Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by A Peter View Post
    Guys! Good evening!
    Could someone please ask the ACL development company if this software will work with HP Veer?
    Thanks a lot!
    Conceivably it's possible, but (1) they're focusing on the TouchPad and Open webOS first, and (2) I'm not an Android expert, but I can't imagine many apps are programmed to work on the 320x400 Veer screen (especially when you cut out even more vertical pixels for the Android bar).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Radmila View Post
    ...just dont install spy/garbageware and all will be fine.
    The funny thing is apps dont exactly advertise themselves as spyware ready for download/install. If people knew which apps contained spyware, we wouldn't be talking about a spyware problem today.

This was the same stance taken by Phil Nickinson (Android Central) a few podcasts ago, and its a bit irresponsible in that it moves some accountability away from the developers.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    ...this could potentially doom what webOS devs we still have working on the platform as their security respectful apps with pricetags for their hardearned labor will have to compete with android data sucking free apps....
    Even worse, it could also spell doom for the users whose data were sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Radmila View Post
    google knows what u ate and banged this morning...
    Google knows such in part because of apps, Google APIs and web browser programming surreptitiously stealing users' data.
    ...and yet u are concerned about sum spyware that dont even exist?
    Im not sure if this represents plain old ignorance or youth-borne insolence. To the former, tech sites worth their salt and even the so-called major media have been covering this on a daily basis. The latter precludes the searching and cross-linking I'd normally do.

BTW, anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all.
    geekpeter likes this.
    omg we are underestimating the power of the spyware! it will find you anywhere and consume yourz brainz! that's why android users are brainless! problemo solved... no brainz no problemz... now move on!
    While I eagerly await for this OpenMobile thing, I wonder if firewall apps already exist for Android. You know, the kind that pop up a blocking message, saying that a certain app wants to do a certain thing, thus allowing the user to know and reject.

Then we can talk about the fact that 90% of people answer YES to any message they don't understand, instead of learning about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    While I eagerly await for this OpenMobile thing, I wonder if firewall apps already exist for Android. You know, the kind that pop up a blocking message, saying that a certain app wants to do a certain thing, thus allowing the user to know and reject.

Then we can talk about the fact that 90% of people answer YES to any message they don't understand, instead of learning about it.
    i do know there's an iOS firewall app (love it, jailbreak only for obvious reasons)
    im sure theres and android one somewhere
    If it comes to phones as well as Touchpad, specifically my GSM Unlocked Pre 2, then I'll be happy to pay whatever fee they strap onto this thing. If not, life goes on. I still have more apps on my webOS phone than I ever had on my Blackberry or my Android phone, and they're of a higher quality too. I'll be sticking around for a while, it would appear.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    If this comes to pass, would be helpful if new webosnation writers could spotlight those apps that don't give unwarranted permissions--ie review a bunch of wallpaper apps and sort them for us into those that don't ask for your contact data and those that do. That way, we would start to have a database of spy-free apps.
    If this comes to pass, would be helpful if new webosnation writers could spotlight those apps that don't give unwarranted permissions--ie review a bunch of wallpaper apps and sort them for us into those that don't ask for your contact data and those that do. That way, we would start to have a database of spy-free apps.
    Well at least now we have a whole bunch of new writers...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    They just suddenly appeared; where did they come from?
    And who's down for some hazing and light torture?
    Ha ha, ha ha... no. We'll review the OpenMobile ACL if/when it's made available, but we'll leave the reviewing of Android apps to Android Central.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Ha ha, ha ha... no. We'll review the OpenMobile ACL if/when it's made available, but we'll leave the reviewing of Android apps to Android Central.
    Maybe not a review per se, but there could be a community maintained list of ACL-friendly apps considered "spy-free", or on the other hand, a list of apps to be leary of. I'm kind of surprised the android community doesn't already have this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Maybe not a review per se, but there could be a community maintained list of ACL-friendly apps considered "spy-free", or on the other hand, a list of apps to be leary of. I'm kind of surprised the android community doesn't already have this.
    Unfortunately, a good app today can turn into a bad app tomorrow with no warning, so it has to be kept up to date or it is of no value. I've seen lots of reviews complaining about added permissions when users don't understand why they are needed. Explaining how the permissions are used is something devs should take seriously given the history of contact mining apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Unfortunately, a good app today can turn into a bad app tomorrow with no warning, so it has to be kept up to date or it is of no value. I've seen lots of reviews complaining about added permissions when users don't understand why they are needed. Explaining how the permissions are used is something devs should take seriously given the history of contact mining apps.
    this is so true, when i bothered trying cm9 for the novelty factor i tried a fair few apps of which webOS had little or no variants, 1 such app was fine 1 day, but after a seemingly innocent update Avast popped up basically stating teh new version was blatant malware, so that got removed damned fast.

And yeah its always a shock looking at what access some apps "suddenly" want instantly or want after an update, yet many dont read these things, esp the non-tekkie minded who wont have a clue what that stuff means when all they want is the app, they saw or their mates have.
    Insane, still haven't tried CM9 on the dev pad yet...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    this is so true, when i bothered trying cm9 for the novelty factor i tried a fair few apps of which webOS had little or no variants, 1 such app was fine 1 day, but after a seemingly innocent update Avast popped up basically stating teh new version was blatant malware, so that got removed damned fast.

And yeah its always a shock looking at what access some apps "suddenly" want instantly or want after an update, yet many dont read these things, esp the non-tekkie minded who wont have a clue what that stuff means when all they want is the app, they saw or their mates have.
    wow that is crazy. Let me tell you that when i first looked at cm9 i was completely bewildered by the app situation, some of them asked for anywhere between 7-15 permissions, in some cases I could not figure out the value of the permissions or what they were doing.

Would be valuable to get a guide for dummies on the names of the different permissions and what exactly they want--ie there are several location-based ones and wasn't clear to me why the wifi one was needed by some of these apps, let alone the gps one etc.
    If this gets to be a mess and HP relies on android apps to save webOS, would be a shame and would put webOS behind any current OS with curated app store kept-up-to-date, I can feel my lack of desire to participate in that type of situation.
  16.    #116  
    Well Semi GOOOD GOOD NEWS everyone! & it's about time.. I just received an email back from my contact @OpenMobile!

From what I am taking out of this, is that I clearly wasn't chosen to be a beta tester & it's quite possible no one was.. But things are still moving forward & they say it should be to download soon.. Below is the email:

I am so sorry for not getting back to you sooner and thank you so much for your email. We are working diligently to deliver ACL on WebOS. Unfortunately I do not have specific release dates at the moment, but I will reach out to you as soon as I have further information. We are hoping to have an announcement in the very near future about a downloadable version of ACL. Please be kind enough to stay tuned for more information as soon as I am able to release it. We sincerely (I mean this!) appreciate your email, as we love your enthusiasm!

Please do keep reaching out, as I will be sure to give you news just as soon as I can!
    Great to hear! The only thing is, honestly, as a person who has been let down by vaporware before, I would really love to see a demo. Or a screenshot. Or a blurry video of a prototype with a really strange background music selection. Thing is, I've seen so much vaporware especially like this and as much as I'd like to believe it's true, a part of me will never believe it until I see it. Zukny, if it's not too much to ask, could you ask them for some sort of demo in your next email? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants to see this -fingerscrossed-.
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    actually I read this as the announcement is coming soon, not necessarily the downloadable version coming soon.
    Ben
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    actually I read this as the announcement is coming soon, not necessarily the downloadable version coming soon.
    Ben
    I agree with Benh .. hate to sound pessimisstic (because I seriously check this thread everyday lol and I'm craving news on a release so so so so badly for my 2x Pre 3s and TouchPad ... ), but to be realistic, my guess is that OpenMobile has pretty close to finished product, but they won't make it available until after Open webOS is released in Sept ..

Reasons:
    a) certain under the bonnet changes in making webOS open source could "break" ACL; and/or
    b) HP could have struck a deal with OpenMobile to make this available at the same time open source webOS is released to public, in order to cause a big splash .. just think about how good that would be from a marketing point of view in Sept .. "webOS is available open source with many structural improvements to make it run better and be more portable to other devices, and oh, by the way, the apps ecosystem issue is now solved because ACL is also available for download TODAY!" ... now that, would be good way to generate buzz for a newly released open source webOS..

... but having said that, Zukny, please keep us posted.. I'd love to be proven wrong!! I hate not being able to have apps like WhatsApp on my Pre 3 T_T

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
    Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
    I agree with Benh .. hate to sound pessimisstic (because I seriously check this thread everyday lol and I'm craving news on a release so so so so badly for my 2x Pre 3s and TouchPad ... ), but to be realistic, my guess is that OpenMobile has pretty close to finished product, but they won't make it available until after Open webOS is released in Sept ..
    well, as much as you made a valid point about OpenMobile waiting until September to bring it out, my phone conversation with them, as well as a few other people that had phone conversations with them .. spoke otherwise.

Basically haven't given any of the people whom they called a date, but they did narrow it down for some.. I believe I read someone saying 6 weeks, I personally heard in the next few months.. They also sounded like they were looking for beta testers and i was in consideration to be one of them... Well.. apparently i'm not because I never got anything in the mail..

But it did take Anita a week to get that email to me, and things still look promising. Nothing has broken down & things sound just as positive as before.. That is pretty important.

My thinking is, they possibly already have the OK from HP to bring the application out, but they are probably just working on some last minute things.. Which is why they don't want to give a timetable... ? maybe? i donno..

I could be dreaming lol