Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    Congrats,
    hope you will inform us about your impressions.
    greetings from Germany :-)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hey!

incase you'll get the chance to talk with them again, id think it would be interesting to know if the running android app is able to communicate with the native webOS apps.

for example:
    im running a android app to explore my files. Doing this i choose "send file via maill".
    will it in that case be possible that the webOS mail app opens and creates a new mail with the chosen file attached?

I hope that i didnt ask something allready clearyfied.
    Would we be able to access already purchased apps on android? i have a few..

is there any way I can sign up to be a beta tester?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattecko16 View Post
    Would we be able to access already purchased apps on android? i have a few..

is there any way I can sign up to be a beta tester?
    I got an e-mail back from my request to help with win/linux/webOS and it was basically we will keep you posted, we work direct with the OEMs, etc. I will reply this weekend to inquire directly about beta testing on the platforms, thinking the CS person I got didn't fully understand what I meant by "help".
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by volka View Post
    Hey!

incase you'll get the chance to talk with them again, id think it would be interesting to know if the running android app is able to communicate with the native webOS apps.

for example:
    im running a android app to explore my files. Doing this i choose "send file via maill".
    will it in that case be possible that the webOS mail app opens and creates a new mail with the chosen file attached?

I hope that i didnt ask something allready clearyfied.
    I would think no, but that a layer could possibly be coded in to add this functionality, would probably lag a lil. Just thinking from my understanding of how the software works, this would require programming to turn the android call into a webos call. Anythings possible.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I would think no, but that a layer could possibly be coded in to add this functionality, would probably lag a lil. Just thinking from my understanding of how the software works, this would require programming to turn the android call into a webos call. Anythings possible.
    Well, as far as i heard, the android apps do work with the webOS notification system.

Beeing a code newb id say that pretty much sounds like it would require to 'translate the android call into a webOS call'.

So i raise my hopes for a bright future where android apps and webOS apps live together in perfect harmony and synergy inside of the wonderful ecosystem 'webOS' which will get upgrades of customisable 2-4 finger multitouch gestures of course
    Sorry if this has already been answered but will this be only for the Touchpad or will the Pre 3 also get OpenMobile?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I hope Pre3 as well. I'd rather have this work on my phone than tablet.

Is there a way to volunteer as beta tester?
    as webOS tablet apps are much better then most android tablet apps, having that available on the touchpad could be a dead start.

However, havin this on the phone-side would benefit us a lot more, as the phone-apps are much better!
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    as webOS tablet apps are much better then most android tablet apps, having that available on the touchpad could be a dead start.

However, havin this on the phone-side would benefit us a lot more, as the phone-apps are much better!
    Plus some important missing Android-apps are phone-only like WhatsApp for example
    +1 for TextPlus and all the other iOS apps I use which are available for android but not webOS
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    This is great! I am looking forward to seeing some Android apps that I can not find on WebOS. I find WebOS very intuitive and good OS, but its obvious that there are many great apps for Android that WebOS simply dont have. Opera Mobile for example. I would love to see this happen only cause of Opera. Its really a shame that WebOS dont have alternative browser that has TEXT REFLOW. Reading text in integrated browser really is a pain!

I have one question, sorry if it was mentioned before, but I didn't find that information.

Everyone is talking about Touchpad, and Pre3, but what about older models? Is this going to be available for Pre and Pre2?

Thanx!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    How is this supposed to work?
    You will "open" their App like an emulator and use through it the android apps ?

I too would like it for phones, in the TP you always have the option to install Android if you like.
    In the phones some apps (like WhatsApp for example) would make the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    How is this supposed to work?
    You will "open" their App like an emulator and use through it the android apps ?

I too would like it for phones, in the TP you always have the option to install Android if you like.
    In the phones some apps (like WhatsApp for example) would make the difference.
    I think you will simply open the Android app as if it were a WebOS one, their layer will simply provide the API interface for the Android app to call and convert it to WebOS API calls. It's not an emulator, there is nothing to emulate as everything is interpreted code in any case.

I'm not sure how that will relate to compiled apps like games though, presumably that will depend on the ARM byte code being compatible. My guess is that this is the area we will get the least compatability.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    is there any status update? Has been quiet for some time again already..
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Vos View Post
    is there any status update? Has been quiet for some time again already..
    I check my mailbox every day to see if something is coming in the mail to make me a beta tester.

If I don't get anything by monday of next week. I'll send them another email.. hopefully they will respond and not go away into the dark..
    Dont do it; its a mess on the wifes playbook.

Sideloading android apps is useless compared to native.
    I say dont do it because annoying them wont make it happen any quicker. Just allow them to do their work.
    Quote Originally Posted by local.bin View Post
    Dont do it; its a mess on the wifes playbook.

Sideloading android apps is useless compared to native.
    why are you sideloading? I was under the impression you have access to different app stores like any other android device.
    I think they mean running an android app inside of QNX....not necessarily "side-loading" the app.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast