band app on my wife's iPad....and my son recently discovered Angry Birds Space -- which I'm assuming will not be on webOS. So, yeah, it really is the 10% of apps that make the world of difference for many users.
    Why would you assume Angry Birds Space would not be on webOS?

What part of Angry Birds would lead you to believe that it would not be on webOS?

Is it that there are no other Angry Birds games on webOS? It cannot be this, because as of today, every single Angry Birds game is currently available on every webOS device.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I cannot count the number of times I've heard/read people say that the downfall of webOS is the poor selection of apps.
    For me the downfall of webOS was MORE then poor app selection. The downfall was flawed, software, hardware, & flawed execution by the company. That is there is no one problem, nothing was perfect for me. There was no one quick fix that would have righted the ship.

These where why i stopped using a webos device. My software issues lag/unresponsive screen, Inadequate music player, mediocre mail app. My hardware Issues: hated keyboard, keyboard broke, didn't like the slider form factor. I wanted a slab. My flawed execution issues: OS features not getting updated or added fast enough. Couldn't add voice controls fast enough, visual voice, couldn't update launch apps like youtube or google maps. Focusing on iTunes hacks rather then making a good desktop media manager/sync client. Stacks and TTS didn't appeal to me personally. I'd have put energy into other things. I understand others like these or don't care. I'm only talking about me.

What apps are missing from webOS, which are so important, that you just can't bear to use OS at all? ...

Not withstanding what I wrote above app selection; app choice is extremely important. I grew tired of waiting after two and a half years. These are the current must have apps on my phone as of this writing that i can't get on webOS to my understanding. Forgive me if they have since been launched on webos but it's been more then a year since i've even opened the webos catalog and some may have been added. I'm mostly a phone user so much of this relates more to using a phone and a pre specifically. Regardless you wanted a missing apps. Here are my missing apps:

1. Starbucks (interfaces my account and i can pay with my phone)
    2. My Xbox Live
    3. COD Elite
    4. Garmin Navigation
    5. IMDB (don't remember if this is on webos, forgive me if it is)
    6. Dolphin browser
    7. Downcast
    8. Gmusic (Google music beta app)
    9. Mint.com
    10. Youtube app where I can access my actual account
    11. a better google maps
    12. KNBR radio (a San Francisco radio station)
    13. Audiogalaxy
    14. Subsonic
    15. Chase Manhattan Bank
    16. Fidelity (I’m not moving my investments for a phone)
    17. CNN
    18. CNBC
    19. Wikinvest (tracks about 15 different stock portfolios for me)
    20. Sugarsync
    21. Windows Skydrive
    22. Flipboard
    23. Pulse News
    24. Amplitube (guitar amp modeling)
    25. Fourtrack (portable audio 4 track recorder used to record guitar)
    26. Fret Surfer (used to help me learn the guitar fretboard and ear training)
    27. Beatmaker
    28. Infinity blade
    29. Words With Friends
    30. Chess With Friends
    31. Grand Theft Auto III
    32. Black’s Law Dictionary 9th Edition
    33. Fastcase (for research)
    34. ESPN Soccernet
    35. MLS Matchday
    36. An app from virtually every sports team I follow across 3 sports, soccer, football, basketball.
    37. ESPN Bracket Bound (March Madness Bracket submission app)
    38. FFM (An app for interfacing with the official EPL Soccer Fantasy League)
    39. Starbucks
    40. Tango
    41. Skype
    42. Instagram
    43. Camera+/Camera Sharp simply for the advance features like image stabilization, white balance, red eye reduction, timer
    44. Houzz
    45. Delta Mobile (phone checkins and boarding passes)
    46. GarageBand

For 95% of these apps it's about the specific app. I'm don't care if there is an alternative. I want this app because it does something specific. Like i don't care that there hypothetically may be another scrabble app one webos. That doesn't help me with my friends that are playing words with friends. I don't need a different fantasy game cause the one i'm playing is on a specific website. I don't care that if there's a United App. I fly to Atlanta all the time and that means Delta. So the point isn't if there are alternatives. I want this app. In the other cases its simply a case that there either isn't an app that does the same thing or does it well enough to satisfy me.

The other app issue is without a lot of users you don't get the apps for these constantly changing routine but infrequent events. For example, you don't get many apps about, the academy awards, all star games, World Cup official apps, The European Championship official apps, Convention apps like an E3, Superbowl. I'm sure there may be some apps for some of these. I'm trying to make a general point that you typically don't get such apps on webos for these sorts of events. You don't get the niche apps like these or music production apps.

A related point. For my use, what i can do with a phone (the apps) are monumentally more important then how i do stuff (the GUI). I don't spend my day multitasking and making stacks. I spend it sending a text or checking stocks or sending an email etc so for my use the GUI of webos, iOS, Android is actually much less important.

It's great if the webOS app selection satisfies you individually, but to have wide appeal you need choice and variety because everyone's tastes are different and everyone is gonna want different apps. And as i said in the first paragraph, even if you add apps, app selection is merely one of several issues that hurt webOS. It wasn't just one thing.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/19/2012 at 07:07 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Jophiel likes this.
    You must really like CNN but really hate using CNN.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTouchPadUser View Post
    . A friend of mine just downloaded a $3.99 app for her iPhone bec. it gave her the ability to watch March Madness games streamed over her phone (she knew she would be all over the place taking her kids to activities).
    actually, i signed up for that, and used the website to stream to my TP this weekend. it worked very well - obviously depending on how good the wifi connection was, but no worse than the app on my Android phone. I was pleasantly surprised.
    The downfall of webOS was not app, or hardware or any such thing. They could not convince the public that this thing made by a company nobody knows anymore could be good for them.

We on the forums are tech nerds and know better. People on the blogs cant stop comparing every new version of other operating systems to webOS, but the general public has never heard of it. Ask the analysts on wall street what's the best os I bet they would probably say webOS even as they carry iPhones.

Fact is the public has been conditioned that iphone is the best and that's an hard nut to crack. And of course google was able to flood the market with a million varieties of android.

But probably if they had a big ugly slab phone things would be different. And their advertising sucked. There was apple claiming if you don't have an iphone you can't do this and that while palm was making commercials that nobody but webOS users would understand.
    • My Xbox Live -- only officially available on Windows Phone
    • Garmin Navigation -- there are others, unless brand identity is a thing for you
    • Mint.com -- the iOS version is completely incomprehensible - if you've seen it you might not want it
    • Youtube app where I can access my actual account -- youtube generally prefers people to use the website for that sort of thing, not an app
    • KNBR radio (a San Francisco radio station) -- there are dozens of radio apps, i bet many of them have that
    • Subsonic -- XO: Subsonic Commander, available for all 1.4.5+ devices
    • Windows Skydrive -- only available on WIndows Phone
    • Amplitube (guitar amp modeling) -- only available on iOS, I think
    • Fourtrack (portable audio 4 track recorder used to record guitar) -- same
    • Fret Surfer (used to help me learn the guitar fretboard and ear training) -- same
    • Infinity blade -- only available on iOS
    • Starbucks -- you said "Starbucks" twice. ("I like Starbucks")
    • Skype -- comes with the operating system
    • Camera+/Camera Sharp simply for the advance features like image stabilization, white balance, red eye reduction, timer -- there are a handful of apps for this, unfortunately not nearly enough
    • Red Laser -- barcode scanners are pretty common
    • GarageBand -- only available on iOS

.. so, you'd like to carry a Windows Phone, an Android, and an iPad?

seriously, though, no platform has everything. webOS isn't even close. It does have far more than PlayBook though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    The downfall of webOS was not app, or hardware or any such thing.
    It was for me.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast