webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > OpenMobile update!!!
OpenMobile update!!!
Like Tree279Likes

Old 02/22/2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Recently I learned about OpenMobile and their plans to put all Android applications on the HP Touchpad - Ofcourse there was a problem with this.. HP would have to buy in............so...

However, I recently received a few Emails from OpenMoble (Most likely because I contacted them once before about adding their Apps to the touchpad) But anyway, Below are the Emails sent to me:

My name is Anita and I am the Marketing Coordinator for OpenMobile. You were kind enough to contact us (via tweets, email, and blog posts) regarding creating a downloadable version of our ACL software for webOS. As you might remember, our ACL software makes all of the Android Apps run on non-Android devices (ie, the TouchPad, etc.).
We are hoping to poll a few webOS consumers regarding this topic. Would you be kind enough to accept a call from OpenMobile's CEO, Bob Angelo? If so, we promise not to take but a few minutes of your time. Please reply with your phone number and we will give you a buzz. We promise not to release this number to anyone for any reason, we simply want to speak to a few consumers to gauge interest in this ACL downloadable product for webOS.
We hope to hear back. Thank you so much!

(I responded - Yes.. Number is ---- and Also pointed them to the direction of the Android Apps for WebOS Petition)

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for responding to my email so quickly and providing me with your phone number! I truly appreciate you taking the time to consider receiving a call from Bob Angelo, OpenMobile's CEO.
To share a bit of background, we are currently considering offering a downloadable version of our Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) technology for webOS consumers. We look forward to gaining direct feedback and insight from webOS users regarding their current device, the App experience, wishes, price points, etc. Mr. Angelo is making a handful of calls this week to hands-on users, and again, we wanted to thank you for being kind enough to share your number for this purpose in the event he is able to reach out to you.
Thank you for helping us!

*If you are interested in reading what lead up to this you can find a much older Forum post here*
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...lying-meg.html
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kill_Dano, PUNK, Rnp and 8 others like this.
Old 02/22/2012, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pay attention to this line:

"""""To share a bit of background, we are currently considering offering a downloadable version of our Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) technology for webOS consumers.""""

Just thoght that was interesting
Liked by kill_Dano likes this.
Old 02/22/2012, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yay! Send them to these forums and we'll all give them feedback!
Old 02/22/2012, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes!! This would be really great! I hope you'll keep us posted
Gisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisk View Post
Yes!! This would be really great! I hope you'll keep us posted
Will Do! I'm sure the questions will probably be like, what are you willing to pay for this? Would you be willing to use this as a subsciption base - per month app? sorta stuff..

I think if they price it anything over 10 bucks they are asking to much.. But I would pay 10 dollars to have my touchpad have all the Android apps on it.. 110 bucks for a touchpad to do everything? can't beat it.
Old 02/22/2012, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
Will Do! I'm sure the questions will probably be like, what are you willing to pay for this? Would you be willing to use this as a subsciption base - per month app? sorta stuff..

I think if they price it anything over 10 bucks they are asking to much.. But I would pay 10 dollars to have my touchpad have all the Android apps on it.. 110 bucks for a touchpad to do everything? can't beat it.
Same for my Veer 4G. I normally use a HTC Desire, but I also have the Veer, which IMHO would be the perfect phone if it had whatsapp. Everybody I know uses it, so I'm kind of isolated when I need a small phone in my pocket and I take the Veer.
Gisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Will Do! I'm sure the questions will probably be like, what are you willing to pay for this? Would you be willing to use this as a subscription base - per month app? sorta stuff..

Yes thanks for the info and I'd love too help. Please send them here or to the original forum poll running Android apps on webOS referenced previous.

When it comes to price....$10 is a no brainer and especially for people like me who are already dual booting webOS and CM9 and investing on the other side with Android. Having direct access to Android Market would also be great since 50% of my apps purchases are through google, but Amazon will do for now and any support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sorli....
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2012, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Sent you a Private Message regarding this...
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'd pay more than $10. That's cheap. Here's to hoping!

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
kryptonite_2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'd pay $20-$30 for this ability. I'd imagine the Dev would have to make it a bit pricy, but it would be WELL worth it.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

for the ability to not bother loading up androids os and have the best of both worlds in webOS, id pay pretty much whatever they asked for regardless.

otherwise its like a man in the desert dying of dehydration trying to haggle down a passing man whos loaded with water and doesnt really need your cash anyways.

u want fifty quid or more? tough call, hm yeah sure take it, the only thing id want more info on is how it deals with all that garbage deliberate malware type crap most android apps have stuffed in, i wouldnt mind their app having the ability to globally/manually block certain permissions the apps want....
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Old 02/24/2012, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

$20 from me. It if webOS doesn't have the Api's for some of the apps they won't work like voice control apps. Or am I wrong.?
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'd pay AppPrice + $1 per paid app. Free apps for free....

What I hope for some day is that the Enyo Devs figure out a way to let us pay for the apps 1 time only regardless of Platform.
In the mean time, WebOS versions could be free and they can charge for the Andriod, iOS and WP versions...

<ducking for cover>
AMR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

just what I need 10,000 apps to sort through to find the good ones what a nightmare that's sounds like !!!
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: don_falcone
Old 02/24/2012, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Webos needs more spam apps.. All the cool kids are doing it
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by p41m3r likes this.
Old 02/24/2012, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Sadly I haven't heard from them yet.. Come monday i'll write them back to see where they are at.

Is it possible that HP could end up rejecting it?
Old 02/24/2012, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
just what I need 10,000 apps to sort through to find the good ones what a nightmare that's sounds like !!!
not liek the apps end up integrated into the hp store, they would be seperate, when u want good stuff use 1 store, when u want potential crap, use the other method.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 06:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Oh, wow!! Yes, I would totally pay for this capability - I would easily fork out $20-$30 USD if it worked well and opened access to at least a full app catalog like's Amazon's (even better if it was Google App Market).

I love webOS but its Achilles heel has always been the lack of apps. If we had a combination of the two, it would be the best of both worlds.
Scotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 06:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Sadly I haven't heard from them yet.. Come monday i'll write them back to see where they are at.

Is it possible that HP could end up rejecting it?
Two possible things, if it violates app catalog rules (not fully up on them all so I don't know off the top of my head).

The more likely is the app needs services and api's not publicly available for app catalog apps.

Now for the second item, the app could be developed with whatever API's and services and side loaded. This shrinks you market, hurts ability to push updates, and makes piracy easier.

With all of the above, this could become moot with the open sourcing of webOS. It's a tough one, because the revenue generator for HP is the app store since there are no new devices. At this point there are endless possibilities of how HP would look at all this.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 09:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
It's a tough one, because the revenue generator for HP is the app store since there are no new devices. At this point there are endless possibilities of how HP would look at all this.
If HP thinks this all the way through, this could actually be to their great benefit.

According to the info put out by OpenMobile, Android app developers do not need to repackage their apps in any way for them to work with the ACL system. So, HP could actually update their App Catalog to allow Android apps to be sold and downloaded via the HP Catalog, and enter into a revenue sharing agreement with OpenMobile.

Android developers could then submit their apps directly to HP for inclusion in the HP App Catalog. Then when an Android App is sold, HP gets their cut, OpenMobile gets their cut, we get the apps we need, and everyone's happy. For the majority of Android app developers this would be a no brainer, as they don't need to change anything. The exact same app that they are submitting to the Google Market and Amazon App Store is what they would be submitting to HP - all they have to do is fill out another submission form, and they get instant access not only to a million new customers, but a million new customers who have been starving for apps and might just be ready to go on a shopping spree.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android apps, openmobile, touchpad apps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0