Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    • My Xbox Live -- only officially available on Windows Phone
    • Garmin Navigation -- there are others, unless brand identity is a thing for you
    • Mint.com -- the iOS version is completely incomprehensible - if you've seen it you might not want it
    • Youtube app where I can access my actual account -- youtube generally prefers people to use the website for that sort of thing, not an app
    • KNBR radio (a San Francisco radio station) -- there are dozens of radio apps, i bet many of them have that
    • Subsonic -- XO: Subsonic Commander, available for all 1.4.5+ devices
    • Windows Skydrive -- only available on WIndows Phone
    • Amplitube (guitar amp modeling) -- only available on iOS, I think
    • Fourtrack (portable audio 4 track recorder used to record guitar) -- same
    • Fret Surfer (used to help me learn the guitar fretboard and ear training) -- same
    • Infinity blade -- only available on iOS
    • Starbucks -- you said "Starbucks" twice. ("I like Starbucks")
    • Skype -- comes with the operating system
    • Camera+/Camera Sharp simply for the advance features like image stabilization, white balance, red eye reduction, timer -- there are a handful of apps for this, unfortunately not nearly enough
    • Red Laser -- barcode scanners are pretty common
    • GarageBand -- only available on iOS

.. so, you'd like to carry a Windows Phone, an Android, and an iPad?

seriously, though, no platform has everything. webOS isn't even close. It does have far more than PlayBook though.
    That's still only 16 out of what 45 or so apps i listed and the tones of unknown apps that just pop up like the espn march madness bracket app. But what you've given are mostly just a bunch of excuses or alternatives and flawed information. For example, My xbox live is on my iphone. App Store - My Xbox LIVE And guess what the fact that something is only on one platform only shows the lack of app support for webos. Its doesn't justify not having it but i also said 95% of them i want a specific app not an alternative. In the cases it does justify it like Garageband, and apple only app, that's part of the 5% where i'd take a reasonable alternative. Is there one on webos that does the same stuff? I haven't seen it. So your response that it's only on ios doesn't solve the issue of that same service of amp emulation and multitrack recording, editing, mixing etc. not being on webos. Nor it persuade men when you consider the myriad of other apps that are only on one platform like Amplitube or some Akai stuff and countless others.

But you keep saying stuff is only available for this phone or that and your just wrong. I have skydrive on my iphone. App Store - SkyDrive

As i said in most cases i don't care about hacks, workarounds or alternatives, they are inadequate for a myriad of reasons in many cases. I'm not talking about a random "barcode scanner" i want Redlaser.

What you given is nothing more then a list of excuses or alternative criticisms of the actual app. It amounts to they aren't there. There is simply no disputing that these are apps i want that are on another platform that i can't get on webos. period.

Sorry Starbucks is listed twice. I like starbucks too and It's still not on webos. Even where there is an app on webos liek the subsonic, it cost money. My subsonic app was free! You criticize the mint.com app as incomprehensible. It's still NOT on the platform. Yeah the brand of Garmin matters. I have it in one of my cars. I have unlimited maps. "Youtube prefer?" So what. I don't care what youtube prefers. And they have an app for android phones. my iphone has an youtube app that interfaces with my account. Again, either way there's no app that interfaces with my account. Your reasoning of just use the website doesn't help me. I don't want to have to re-log in every single time. Skype? Doesn't come with my Pre. So maybe on the touchpad but not on my pre. plus the OP was about a complaint about lack of apps and why people bailed on webos. Well that took place over the life of webos. I bailed before the pre 3 and veer and tp debacle and pre 3 wasn't even released in the U.S. so it wasn't in my old pre OS. So i think that's still relevant as people turned from webos and many times during it's existence. But on the point of video chat Tango isn't there though and my sister and mother both use Tango only not Skype.

What you have is by and large simply a bunch of excuses. The OP asks for the apps that we couldn't do with out. I listed tons. No matter what your response, with very few exceptions, none of it amounts to "no this is actually on webos." But as i said i haven't looked at the catalog in a long time as there's no way to do it online or without a device. But as i wrote before, i'm not interested in a workaround, a hack, or an alternative in most cases. i'm looking for a specific app. Sure there every platform won't have everything, and on some i can compromise cause i don't care. twitter for example. any will do. For others i need the specific app. For others there is no compromise

I'm not saying it's wrong if someone is satisfied with the catalog. That's their own personal choice. good for them but for me i needed more and was unwilling to wait. As for my device. I have an iphone 4S. Everyone of those apps is available on and currently loaded on my device. See i'm not talking about what i "like to carry." This is what i actually do carry.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/19/2012 at 06:11 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    The downfall of webOS was not app, or hardware or any such thing. They could not convince the public that this thing made by a company nobody knows anymore could be good for them.

We on the forums are tech nerds and know better. People on the blogs cant stop comparing every new version of other operating systems to webOS, but the general public has never heard of it. Ask the analysts on wall street what's the best os I bet they would probably say webOS even as they carry iPhones.

Fact is the public has been conditioned that iphone is the best and that's an hard nut to crack. And of course google was able to flood the market with a million varieties of android.

But probably if they had a big ugly slab phone things would be different. And their advertising sucked. There was apple claiming if you don't have an iphone you can't do this and that while palm was making commercials that nobody but webOS users would understand.
    There is a certain agreement with what you are saying, but sometimes we cant deny the fact that WebOS was flawed and buggy since its beginning. When users starting using the first original Palm Pre(on Sprint), many users were complaining of the constant rebooting and slow performance. I even experienced that with my own Palm Pixi+ until the update 1.4.5.1 came along that once again made my phone usable. So to make story short, Palm mishaps with using the wrong techniques of marketing and making poor advertisements which didn't made WebOS stand from the crowd of Apple's brainwashing Kool-aid.

For me the original palm pre was completely flawed device, and should had made some improvements into the hardware before Palm rushing out to make an impact into a market that was getting owned by Apple. The Palm Pre 3(already cancelled thanks to Stupid HP) should have been the first original model of the Palm Pre. With a large 3.6 display, 5MP camera, among others goodies would had a bigger impact than any other model of the stack of android handsets, or iPhones 3 or 4.

Anyways to stay in Topic of apps, here I will show my selection of apps that I will dream of ever grazing the empty store of HP app catalog. Wish that HP should kept their original plan with WebOS, I'm pretty sure we could at least have some of these apps that I'm mentioning and others that were mentioned by other posters.

* Adobe Photoshop Touch.
    * Adobe Eazel for Photoshop CS5.
    * Official Amazon store.(that way to download music and content directly to your TouchPad).
    * More Mobile Banking Apps.(Such American Express, Chase, Capital One, Wells Fargo among others).
    * Adobe Revel.
    * Tango
    * Opera Browser.
    * Mozilla Firefox.
    * Windows Live Messenger.
    * Yahoo Live Messenger.
    * Google Search.
    * HBO Go.
    * Vonage App.
    * An actual Skype App.
    * Nimbuzz
    * More Gameloft games.
    * more electronics Arts Games.
    * Dolphin Browser.
    * ABC mobile app.
    * iTunes (just a mere wishful thinking).
    * Google's Gmail app.
    * Twitter app. (for those who want those kinds of things)
    * Fring.
    * and Many more apps.....
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    It was for me.
    I know it was for you but I bet you are in the minority. I think most people don't have the time for or know about all those things.
    It is still basic phone functions for most people: phone call, email, messaging, the occasional video and music.

Probably wether their bank has an app is important to some people but its getting to be a mute point as more and more have mobile versions of their website. And I believe that considering that these are the things that people do the most they would be very happy with a webOS phone. If you could get them to try it
    I certainly didn't mean for that to be taken in the way that it apparently was, SnotBoogie, my apologies.

And also my apologies for the areas that I was incorrect -- I don't actually have a Windows Phone, and I've never searched the app catalogs for that. I do however notice that I've seen a lot of advertising for both My Xbox Live and Skydrive, that both say "AVAILABLE ONLY ON WINDOWS PHONE!".

Also, when are alternatives to a name brand app acceptable, and when aren't they? Obviously that comes into play sometimes. And in some cases, you may find that a name brand doesn't actually have a presence on one or the other of the majors .. so, if you go with iOS or Android, you'll eventually have some thing that people can't or won't do there.

In any case, we're on the same side here -- I'm not at all saying YOU'RE WRONG because you're not. But at least for some of them, we do have functional apps.

And the "You said Starbucks twice" was a reference to a classic Mel Brooks movie, "Blazing Saddles". I'll try to remember not to use that reference here anymore, because that's the second or third time I've made that joke, and it bombed big time sorry

So, what is so special about RedLaser?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I certainly didn't mean for that to be taken in the way that it apparently was, SnotBoogie, my apologies.

And also my apologies for the areas that I was incorrect -- I don't actually have a Windows Phone, and I've never searched the app catalogs for that. I do however notice that I've seen a lot of advertising for both My Xbox Live and Skydrive, that both say "AVAILABLE ONLY ON WINDOWS PHONE!".

Also, when are alternatives to a name brand app acceptable, and when aren't they? Obviously that comes into play sometimes. And in some cases, you may find that a name brand doesn't actually have a presence on one or the other of the majors .. so, if you go with iOS or Android, you'll eventually have some thing that people can't or won't do there.

In any case, we're on the same side here -- I'm not at all saying YOU'RE WRONG because you're not. But at least for some of them, we do have functional apps.

And the "You said Starbucks twice" was a reference to a classic Mel Brooks movie, "Blazing Saddles". I'll try to remember not to use that reference here anymore, because that's the second or third time I've made that joke, and it bombed big time sorry

So, what is so special about RedLaser?
    Trust me, there is NO need to apologize. It wasn't taken as an attack on me. Trust me i'm not hyper sensitive. You just made a list so it was a lot of points. So i was trying to address some points, which quickly became addressing damn near all. lol.

I only speak for me. So those where my list. Notice, i omitted Netflix. It's important but i don't use it so it's not on my list. And i know there are alternative to things like redlaser but in many cases there is something specific that makes an alternative either iadequate or a hassle. But when i said 95% i was trying to convey the idea that i understand that for some apps it's not all about this app but that a competent alternative is an option. Downcast would be one. But i do love downcast. Redlaser is probably one. Hell omit redlaser if you want cause shop savvy is better and it's on webos.Hell i'll go back and delete redlaser cause it's not that important to me. lol. And sure there may be a "functional alternative" but not for most. And in some cases the alternative is not an option i really. For others it's fine. Like twitter apps or certain utilities, and others. That's kinda the point. But the OP asked for our personal opinions. This is just my opinion and my use.

As for the windows apps i know about them because i saw them posted on Joystiq and IGN and the like when they launched. Office however is still Windows Phone only. I have actually never seen all of blazing saddles so i didn't get that one. I'm sure it was funny to others.

But again, no need to apologize. I'm a big boy and I know that 99.9% of the comments are merely well meaning discussion. Not any sort of furious angry battle. A side point is maybe access to open webos will allow for a motivated developer to create adequate alternatives form many of these things that don't involve interfacing with sensitive info like say a banking app.

I know it was for you but I bet you are in the minority. I think most people don't have the time for or know about all those things.
    It is still basic phone functions for most people: phone call, email, messaging, the occasional video and music.

Probably wether their bank has an app is important to some people but its getting to be a mute point as more and more have mobile versions of their website. And I believe that considering that these are the things that people do the most they would be very happy with a webOS phone. If you could get them to try it
    ok, just the way it was phrased was very absolute. I don't know if i'm in the minority. I haven't been polling people. I just think it's was for me. But i get where you're coming from.

as for not having time well maybe. i don't use them all every single day. But i use lots during a week. But i saw a poll on an iphone user site and i was stunned at how many people had over 100 apps installed on their phone. it was a decent number like maybe 25%. But more then half had over 50 apps installed. Regardless i tried it out and my friend tried it out (he had tried two palm phones) and we were not more then happy. But i still disagree with this idea that a webapp is a perfect substitute for a dedicated app in most cases. Some yes but not most.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakko View Post
    I think it has more to do with the poor hardware and the slow and buggy software than anything else. Then the apps are almost all web apps that are severely lacking. The former palm employees said it best. When people realized how slow it was they returned the device and this is due to the web kit choice.
    Strongly disagree. Not enough people bought a pre to know if it was slow or not and cause webOS to fail.
    That's still only 16 out of what 45 or so apps i listed and the tones of unknown apps that just pop up like the espn march madness bracket app. But what you've given are mostly just a bunch of excuses or alternatives and flawed information. For example, My xbox live is on my iphone. App Store - My Xbox LIVE And guess what the fact that something is only on one platform only shows the lack of app support for webos. Its doesn't justify not having it but i also said 95% of them i want a specific app not an alternative. In the cases it does justify it like Garageband, and apple only app, that's part of the 5% where i'd take a reasonable alternative. Is there one on webos that does the same stuff? I haven't seen it. So your response that it's only on ios doesn't solve the issue of that same service of amp emulation and multitrack recording, editing, mixing etc. not being on webos. Nor it persuade men when you consider the myriad of other apps that are only on one platform like Amplitube or some Akai stuff and countless others.

But you keep saying stuff is only available for this phone or that and your just wrong. I have skydrive on my iphone. App Store - SkyDrive

As i said in most cases i don't care about hacks, workarounds or alternatives, they are inadequate for a myriad of reasons in many cases. I'm not talking about a random "barcode scanner" i want Redlaser.

What you given is nothing more then a list of excuses or alternative criticisms of the actual app. It amounts to they aren't there. There is simply no disputing that these are apps i want that are on another platform that i can't get on webos. period.

Sorry Starbucks is listed twice. I like starbucks too and It's still not on webos. Even where there is an app on webos liek the subsonic, it cost money. My subsonic app was free! You criticize the mint.com app as incomprehensible. It's still NOT on the platform. Yeah the brand of Garmin matters. I have it in one of my cars. I have unlimited maps. "Youtube prefer?" So what. I don't care what youtube prefers. And they have an app for android phones. my iphone has an youtube app that interfaces with my account. Again, either way there's no app that interfaces with my account. Your reasoning of just use the website doesn't help me. I don't want to have to re-log in every single time. Skype? Doesn't come with my Pre. So maybe on the touchpad but not on my pre. plus the OP was about a complaint about lack of apps and why people bailed on webos. Well that took place over the life of webos. I bailed before the pre 3 and veer and tp debacle and pre 3 wasn't even released in the U.S. so it wasn't in my old pre OS. So i think that's still relevant as people turned from webos and many times during it's existence. But on the point of video chat Tango isn't there though and my sister and mother both use Tango only not Skype.

What you have is by and large simply a bunch of excuses. The OP asks for the apps that we couldn't do with out. I listed tons. No matter what your response, with very few exceptions, none of it amounts to "no this is actually on webos." But as i said i haven't looked at the catalog in a long time as there's no way to do it online or without a device. But as i wrote before, i'm not interested in a workaround, a hack, or an alternative in most cases. i'm looking for a specific app. Sure there every platform won't have everything, and on some i can compromise cause i don't care. twitter for example. any will do. For others i need the specific app. For others there is no compromise

I'm not saying it's wrong if someone is satisfied with the catalog. That's their own personal choice. good for them but for me i needed more and was unwilling to wait. As for my device. I have an iphone 4S. Everyone of those apps is available on and currently loaded on my device. See i'm not talking about what i "like to carry." This is what i actually do carry.
    What is your purpose surfing webosnation again?
    You've been spurned by webos and palm once too many times it seems. But uve moved on to greater app-ier pastures as have many others on webosnation..what brings you back here though venting your frustrations about webos over and over again?
    While I understand your point I strongly disagree. Have you ever experienced encryption issues with the TP's browser? Take a look at the user experience I get from my bank, TCF Bank. Click on Online Banking in the left column and you'll find that you can't even login. So I'm not sure your thought really applies to financial sites or ones with high encryption. (I do realize you said phone but I assume it's the same.)

But the point of a mobile app, rather than using the site, is simplicity. My Chase Bank and Citibank apps for my Android phone are soooo much faster when making payments, checking statements, etc. than using the site. That's why those apps exist. They want to make sure they get your money. ;-)

Another good example of an app vs its original web site counterpart is the Walgreen's app (iOS or Android). It sure is nice to be able to quickly order a refill by a few clicks in the app, vs having to navigate all the pages of the web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Why would you assume Angry Birds Space would not be on webOS?

What part of Angry Birds would lead you to believe that it would not be on webOS?

Is it that there are no other Angry Birds games on webOS? It cannot be this, because as of today, every single Angry Birds game is currently available on every webOS device.
    While that may be true now, if you were an avid Angry Birds fan you would be disappointed with the Seasons HD version on webOS. It is missing many updated seasons. It hasn't been updated since September, and based on that, I believe we won't see anything else from Rovio for the Angry Birds installment. I would like to be wrong. Please make me wrong Rovio, ;-)
    How I learned to stop worrying and love webOS was by focusing on functionality, rather than apps. Also, webOS has a working xserver. Not even Android has that. I was able to meet all the functionality, eventually. I had to get creative and there are some rough edges, but everything, and I mean everything, eventually worked.

Side note: banking apps were found to be really insecure

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/04/132657...But-Is-It-Safe
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    What is your purpose surfing webosnation again?
    You've been spurned by webos and palm once too many times it seems. But uve moved on to greater app-ier pastures as have many others on webosnation..what brings you back here though venting your frustrations about webos over and over again?
    I still have an interest in the platform and what happens to it in the future. It's a free country and an open forum that promotes open discussion. If you don't like it. I honestly don't give a rat's-azz what you think. Don't like my discussion? You leave. Don't like friendly discussion? Leave. Want a bunch of yes men and people to blow smoke up your backside and tell you only things that support your views. Sorry, like NWA said, "I'm ain't the 1." Sorry to burst your bubble. I'm a realist. I call it like i see it. But you, you've contributed nothing of substance to this thread. You simply made a single post to make personal attack on my right to be here. As if you somehow are more deserving cause you drink the Kool-Aid without questioning where it came from. My post on the other hand was not "venting" it was an opinion relevant to the original post, which by the way actually asks for people opinions. My post gave my own personal opinion and nothing more. And my post attempted to make two initial points relevant to the original post, one, that the downfall of webos was not just about not enough apps but a bunch of things, and second, that there are apps that i feel are indispensable that are were not on webos. All relevant to the original post. Unlike your post which was nothing more then an attack on my right to state my opinion. Maybe rather than attacking my right to post my opinion you post something relevant to the topic. Don't like my posts? Post a contrary opinion and have an adult discussion. Eblade did. Laingman did. There is a way to be civil. Or just don't read the my posts. Or simply don't respond since it's not like I was talking to you.
    Here's my two cents.

Apps are a huge part of why people are CURRENTLY buying into the apple and android ecosystems, and why windows phone has been slower to grow, and why rim is sputtering, and why webOS as we currently know it is all but dead. Think about it, when someone comes to you for advice about getting a smartphone for the first time, or for switching from their old treos, windows mobile, symbian, or blackberry...apps are a huge part of the discussion. Its only the smartphone geeks like most of us here that tinker with homebrew, rooting, jailbreaking, and with using less popular phones\tablets based on windows phone and webOS, etc.

But to think apps are the only reason for a platform's success is faulty. The iphone, pre, windows phone devices, and original android devices all came out with a sparse app ecosystem...yet only the iphone was a smash success. Rather it was because of the company name "apple" that got it kickstarted and contributes big to its ongoing success.

Hardware quality, company reputation, hardware specs have played a huge role. And don't forget OS basic features and stability and carrier support. These were and currently are just as big factors as developer support and number of apps to a platforms success.

to make the point standout even more, let's say all companies had the same number and quality of apps. You want to buy a smartphone and your choices are the iphone 4S, galaxy nexus, pre3, htc titan, and blackberry 99xx...all of these devices are otherwise the same as currently made with camera specs, ecosystems, price, carriers, etc. I still think the market would be the same as it is.

Therefore windows, and webos, and blackberry have to do more than just focus on apps
    I still have an interest in the platform and what happens to it in the future. It's a free country and an open forum that promotes open discussion. If you don't like it. I honestly don't give a rat's-azz what you think. Don't like my discussion? You leave. Don't like friendly discussion? Leave. Want a bunch of yes men and people to blow smoke up your backside and tell you only things that support your views. Sorry, like NWA said, "I'm ain't the 1." Sorry to burst your bubble. I'm a realist. I call it like i see it. But you, you've contributed nothing of substance to this thread. You simply made a single post to make personal attack on my right to be here. As if you somehow are more deserving cause you drink the Kool-Aid without questioning where it came from. My post on the other hand was not "venting" it was an opinion relevant to the original post, which by the way actually asks for people opinions. My post gave my own personal opinion and nothing more. And my post attempted to make two initial points relevant to the original post, one, that the downfall of webos was not just about not enough apps but a bunch of things, and second, that there are apps that i feel are indispensable that are were not on webos. All relevant to the original post. Unlike your post which was nothing more then an attack on my right to state my opinion. Maybe rather than attacking my right to post my opinion you post something relevant to the topic. Don't like my posts? Post a contrary opinion and have an adult discussion. Eblade did. Laingman did. There is a way to be civil. Or just don't read the my posts. Or simply don't respond since it's not like I was talking to you.
    Its not just this thread. Its a trend with all of your posts on every thread I go to. Webos stinks/failed/has no chance/people are unrealistic for various software/harsware initiatives they suggest/palm and hp screwed up...yadda yadda. I use android and ios as my daily drivers now for many of the same reasons you do and I agree with virtually everything you post. But it gets a little tiring to read all the negative opinions that you consistently post. What's the point? How does it make webOS any better? How does it raise the morale of people that have already been bruised and battered by the incompetencies of the companies that have owned webos? The only strongpoint of webOS now is the community. No point dragging it in the mud.
    I honestly don't give a rat's-azz what you think. Don't like my discussion? You leave. Don't like friendly discussion? Leave.
    Erm... Have you actually thought about what might people think after reading that statement from you? There's a chance that you are very right to say that, but I guess I'd have to wade through the whole thread, only to see I have a lot of better things to do.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Apps matter, but it is really about getting useful things done - easily. The average Joe does not want to be bothered looking for a workaround. webOS has a chance to get there and even carve out a niche in the cell phone market.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Apps matter more on a tablet than a phone.

None of the iphone users I know are interested in the things snootboogie is talking about. They are just ordinary people who have a smartphone.

On a tablet now one might want the netflix, etc and its bad not to have it
    Apps matter more on a tablet than a phone.
    There are plenty of apps that are pretty pointless on a tablet but gold dust on a phone. Things like bus trackers for your local city, or apps that tell you where the bicycles are available for a city cycle scheme like the one in London, or live update rail timetables, or restaurant, ATM, shop, bar search apps linked to maps and GPS with layered reality overlays.

Or live social network location trackers, or camera apps, or point and learn astronomy apps, or ...

You get the idea. There are loads of apps that become useful when you're out and about with your phone in your pocket.

Spyke
    rmeigs, DeadVim and Vistaus like this.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Well, here's the site for Angry Birds: Seasons on Rovio's own site. They took down the webOS download link: Angry Birds: Seasons - Rovio Entertainment Ltd

Same thing for Rio it looks like: Angry Birds: Rio - Rovio Entertainment Ltd

And even the original Angry Birds, now that I checked.

...so I'm pretty sure we've seen the end of Rovio's webOS support.
    I just bought Seasons and Rio yesterday, they're lacking compared to with other platforms. Thankfully, though, they're still there and haven't been yanked off the store yet. I'm just sick and tired of devs abandoning us, it's a rare occurrence that an app of mine is updated, unless it's homebrew (you can't beat the excellence and helpfulness of the webOS homebrew commnuity!), and there aren't too many nwe apps coming to the catolog. I'm still stuck with that freaky sports photo from November when I open the catolog.

Hopefully we can get more devs on board, though, and regain the trust from those who left. webOS is such a great platform, and while lots of my favorite apps are there (Asphalt, an NES emulator, OpenTTD, forums, USA Today, Commnuities, etc.), it would be nice to get some newer, more mainstream apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Its not just this thread. Its a trend with all of your posts on every thread I go to. Webos stinks/failed/has no chance/people are unrealistic for various software/harsware initiatives they suggest/palm and hp screwed up...yadda yadda. I use android and ios as my daily drivers now for many of the same reasons you do and I agree with virtually everything you post. But it gets a little tiring to read all the negative opinions that you consistently post. What's the point? How does it make webOS any better? How does it raise the morale of people that have already been bruised and battered by the incompetencies of the companies that have owned webos? The only strongpoint of webOS now is the community. No point dragging it in the mud.
    You've fabricated stuff. I've never said webos stinks. But webos isn't perfect. It did have issues. Truth is it did fail though. Truth is some people are unrealistic. I'm not trying to raise your morale. you're looking for an ego stroke; something to make you feel better. I'm not needy. i'm a realist. i'm going to address the questions or issues as they are in reality. I'm not going to lie just to make myself feel good, to boost morale of the emotionally needy. If a plan is poorly thought out I'll say so. If a statement is correct i'll agree. If a statement is false i'll say so. I'm just not gonna bury my head in the sand and just hope people say nice things to make me feel good like you want. I'd rather address the issues head on and not pretend they didn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    There are plenty of apps that are pretty pointless on a tablet but gold dust on a phone. Things like bus trackers for your local city, or apps that tell you where the bicycles are available for a city cycle scheme like the one in London, or live update rail timetables, or restaurant, ATM, shop, bar search apps linked to maps and GPS with layered reality overlays.

Or live social network location trackers, or camera apps, or point and learn astronomy apps, or ...

You get the idea. There are loads of apps that become useful when you're out and about with your phone in your pocket.

Spyke
    A phone is a phone, but a tablet is trying to replace a pc or laptop. So when it cant do these things that a pc does it's a problem so I say apps on tablet more important.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast