Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    True, but it has been a long time since we heard something official from them. It could be that they decided Tizen was a bigger priority at the moment and so diverted resources to that.
    I wouldn't guess that tizen was a bigger priority... maybe that was just the most recent stable release. Since they are trying to get out versions for windows, linux, and mac as well as other mobile platforms I couldn't imagine they purposely focused on Tizen unless it is because it runs on a linux kernel like webOS OS will.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    *Edit: Open webOS gets released in September. There really isn't very much point in even bothering to release it before that except for a beta test. I believe they still have a good 3 months before anyone should be worrying.
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    Actually, there's no point in even bothering to continue to develop it, then.
    Huh? Why couldn't/wouldn't they still develop it? What does Open Source webOS have to do with it? It's not like all current apps are going to be broken whenever it comes out, so I'm missing the point here.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Huh? Why couldn't/wouldn't they still develop it? What does Open Source webOS have to do with it? It's not like all current apps are going to be broken whenever it comes out, so I'm missing the point here.
    I believe toanedre was being sarcastic.

I was being serious, however, you guys are reading it the wrong way. Nothing is going to happen to webOS until September. Waiting for Open webOS to come out and making an announcement along side it actually makes sense. Just because you want android apps now doesn't mean its going to happen.

I'm not saying there is currently no point in developing the app compatibility layer for existing hardware, I'm saying its pointless to rush to release it in May or even June or July.
    Hi webOS Nation,

Anita from OpenMobile here…

I want to start off by thanking you all so very much for your continued support. I also want you to know that I read this forum daily and relay your encouraging posts to the OpenMobile team. Please be kind as we are working diligently on multiple platform development ports for ACL. Most recently we had our hands full with Samsung and Intel (How Exciting!) pushing hard for ACL on Tizen for the conference in San Francisco last week. Our engineers are head down with ACL ports, and we expect to have the webOS port in the market in Q3. On behalf of OpenMobile thank you… as always… for your patience and support. You have no idea how much we as a team appreciate the webOS followers. You guys rock!
    an actual reply with some positive facts, things dont look that bad now tbh, cheers for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
    Hi webOS Nation,

I want to start off by thanking you all so very much for your continued support. I also want you to know that I read this forum daily and relay your encouraging posts to the OpenMobile team. Please be kind as we are working diligently on multiple platform development ports for ACL. Most recently we had our hands full with Samsung and Intel (How Exciting!) pushing hard for ACL on Tizen for the conference in San Francisco last week. Our engineers are head down with ACL ports, and we expect to have the webOS port in the market in Q3. On behalf of OpenMobile thank you… as always… for your patience and support. You have no idea how much we as a team appreciate the webOS followers. You guys rock!
    Thanks for posting! Figured we'd see a post after all the twitter noise.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Sounds like everything for webOS will be waiting until Q3 2012 at least - to see how the Open webOS concept pans out when complete. From what I read in the OpenMobile post from Anita (my take anyways) is that Tizan will most likely have the ACL port before webOS....a shame. Timelines are nice and all, but feel like other OSes are moving at a faster pace to get out in the open and make the mobile market.

On the other hand, I have been looking at all the Tizan "stuff" and to me it does not seem taht great. I would pick Android ICS over it ...in fact it sort of mimics ICS to me in many ways. Guess webOS is the only OS nowadays that has a unique feel, seems as though everyone else is just making their OS like everyone elses. Hell even BB10 is going the "me too" direction. Its sad how most of the stellar ideas/technologies get killed and the mediocre ideas/technologies live on, sounds like a bunch of "kool-aid "me too"" drinkers.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now!

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    I believe they already have it, a few days ago......not most likely, as you state.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Sounds like everything for webOS will be waiting until Q3 2012 at least - to see how the Open webOS concept pans out when complete. From what I read in the OpenMobile post from Anita (my take anyways) is that Tizan will most likely have the ACL port before webOS....a shame. Timelines are nice and all, but feel like other OSes are moving at a faster pace to get out in the open and make the mobile market.
    I don't think at this date you would see any manufacturer announcing product launch sooner than Q3 for ANYTHING that hasn't already been announced. Q2 is half over, only 6ish weeks til Q3 is officially here. webOS OS if released on schedule (no reason to think it won't be) will barely beat Q4.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Well what do you know. Expect Open Mobile's ACL in quarter 3, around the Open webOS launch...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Who knows, (cue the speculation posts), maybe it was at HP's request to wait until webOS became open source. At least there's a "date", albeit a 3 month window, instead of in the coming months....
    I just hope there's a phone version

Its always nice to see an official post, thanks for dropping in Anita!
    AnitaOM likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I understand the reasoning behind it being released in Q3 synced with Open webOS. However, that means that it will be dead on arrival, just as Open webOS will. By that time the few webOS devices still operational are totally outdated and I don't expect any new Open webOS devices soon, if ever...

I hoped I could pick up my Pre3 again to replace my current Samsung Galaxy S2 which is starting to act up (and because Android is inferior to webOS except for the Android (local) apps I simply require). Given this time schedule I'll have to buy a new phone and probably won't even bother to pick up the by then ancient Pre3 again in September.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I understand the reasoning behind it being released in Q3 synced with Open webOS. However, that means that it will be dead on arrival, just as Open webOS will. By that time the few webOS devices still operational are totally outdated and I don't expect any new Open webOS devices soon, if ever...

I hoped I could pick up my Pre3 again to replace my current Samsung Galaxy S2 which is starting to act up (and because Android is inferior to webOS except for the Android (local) apps I simply require). Given this time schedule I'll have to buy a new phone and probably won't even bother to pick up the by then ancient Pre3 again in September.
    Wrong on all points.

Most current webOS users are not going anywhere at the moment - they are holding on until the end of the year to see whether Open webOS will breathe new life into the platform. Also, the majority of currently running webOS devices will still be running just fine thank you -I don't know we're you're getting the idea that there will only be a "few webOS devices still operational"! Yes some people are having devices go wonky on them, but the majority are not - not even close to that!

Lastly, the new devices coming out do not make the current devices outdated as quickly as you make it seem. This is simply because most consumers are not able to rush out and get the latest and greatest as soon as they hit the market, because they are limited by their finances and by the device upgrade terms of their phone contracts. Developers are also aware of this, and are not going to be putting out much software that can only run on the latest high performance handsets and tablets. Current devices have at least until early next year, and maybe even a bit longer before they become outdated, thank you very much!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
    Hi webOS Nation,

Thank you. Many (most) of us eagerly await your webOS port.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Tizen looks really bad. I'd never give it a try. I'd prefer going to Android than that.
    BB10 looks very promising. Meego is equally dead to webOS. I don't know if the Gecko thing will be worth it.

I honestly try to keep my Pre2 away from harm in order to postpone any decision for getting something else.
    Although I don't have any faith in open webOS and I know that sooner or later (probably end of this year or early 2013) I'll have to move to another OS. Which sucks, as I love webOS.
    <deleted quote by staff>

My fault for being a bit careless with my wording and not being clear enough. Allow me to rephrase to make what I was attempting to say more clear:

Most current webOS users are not going anywhere at the moment - they are holding on until the end of the year to see whether Open webOS will breathe new life into the platform OR they are limited by their finances and by the device upgrade terms of their phone contracts OR they are waiting till their devices go wonky or die OR they are waiting until early next year, and maybe even a bit longer before they become outdated.

EDIT
    Bottom line is people are still using their devices, and will still be for many months to come. Open webOS and ACL will still find a lot of users willing to take them for a spin, and if they are done well there is a chance of the platform reviving. It is not already over the way Spud101 is making it seem
    Last edited by sledge007; 05/18/2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    How HP markets the upcoming open webOS will be very interesting.

If...they plan some kind of media blitz, touting an OS that can truly and elegantly multi-task, runs most, if not all Android apps, and will, most importantly, offer OEM's a worry free patent environment...you might see one of the major OEM manufacturers take a chance. I'm guessing HTC, but perhaps Samsung if they want a hedge against Google/Motorola.

One thing is for certain. They have to have ACL and the ability to run the Android ecosystem, or the market will declare open webOS DOA. That's what really killed it the first time around. The ability to offer webOS' tablet apps, the Android marketplace, AND a superior operating system is really the only chance HP will ever have to make lemonade out of the Leo disaster. Customers like choice, and there are plenty of Android users fed up with the laggy interface who might be willing to jump...if they can keep their apps. Same with iOS, although I would expect that most users would switch from Android if they're going to.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    <quote deleted by staff>]

What does Android have to market? open webOS is trying to get where Android is. Or why even bother? Getting there will still require getting its name back out there, even if it's in a "the software on the Touchpad was Windows Vista, but this version is Windows 7" kind of way.

There is a bit of an opening, right when they plan to launch...before Windows 8 hits the market, and with all of the growing pains Android is experiencing (fragmentation, patent troubles, etc.). If they can pick up a major OEM or two, they're back in the game.
    Last edited by sledge007; 05/18/2012 at 01:31 PM.
    <quote deleted by staff>]

You joined last month. Just like you, there will be others.
    Last edited by sledge007; 05/18/2012 at 01:31 PM.
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast