Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    The photo app in webos is missing the ability to sort files and doesn't display the filename of each photo as viewed.
    Andriod gallery has it, why can't webos fix it. This is a must have for sales presentations and why I purchased the tablet. I love WebOs but this is a problem.
    Doesn't the preware "show filenames" patch display filenames below the images?
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I use a whole raft of apps on the iPad/iPod, none of these are essential to life but they keep me amused and entertained.

The thing is, I am into music making/control/synthesis and there is some real quality out there that you can really integrate into productive projects (not just a quick play on the train). The fact there are numerous other apps as well is a nice bonus. Yeh, they are mostly time-wasters but hey, it's my time.

Android will not cut it because it is inherently badly designed for music production (it's hampered by a thing called latency).

So I do some casual surfing with the TP, play around with CM9 for fun and use the apps in iOS.

I guess it depends where your interests are.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Did you read the linked article? It's incomplete.

Edit: Your google-** is weak old man
    I think one of the down falls was it took so long just to get document editing. Also There are no push notifications! if webos would support push I feel we would have way no apps and alot of apps we do have would became much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by BradE View Post
    Apps matter, but it is really about getting useful things done - easily. The average Joe does not want to be bothered looking for a workaround. webOS has a chance to get there and even carve out a niche in the cell phone market.
    I wish I could agree with you, I really do, but I can't. For a phone, yes, it is about getting things done...but what you do may be different from what I do vs what plenty of other people do. There comes a point when you need a lot of apps to satisfy a lot of people, and continue satisfying people by showing them additional things that they can do by the consistent introduction of new apps. Once that dwindles so does the OS.

Once you have completed the tasks you need to do to get useful things done as you say, let's say like email, social media, news, weather info & feeds, your day is done and you are no longer productive. But, because I enjoy using my device so much (making a lot of mundane tasks enjoyable or no longer like tasks), I want to keep using it to be amused or entertained (as another poster in this thread said). Lets imagine I have an iPhone or Samsung Note (the one with the enormous 5.3 inch screen) and I want to play an online scrabble game with friends or family (like Words With Friends), or pick from a variety of simple matching type games like Bejeweled, or decide on which of the many tower defense games I'm going to choose from, I can't with my webOS device. The wide choice of apps within these genres doesn't exist.

You see, I now start to view it as a productivity only gadget vs. one that can do anything with a larger app ecosystem. That is why having all of the apps to choose from is so important, and why iOS & Android will continue gaining so many users.

Until webOS gets there I disagree (that it can carve out a niche in the cell phone market), and it's too bad bec I really enjoy it.
    I agree with the op. I know a lot of ordinary people and none of them use all these apps people are crying about. But I suppose if the sales pitch is that you have tons of apps that can sway one's decision, even if they will not actually use them.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    But I suppose if the sales pitch is that you have tons of apps that can sway one's decision, even if they will not actually use them.
    For a great majority, it's hard not to look at a $400-$500 (or more) purchase and ask what will I get for that kind of money (especially after the purchase)? Should I...

Go with webOS that has a few thousand apps, or

Go with Android which has 400,000+ apps.

Go with iOS which has 500,000+ apps.

I bought my TP well after the firesale, and am happy I bought it, just throwing it out there how others may think. (I guess the first option doesn't really exist any more since there aren't any new devices being made, but could be a challenge going further if any hardware developers sign on.)

All the best!
    <deleted quote>
    webOS falls short in the fart app department. i mean we only have about a dozen or so. :-)
    Last edited by sledge007; 03/25/2012 at 09:09 AM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    <deleted quote>

I’ll give you that what I stated is an old, tired line (as true to life, however, as it is for many to know that they can support their expensive media consumption device/toy in the relative near future by keeping it alive with "fresh" apps -- although I think we kind of know that the investment into these devices won’t be able to last forever with how fast technology is adapting), but so is yours (counting only the useful apps). Somewhere together we should meet. Sure there are many useless apps, and even some that are extremely duplicative in their nature within the many offered in iOS and Android, but there is also incredible (INCREDIBLE!) variety.

I stated in a previous post in this thread three gaming options in which there is very little, if any, app availability for the TP:

- What if I’d like to play an online scrabble game with friends or family (like Words With Friends)?

- Can I pick from a variety of simple matching type games like Bejeweled for the TP?

- I’m a big tower defense fan, which games should I choose from in the HP Catalog?

I simply can't do so with my TP. The wide choice of apps within these genres doesn't exist.

My intent is not to argue with you, nor berate/belittle the TP or even you. Just simply going back to the OP’s comment/question and state just a few examples of apps (almost entire app genres) that are missing from webOS that could make people question whether they should stay or begin to look at switching operating systems, for the variety that is offered.

These are actually three areas that personally affect me. I neglected to mention them as so.

All the best!
    Last edited by sledge007; 03/25/2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Why would you assume Angry Birds Space would not be on webOS?

What part of Angry Birds would lead you to believe that it would not be on webOS?

Is it that there are no other Angry Birds games on webOS? It cannot be this, because as of today, every single Angry Birds game is currently available on every webOS device.
    If you compare webOS versions of Angry Birds to iOS/Android versions you'll also see that the webOS versions are sorely out of date in comparison (see Angry Birds Seasons for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTouchPadUser View Post
    I stated in a previous post in this thread three gaming options in which there is very little, if any, app availability for the TP:

- What if Iíd like to play an online scrabble game with friends or family (like Words With Friends)?

- Can I pick from a variety of simple matching type games like Bejeweled for the TP?

- Iím a big tower defense fan, which games should I choose from in the HP Catalog?

I simply can't do so with my TP. The wide choice of apps within these genres doesn't exist.

My intent is not to argue with you, nor berate/belittle the TP or even you. Just simply going back to the OPís comment/question and state just a few examples of apps (almost entire app genres) that are missing from webOS that could make people question whether they should stay or begin to look at switching operating systems, for the variety that is offered.

These are actually three areas that personally affect me. I neglected to mention them as so.

All the best!
    -There is a Scrabble-game, though no Words With Friends. Granted.
    -Yes, matching type games is what webOS has a lot in the App Catalog.
    -I know about 4 Tower Defense games in the catalog, one of them gout released only about 2 weeks or so ago, the rest exists longer. But granted, less than on other OS'es.

But your statement about technology is a bit off. Just because techonlogy is evolving doesn't mean you should evolve with that new technology. I mean, yes, when you make hardware that's true. But as end-user, you could simply hold on to what you like. That's why there are still people using Nokia's or Motorola's or Palms from centuries ago. As long as you like using it and it does what you need, then why switch? Just because there is newer technology you can show off with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    -There is a Scrabble-game, though no Words With Friends. Granted.
    -Yes, matching type games is what webOS has a lot in the App Catalog.
    -I know about 4 Tower Defense games in the catalog, one of them gout released only about 2 weeks or so ago, the rest exists longer. But granted, less than on other OS'es.

But your statement about technology is a bit off. Just because techonlogy is evolving doesn't mean you should evolve with that new technology. I mean, yes, when you make hardware that's true. But as end-user, you could simply hold on to what you like. That's why there are still people using Nokia's or Motorola's or Palms from centuries ago. As long as you like using it and it does what you need, then why switch? Just because there is newer technology you can show off with?
    For TouchPad specific games like I asked, I would appreciate you telling me the names bec. I don't know of a great variety in each of those genres. For matching games, it's really only Jungle Jewels, and it gets tiring playing the same game over & over. I once stumbled on something else but it never showed any screenshots, even after looking at it several times.

But for one of your statements, "Just because techonlogy is evolving doesn't mean you should evolve with that new technology."...

While I understand your point, I guess that means we should live in the old Palm world, including Palm (but look where that got them) and watch the world go whizzing by? Yeah I enjoyed my 650 & 755p but I took them as far as I could, paying exorbitant $10-$25 fees to get the newer graphic-rich apps that OS had never seen until then just to keep the OS fresh, only to watch Apple's iPhone steal away Palm's market, meanwhile developers were offering tons of new apps for $0.99 to $2.99 for all those iThings. And Palm needed major investors and in the end to be bought out bec they didn't evolve quickly enough, several times. (Stupid Corrigan.) Then you truly became forced to sticking with that old technology that you said people hold onto bec like they like it.

Ok, let me settle down a bit (I was a Palm user back to my m100 and m505)...but as for the end-user (you and I), if we're talking phones, which a lot of users are tethered to expensive contracts, and new phones come out each cycle, you better believe I'm going to consider switching to a newer, more powerful & faster device with a bigger & better screen, etc. I don't need to keep up with the Joneses, just the advancements that technology affords us (esp. in the end when they cost next to nothing to upgrade every contract renewal).

There's a reason why I no longer use the console TV with the VHS tapes.
    o
    Quote Originally Posted by jakko View Post
    Are you referring to the ea scrabble that hasn't been updated in over a year? It looks awful on the touchpad and doesn't even have online play like words with friends or scrabble on other platforms. The same game with more features is also free on other platforms. but the webos version cost but lacks many features. Another problem with webos apps are most of them are made by hobbyist looking to make a quick buck in the non refundable app catalog. There is a lack of quality.
    The game essentially hasn't changed since invented in 1938, except the name change in 1952, so I'm not overly concerned about updates as long as it works (and mine does). I read many complaints about the free android version not working.

What do you think looks so awful on the touchpad? I just launched it and looks OK to me. I with it would run in landscape but can live with portrait. And yes online support would be nice. I see there is a "scrabble free" from EA for android but can't comment on relative features since I've never played it.. I see scrabble free for iphone but it's $9.99 in the ipad app store as I type this. The pics of both look identical to the $6.99 touchpad version near as I can tell.

Scrabble is from EA not a hobbyist of course but I'm grateful for app choices wherever the source. I'm not fond of some aspects of the HP app catalog. It is hard to get a refund from it, I have but it wasn't easy. I think the app catalog quality overall is good in my experience.. "There is a lack of quality" is such a broad statement that not sure it means much without some specific examples to back it up, or really a lot of examples for such a broad statement as there are over 1000 touchpad specific apps (scrabble isn't one of them) and many more that run on phones & touchpad.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakko View Post
    The game crashes and hasn't been updated in 2 years. There is no online play like the other versions so I don't see the point of it. Anyway I play words with friends on cm9. I remember when I bought scrabble back when I used the pre and everyone said online play would be added in an update. It was a waste of $10.00

I don't see how you can look at it and say it looks ok. You must be a real webos fan.
    Guess I'd be upset if online was promised and not delivered but I wasn't aware it was promised. Mine has yet to crash on me, which would also be upsetting. As for looks, looks the same as the pics of android and ipad versions. Without knowing what it is about the looks you object to, I can't respond.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    o

The game essentially hasn't changed since invented in 1938, except the name change in 1952, so I'm not overly concerned about updates as long as it works (and mine does). I read many complaints about the free android version not working.

What do you think looks so awful on the touchpad? I just launched it and looks OK to me. I with it would run in landscape but can live with portrait. And yes online support would be nice. I see there is a "scrabble free" from EA for android but can't comment on relative features since I've never played it.. I see scrabble free for iphone but it's $9.99 in the ipad app store as I type this. The pics of both look identical to the $6.99 touchpad version near as I can tell.

Scrabble is from EA not a hobbyist of course but I'm grateful for app choices wherever the source. I'm not fond of some aspects of the HP app catalog. It is hard to get a refund from it, I have but it wasn't easy. I think the app catalog quality overall is good in my experience.. "There is a lack of quality" is such a broad statement that not sure it means much without some specific examples to back it up, or really a lot of examples for such a broad statement as there are over 1000 touchpad specific apps (scrabble isn't one of them) and many more that run on phones & touchpad.
    Considering how gorgeous the screen of the TP is, I would say that Scrabble really isn't that great. Yes, the game functions, but it is pixelated (fuzzy and not clear) and it certainly does not take advantage of the full screen. Black bars on both sides. For such a wonderful screen, it is almost unacceptable...but that is why it is NOT a TP specific app, which is disappointing.
    Considering how gorgeous the screen of the TP is, I would say that Scrabble really isn't that great. Yes, the game functions, but it is pixelated (fuzzy and not clear) and it certainly does not take advantage of the full screen. Black bars on both sides. For such a wonderful screen, it is almost unacceptable...but that is why it is NOT a TP specific app, which is disappointing.
    it sadly looks the same on Android and iOS. The official Scrabble app suuuucks compared to WWF.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    it sadly looks the same on Android and iOS. The official Scrabble app suuuucks compared to WWF.
    Yep, obviously not touchpad specific/optimized, EA seemingly too cheap to do better versions for any tablet. I think it looks OK. Certainly could be better but certainly useable. Just cause it COULD be better doesn't mean I won't play a decent fun game.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Interestingly I now use an Android device as my main device and have downloaded a ton of apps...but guess what? Don't use them all that much except for the dolphin browser and a functioning doc editor

I am.more of a mobile web user than apps...and that's an area where webos falls short. Many sites are not optimized for the browser or are not compatible. I eagerly look forward to the Isis browser and really hope HP gets some help with hardware from an OEM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Interestingly I now use an Android device as my main device and have downloaded a ton of apps...but guess what? Don't use them all that much except for the dolphin browser and a functioning doc editor

I am.more of a mobile web user than apps...and that's an area where webos falls short. Many sites are not optimized for the browser or are not compatible. I eagerly look forward to the Isis browser and really hope HP gets some help with hardware from an OEM.
    New toys are always fun but amazing how they fall away after the shine wears off isn't it? Agree that web browser improvements would be most welcome.
    Vistaus likes this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast