Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    I knew it was vodka, but Im not one to call someone out on their name.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Dream-on
    What would human kind be without dreams? ^^
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Dream-on
    Love-in-an-elevator
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Love-in-an-elevator
    Janie's Got A Gun
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    Janie's Got A Gun
    Toys, toys, toys, in the attic
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by volka View Post
    If I'd be HP ...
    "If I'ld be HP???".

That's like saying: "If I'ld be a car, I would be going on love and thin air instead of fuel".

Funny, how people wanna be companies
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    This subject turned into a joke thread. Pity.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Problem is, that everyone waits for an update of OpenMobile, which is - it seems - not coming.
    So there are two options left: cry about it or laugh.

I like your sig, jcmarcos. I had most of those devices myself. C64, Amiga 2000, Palms ...
    sorli likes this.
  9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    This subject turned into a joke thread. Pity.
    it's quite ashame actually. I do plan on reaching out to OpenMobile again very soon here.. I don't know what is keeping them from pushing out their platform right now.

I can't understand why they would do all the reaching out that they did (months ago now) and just dissapear!

Hopefully when I email them, they give me something more than (In the near future)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    ... I don't know what is keeping them from pushing out their platform right now.

I can't understand why they would do all the reaching out that they did (months ago now) and just dissapear!

If I had to GUESS, I would say, that openWebOS puts a wrench into their plans. Because while WebOS is hardwarebound, for which OpenMobile would be a remedy, openWebOS is NOT.

But that's just a guess, nothing solid.
    They've released something for Tizen which I would guess would be easier as Tizen is based off of Android.

Looking at the kindle fire that I somehow managed to pick up at a firesale price (there aren't any more, too bad),
    both the box and the pogoplug app have permission to read contacts and neither of them need that information to work.
    I hope openWebOS keeps up security features and keeps up some kind of wall for contacts, otherwise I will have to turn to IOS as my main tablet.

edit: If we can get Cloudon to develop an app for webOS which will give MS office full functionality on the web, I really only need android for netflix and I can use the Fire for that.

I really hope cloudon listens, thread to vote is below:
    Please support webOS!!
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/14/2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    From the very beginning, this company seemed to promise more than they could possibly deliver. Just promising that "all apps" would work smells fishy to most people who have experience in software development. As is the pattern with people who promise more than they can possibly deliver - they disappeared. No big surprise.

The tendency of many people on this forum to take the ball and run with it doesn't help.
    Reports showing 400k apps on Tizen, haven't read any full articles yet. OpenMobile is tweeting more than I have ever seen before with the Tizen launch.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    They've released something for Tizen which I would guess would be easier as Tizen is based off of Android.

Looking at the kindle fire that I somehow managed to pick up at a firesale price (there aren't any more, too bad),
    both the box and the pogoplug app have permission to read contacts and neither of them need that information to work.
    I hope openWebOS keeps up security features and keeps up some kind of wall for contacts, otherwise I will have to turn to IOS as my main tablet.

edit: If we can get Cloudon to develop an app for webOS which will give MS office full functionality on the web, I really only need android for netflix and I can use the Fire for that.

I really hope cloudon listens, thread to vote is below:
    Please support webOS!!
    You know anything about Tizen? I haven't had much time to read anything yet today and had never heard of it previously.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You know anything about Tizen? I haven't had much time to read anything yet today and had never heard of it previously.
    Not much. Some custom derivation of Android. I've read a few reports of people saying the interface is a tad ugly.

I guess its Samsung's hedge against Google buying Motorola.

Wired interviewed Andreesen this week. As you know he started Netscape and is on the HP board. He says mobile web will triumph eventually but right now limited bandwidth is pushing people towards apps.

Read an article today that HP is giving Palm Pre 2s with webOS to malaria workers in Africa to quickly document disease spread. To my mind, this gives me renewed hope that HP is committed to webOS but that they think it will take longer to take off-ie it needs more bandwidth capacity to shine.

Thank God we have webos internals et al to help push it along.

In the meantime, I'm hoping people vote for that cloudon app for webOS so I know I can edit a MSFT doc in the cloud with full formatting by using a webOS device.(see my post a few posts above for thread to vote).
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    From the very beginning, this company seemed to promise more than they could possibly deliver. Just promising that "all apps" would work smells fishy to most people who have experience in software development. As is the pattern with people who promise more than they can possibly deliver - they disappeared. No big surprise.

The tendency of many people on this forum to take the ball and run with it doesn't help.
    That may be true, but... they have said they are working on it. If nothing's changed than whats the point in talking about it? You can't expect updates after every new line of code gets written.

Give them some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    That may be true, but... they have said they are working on it. If nothing's changed than whats the point in talking about it? You can't expect updates after every new line of code gets written.

Give them some time.
    True, but it has been a long time since we heard something official from them. It could be that they decided Tizen was a bigger priority at the moment and so diverted resources to that. If so, they should just let us know and give us an idea when we can expect to see the webOS version. A roadmap would be great, even if it showed we wouldn't get ACL for another several months. Nothing is worse than the uncertainty I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    True, but it has been a long time since we heard something official from them. It could be that they decided Tizen was a bigger priority at the moment and so diverted resources to that. If so, they should just let us know and give us an idea when we can expect to see the webOS version. A roadmap would be great, even if it showed we wouldn't get ACL for another several months. Nothing is worse than the uncertainty I think.
    You're new around here, aren't you? "in the coming months" ring a bell?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    As your company loses interest in a project or product line, it's usually preferable not to say anything. Why? Because it keeps your options open. More importantly, you avoid the backlash of blog posts, tweets, and emails that come from disgruntled customers that you set-off. It's better to let the interest gradually die out with a whimper along with the platform.
    That I think underscores my point. For us potential customers, nothing is worse than the uncertainty. We would be better off knowing when ACL is coming to webOS or that it is coming but later than we would have expected,or that it is not coming at all, as that allows us to evaluate our options and make decisions. Being in the limbo of not knowing is worse, and just leaves ppl to speculate about what OpenMobile is doing or not doing and what it means.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Not much. Some custom derivation of Android. I've read a few reports of people saying the interface is a tad ugly.
    Tizen is not based on Android. It uses the Linux kernel and has bits of MeeGo and I think Bada. There is no relation to Android as far as I can tell.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    As your company loses interest in a project or product line, it's usually preferable not to say anything. Why? Because it keeps your options open. More importantly, you avoid the backlash of blog posts, tweets, and emails that come from disgruntled customers that you set-off. It's better to let the interest gradually die out with a whimper along with the platform.

Look how Sprint discontinued their flagship webOS hardware initiative of 2009 - they technically never did. Surely, they made the decision to not adopt any new webOS hardware years ago - but the never made an announcement.

This company has seemingly lost interest in webOS for obvious reasons. No software company is interested in targeting a user base that is dwindling by the month. Their stock answer will probably eventually be that they are waiting for HP to decide what they are doing with webOS hardware. Just throw the ball back into HP's court.
    They verified involvement after everything happened with webOS, at least as late as March 23rd. Nothing has changed with webOS since except it is now even closer to an open source release and therefore closer to renewed public interest.

*Edit: Open webOS gets released in September. There really isn't very much point in even bothering to release it before that except for a beta test. I believe they still have a good 3 months before anyone should be worrying.
    Last edited by i2y4n; 05/15/2012 at 12:35 PM.
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast