Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    Agree that's why I wanted to clarify, since the playbook function is far from a sideload
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Most useful apps youll still need to sideload ona playbook as most all of the people that jumped on the free playbook dev promo submitted things that do next to nothing

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Guys! What is the possible way to become a betatester of ACL?
    thx!
    Imagine if they could get a beta of this working this year and a new webOS device comes out with this capability in 2013... that would be pretty interesting indeed.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    Recently I learned about OpenMobile and their plans to put all Android applications on the HP Touchpad - Ofcourse there was a problem with this.. HP would have to buy in............so...

However, I recently received a few Emails from OpenMoble (Most likely because I contacted them once before about adding their Apps to the touchpad) But anyway, Below are the Emails sent to me:

My name is Anita and I am the Marketing Coordinator for OpenMobile. You were kind enough to contact us (via tweets, email, and blog posts) regarding creating a downloadable version of our ACL software for webOS. As you might remember, our ACL software makes all of the Android Apps run on non-Android devices (ie, the TouchPad, etc.).
    We are hoping to poll a few webOS consumers regarding this topic. Would you be kind enough to accept a call from OpenMobile's CEO, Bob Angelo? If so, we promise not to take but a few minutes of your time. Please reply with your phone number and we will give you a buzz. We promise not to release this number to anyone for any reason, we simply want to speak to a few consumers to gauge interest in this ACL downloadable product for webOS.
    We hope to hear back. Thank you so much!

(I responded - Yes.. Number is ---- and Also pointed them to the direction of the Android Apps for WebOS Petition)

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for responding to my email so quickly and providing me with your phone number! I truly appreciate you taking the time to consider receiving a call from Bob Angelo, OpenMobile's CEO.
    To share a bit of background, we are currently considering offering a downloadable version of our Application Compatibility Layer (ACL™) technology for webOS consumers. We look forward to gaining direct feedback and insight from webOS users regarding their current device, the App experience, wishes, price points, etc. Mr. Angelo is making a handful of calls this week to hands-on users, and again, we wanted to thank you for being kind enough to share your number for this purpose in the event he is able to reach out to you.
    Thank you for helping us!

*If you are interested in reading what lead up to this you can find a much older Forum post here*
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...lying-meg.html
    I've sent a supportive message to sales at OpenMobile to produce a TP version of their ACL. Can't wait!! We three TP users would buy it immediately!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I had a quick little chat with OpenMobile today, here are the results:

I was wondering if there is an update. Are we webOS users ever going to see OpenMobile on webOS?

"we are working on it currently...we had an early demo....product soon then testing"

Does that mean HP has given it a greenlight and you guys have a plan on how to implement it onto webOS?

Is this going to be available for all versions of webOS? Phone and tablet?

Can you tell me how its going to work? Buy an additional app catalog? Download apps directly from HP's App Catalog?
    Do you happen to have a time your aiming at for release?

"We now have everything we need to move forward.....we of course have a good demo...but on an emulator....we are beginning the engineering process of rolling our intial MeeGo code base forward for webOS and open webOS....as well as Tizen and then after a bit Windows.....which is a bit of a longer engineering process but still not huge.
    The Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) will be available from HP and directly from us ...it will be as I have been telling a few bloggers sub $10 for ACL...and once thats downloaded and installed you will get immediate access to many many free apps from almost all of the Android markets...but not the google market itself (that is a licensing restraint not a technical restraint). OpenMobile will be providing a facility to buy those same Android apps from us as well. We are coordinating release with HP ...but that is going pretty quickly...they are incredibly supportive."

Are paid apps going to be available as well?

"yes you will have access to both all the free and paid android apps through all the android store other than google"
    Wow. That's encouraging news. I wish they were a bit farther along at this stage, but I'll take this - gladly!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    yep, very encouraging.

i just wish there wasn't so much more waiting involved...
    Do the apps have access thru the security layer to sensitive data on webOS like contacts and calendar?

Sent an email to the co on this issue sometime back but got no response
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Good news indeed! Access through all android stores other than Google? Looks like I'm gonna focus on Amazon App Store!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    that is great! i really cant wait! i am just wandering if its going to be available in all countries, cause now somebody has restrictions on paid apps, i for example cant see them in app catalog at all. if my pre2 get this, and open webos update, it will be the best phone in the world. i need igo, opera mobile so badly.....

also i hope that offline instalation of apk is allowed, cause not all android apps are available trough the market!

omg, i just cant w8 for this!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Do the apps have access thru the security layer to sensitive data on webOS like contacts and calendar?

Sent an email to the co on this issue sometime back but got no response
    yeah its 1 thing i want to know as well, its great getting android compatability but id rather not bring along their spy/garbageware, would be nice if that part gets dumped at the roadside and ignored.
    its up to you if what you install, so just dont install spy/garbageware and all will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radmila View Post
    its up to you if what you install, so just dont install spy/garbageware and all will be fine.
    the same could be said for android devices yet plenty of people knowingly or unknowingly use apps packed full of crap just because its an app they want with no alternative or they dont know any better.

If angry birds space for example was heaped full of spyware how many people would leave it alone, or would they just go "meh i wanna play angry birds space" and install the junk neways, its not like there would be a safe alternative.

If webOS ACL could stop/block/give an option to allow/disallow or simply not have the functionality to do what android happily does with spyware, id be all the happier.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the same could be said for android devices yet plenty of people knowingly or unknowingly use apps packed full of crap just because its an app they want with no alternative or they dont know any better.

If angry birds space for example was heaped full of spyware how many people would leave it alone, or would they just go "meh i wanna play angry birds space" and install the junk neways, its not like there would be a safe alternative.

If webOS ACL could stop/block/give an option to allow/disallow or simply not have the functionality to do what android happily does with spyware, id be all the happier.
    Yes, am thinking it is problematic that I did not get a response back from the company to my query on security. My guess right now is the ACL layer allows access to the sensitive data. It may even lose the ability to grant selective access, for all we know. If so, this could potentially doom what webOS devs we still have working on the platform as their security respectful apps with pricetags for their hardearned labor will have to compete with android data sucking free apps. I hope i am wrong and someone from the company sees this thread and posts what are the details.
    Worse that that almost, is the likelihood that good apps that are allowed to access information that webOS apps can't access. That would greatly reduce the attractiveness of webOS equivalents. That would be a bad thing for webOS app development.
    arent u a bit paranoic? google knows what u ate and banged this morning, and yet u are concerned about sum spyware that dont even exist? im using android for 2 years, and never had any problems with spyware, nor anyone i know, and i know lot of ppl that use android phones and tablets. u are all overreacting imho. fact is that webos is much better and more intuitive os that lacks apps. android is meh... system that has apps. marry the two of them and u get? what u get? PERFECTION
    eblade likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Worse that that almost, is the likelihood that good apps that are allowed to access information that webOS apps can't access. That would greatly reduce the attractiveness of webOS equivalents. That would be a bad thing for webOS app development.
    Yes, with the firing of much of webOS staff, something tells me HP will have little incentive to maintain a curated system for webOS or they will set it up that the curated experience can be found in the HP app catalogue while the android experience is allowed to run wild with openmobile which means it could possibly overrun any webOS devs, leaving the HP catalogue to languish.
    Meanwhile, HP proper hopes Win8 will fill their coffers and if it releases in a buggy fashion or does not catch on quickly, HP will be hoping webos internals or someone else saves their back with an improved version of open webOS to fall back on.
    While I appreciate the work the skeleton HP webOS staff is doing to bring open webOS to the masses, 5 or 6 more months is too long to wait to see what they have accomplished. They need to get something in the hands of webos internals now so we can at least see what they have.
    I am thinking more and more that Apple will be the only real curated ecosystem going, with google now apparently curating racy material but not much else.
    I hope that if this comes to happen, that it just doesn't end up sucking nearly as hardcore as the BlackBerry people's Android stuff does.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Guys! Good evening!
    Could someone please ask the ACL development company if this software will work with HP Veer?
    Thanks a lot!
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast