webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Zinio - Has the app on the TP improved?
Zinio - Has the app on the TP improved?

Old 02/23/2012, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Folks, I trust your opinion here and need some feedback on the Zinio magazine app on the TP - has it improved since original release in Nov/2011? I want to buy a sub to Popular Science but I don't want a million individual PDF page files mixing with my proper PDF files. Is this still an issue? Has the app experience improved? Are things downloading right? Rendering right? Lots of questions but I don't want to waste my money and time on this if it hasn't improved since the problems that appeared since it's inception.

Thanks for your input!
chaosdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2012, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

No, the Zinio app hasn't improved. Yes, the appearance of hundreds of page.pdf files is still an issue. Fortunately there is an easy solution: install the pdf reader patch that you'll find here: [PATCH/IPK]Adobe PDF Reader Enhancements. Among the many other vital improvements that the patch makes to the pdf reader, it hides Zinio files.

I've been using Zinio for some magazine subscriptions I got for free, and I think it's ok. No downloading problems or rendering errors.

Now if Zinio could just speed up the rendering and allow zoom in portrait mode. Oh, and don't skip ahead 2 pages at a time if zoomed in landscape mode.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: chaosdivine
Old 02/24/2012, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Zinio app certainly needs a few updates. Zinio ought to address at least some very basic functionality. Unfortunately, it seems highly unlikely that they will release an update.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: chaosdivine
Old 02/24/2012, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would be happy with any means to download my free subscriptions for reading on flights. Is this a Preware app or HP app? I don't see anything TP on Zinio's site? Thank you!
ratchet27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I would be happy with any means to download my free subscriptions for reading on flights. Is this a Preware app or HP app? I don't see anything TP on Zinio's site? Thank you!
It's in the catalog: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...cationid=10944
stbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
Thank you STBXXL! Downloaded Feb and Mar issues of Field and Stream and Outdoor Life and the app seems reasonable enough.
ratchet27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hold it, better put a freeze on buying any magazines from Zinio to read on the TouchPad for the moment. I've just found out that the reason I couldn't download Car & Driver last month is that Zinio is no longer offering it for their WebOS app! It was ok up until January, but now it has disappeared from my library and the Zinio store when viewed from the Zinio TouchPad app, but still available when viewed from PC browser. When I check on the PC it shows that WebOS is now missing from their list of supported clients for Car & Driver. So far no problem with my other subscriptions. I've asked Zinio if it is a new policy to drop support for WebOS, or this is some sort of unique issue with Car & Driver.
Old 02/27/2012, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
Hold it, better put a freeze on buying any magazines from Zinio to read on the TouchPad for the moment. I've just found out that the reason I couldn't download Car & Driver last month is that Zinio is no longer offering it for their WebOS app! It was ok up until January, but now it has disappeared from my library and the Zinio store when viewed from the Zinio TouchPad app, but still available when viewed from PC browser. When I check on the PC it shows that WebOS is now missing from their list of supported clients for Car & Driver. So far no problem with my other subscriptions. I've asked Zinio if it is a new policy to drop support for WebOS, or this is some sort of unique issue with Car & Driver.
I just got my March issue of Motor Trend and my April issue of Mens Health late last week. Thursday I think. Could it be magazine specific? The app is working fine for those issues.
gaitch32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

anything interactive won't work. Including ngi.
Rabbi-emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
I just got my March issue of Motor Trend and my April issue of Mens Health late last week. Thursday I think. Could it be magazine specific? The app is working fine for those issues.
Yes, it is magazine-specific. Click on any specific magazine in the Zinio store, and on the description page you'll see next to the magazine cover a set of icons showing which operating systems the magazine is available for. One of the icons is for WebOS. Many magazines still show WebOS support, but the WebOS icon is now gone for Car & Driver, and indeed it is not listed at all in the Zinio WebOS app any more, not even shown in the Store under Automotive. But Automobile is still available, for example. I'm waiting to hear an explanation from Zinio.

Why would operating system matter when these are really just pdf files? Good question! I can't think of any technical reason, so I am guessing that it's a licensing issue rather than a technical one. Probably the publishing group that publishes Car and Driver is no longer paying for WebOS support, or is no longer allowing WebOS to be a client for some reason.
Old 02/28/2012, 03:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
Yes, it is magazine-specific. Click on any specific magazine in the Zinio store, and on the description page you'll see next to the magazine cover a set of icons showing which operating systems the magazine is available for. One of the icons is for WebOS. Many magazines still show WebOS support, but the WebOS icon is now gone for Car & Driver, and indeed it is not listed at all in the Zinio WebOS app any more, not even shown in the Store under Automotive. But Automobile is still available, for example. I'm waiting to hear an explanation from Zinio.

Why would operating system matter when these are really just pdf files? Good question! I can't think of any technical reason, so I am guessing that it's a licensing issue rather than a technical one. Probably the publishing group that publishes Car and Driver is no longer paying for WebOS support, or is no longer allowing WebOS to be a client for some reason.
Ya, I didn't quite read what you were saying before. And I think that your observation about licensing might be right. I checked a few of the other magazines published by Hearst and they say that webOS is still supported. Although it will be interesting to see if they start to drop off as contracts start to expire.
gaitch32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2012, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Here's the response from Zinio:

"Our interactive titles are not compatible with our Zinio Reader App for WebOS at this time. We appreciate your patience while our Interactive Services team works to make interactive titles available to you with our new Reader for WebOS device.

Car & Driver was mistakenly set as available for WebOS when it should not have been. It has since been disabled. "

I have no idea what "interactive" means in this context, but Car & Driver was working fine up until January, so it sounds to me like somebody at Zinio is being over-aggressive in pulling the WebOS availability.

In any case, I'm not holding my breath waiting for a new WebOS app from Zinio.
Old 03/02/2012, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

The dynamic/interactive magazines (fancier menus and navigation) are not available in the webOS version of Zinio. This has been the case from the beginning. I ran into the same problem with Car & Driver. It's not clear to me:
1. If more magazines are shifting to this format (my guess is that it's probable) and
2. If Zinio intends to update the webOS app to support this format (Good to hear Zinio is working on an update - had been getting somewhat more discouraged on this point)

In a related note, it doesn't seem like the Kindle reader is getting much attention. If either app is not in active development, it really hurts the prospects for webOS as a tablet going forward as content inevitably shifts to newer formats/features that the webOS versions of these apps can't support.
Scotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2012, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Unfortunately more and more magazines are going "interactive" on Zinio and therefore disappearing from the Zinio app on WebOS. No sign of Zinio releasing an update for WebOS, and they don't seem to want to let us just read our magazines without the interactive links. Oh well, back to alternatives for the moment I guess...
Old 04/13/2012, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Is anyone else running into issue with Zinio magazine downloads? New issues arrive, but when I tap to download, all I get are the blank pages along the bottom of the screen with 1 2 1 2 1 2 etc. with a progression of 3 dots in each of the blank page thumbnails. Eventually, after about 3 days one of my mags finally did download but I don't know why. The magazines do download fine on my nook color running Android and the Zinio app.

I've even tried deleting the folders in the file system with gemini file manager hoping that would force a download, but no luck.

This is getting rather frustrating. Any thoughts as to other things to try?

-lunchman
lunchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 09:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

I had the same issue, removed and reinstalled the app, no change. I emailed zinio for support, they said their engineers were working on it. The next day it worked. Support told me since the TouchPad was a discontinued device it was not going to be updated to work with interactive content.
broncot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 09:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I had the same issue, removed and reinstalled the app, no change. I emailed zinio for support, they said their engineers were working on it. The next day it worked. Support told me since the TouchPad was a discontinued device it was not going to be updated to work with interactive content.
Thanks. At least it's not something I'm doing or due to some Preware patch I've installed. At least I can still read these mags on the nook. I'll email their support org and see if I can get a response.
lunchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2012, 10:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Frankly it seems silly to me for Zinio not to invest a very minimal amount of effort in updating their TouchPad app. We aren't TouchPad customers, we're Zinio customers. This is a market where Zinio is fighting to convince people that buying magazine subscriptions in digital format is the way to go, regardless of their viewing platform. You write us off on the TouchPad, and you've convinced us of the opposite, that Zinio is flaky and it's not reliable to invest in digital magazine subscriptions.

Not to mention that the magazines are still perfectly readable without support for the trivial "interactive" links, and that we didn't notice any problems until Zinio pulled them. Just flick a bit and turn them back on!
Old 05/16/2012, 02:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

I find Zinio pretty much useless as i can't even read downloaded magazines without a wifi connection? Whats the point of downloading something locally if I can't read it unless Im online? Pointless

Unless someone can point out something that I am doing wrong (entirely likely)
Old 05/16/2012, 04:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
I find Zinio pretty much useless as i can't even read downloaded magazines without a wifi connection? Whats the point of downloading something locally if I can't read it unless Im online? Pointless

Unless someone can point out something that I am doing wrong (entirely likely)
Just ignore the "offline" message that appears and touch the Read tab at the bottom to see and read your previously-downloaded magazines.
Thanked By: steven_farkas

Tags
app, magazine, zinio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0