Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    ok, can I suggest we take this private? If he's serious about this, he's not going to want the whole world knowing whats being discussed. Is there a private group function that we could use so we can talk about this between those of us that want to help move this along?
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    ok, can I suggest we take this private? If he's serious about this, he's not going to want the whole world knowing whats being discussed. Is there a private group function that we could use so we can talk about this between those of us that want to help move this along?
    just message me privately if you want me to ask something to him. .. I'll probably call him in an hour or so so hurry n think
    ok, I've sent you 2 messages...more might be coming as I think about it some more
    Hi Zukny - I've sent you a PM as well with some thoughts. Good luck!!
    ok, I've sent another message. That'll be the last one from me.
  6.    #46  
    Got your messages.. Definitely some good stuff to bring up if given the opportunity.. .. Thinking I might call around 4:30 eastern time.. I Believe openmobile is on the west coast.. so it should work out fine..

Since a man like me is at work right now
  7.    #47  
    I just had the conversation w/ The President of Open Mobile. Once my mind is clear of thoughts and I get finished work.. I'll try to sum up some of the discussion with you guys.

Things do look very bright
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    I just had the conversation w/ The President of Open Mobile. Once my mind is clear of thoughts and I get finished work.. I'll try to sum up some of the discussion with you guys.

Things do look very bright
    Thanks Zukny - we appreciate your efforts for us!
  9.    #49  
    When I received the phone call earlier today, it kinda took me off guard a bit since I was the one expecting to make the call and I was in the middle of a busy Friday workday. So I blame that for not having the answer to all the questions that were submitted to me

Anyways, what we did talk about is: Who I am, what type of apps I would like to use, why did I reach out to Open Mobile. Then his background: Phoenix Technologies, etc.. From there he discussed w/ me some plans of Open Mobile & seemed careful not to give me to much.

1. President Bob Angelo reached out to HP a while back and has been constantly talking w/ HP about bringing Open Mobile to their platform (webOS). He made it clear to me that many of those atop the food chain @HP are very interested in bringing Open Mobile in... and they are figuring things out as we speak.

2. Cost - Couldn't get much, but the idea is that it would be cost effective enough so everyone would want to download android apps. Whether it's a cost on top of the app or just 1 cost thing, I believe is still being worked out. I also believe Open Mobile feels like I do that, if they get this on webOS devices, it will be around for a very long time and will definitely bring in good money over time.

3. Would all apps work: Yes. This got way to complicated for me but it involved replacing of a Kernal in the Android apps that make them compatible w/ WebOS.

4. When? - Wouldn't give me a solid date, but said multiple times to me that it's coming Soon! when? SOON!

5. How would it be available? This got a bit confusing for me, as i'm not sure I understood the answer. It should be available through 2 app stores the HP Store & the Google Store. I guess there is talks of incorporating all apps into the HP store.. (Don't quote me on that).. but anyways.. Also discussion went on about being able to pick and choose which google store you are buying from .. incase you like/dislike a certain one.... I personally didn't know they had more then one lol

6. Beta Testers (my very own question YES.. There is an idea out there to incorporate some beta testers very soon. I asked to be a Beta tester (OFCOURSE)

7. Also discussed w/ him the Petition that is out there and the real enthusiasm that is going on here @ webosnation. Which he then informed me that he keeps up w/ the blogs & the talk online and is following it all very close. He also tries to write everyone back as soon as he can. So Very cool stuff guys.. Maybe Derek will get that Petition on the front page of this site now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    When I received the phone call earlier today, it kinda took me off guard a bit since I was the one expecting to make the call and I was in the middle of a busy Friday workday. So I blame that for not having the answer to all the questions that were submitted to me

Anyways, what we did talk about is: Who I am, what type of apps I would like to use, why did I reach out to Open Mobile. Then his background: Phoenix Technologies, etc.. From there he discussed w/ me some plans of Open Mobile & seemed careful not to give me to much.

1. President Bob Angelo reached out to HP a while back and has been constantly talking w/ HP about bringing Open Mobile to their platform (webOS). He made it clear to me that many of those atop the food chain @HP are very interested in bringing Open Mobile in... and they are figuring things out as we speak.

2. Cost - Couldn't get much, but the idea is that it would be cost effective enough so everyone would want to download android apps. Whether it's a cost on top of the app or just 1 cost thing, I believe is still being worked out. I also believe Open Mobile feels like I do that, if they get this on webOS devices, it will be around for a very long time and will definitely bring in good money over time.

3. Would all apps work: Yes. This got way to complicated for me but it involved replacing of a Kernal in the Android apps that make them compatible w/ WebOS.

4. When? - Wouldn't give me a solid date, but said multiple times to me that it's coming Soon! when? SOON!

5. How would it be available? This got a bit confusing for me, as i'm not sure I understood the answer. It should be available through 2 app stores the HP Store & the Google Store. I guess there is talks of incorporating all apps into 1 store.. (Don't quote me on that).. but anyways.. Also discussion went on about being able to pick and choose which google store you are buying from .. incase you like/dislike a certain one.... I personally didn't know they had more then one lol

6. Beta Testers (my very own question YES.. There is an idea out there to incorporate some beta testers very soon. I asked to be a Beta tester (OFCOURSE)

7. Also discussed w/ him the Petition that is out there and the real enthusiasm that is going on here @ webosnation. Which he then informed me that he keeps up w/ the blogs & the talk online and is following it all very close. He also tries to write everyone back as soon as he can. So Very cool stuff guys.. Maybe Derek will get that Petition on the front page of this site now?
    if theres extra cost over a standard android app price, loads would complain, they did with splashtop, after forking out a respectable amount then cried when it dropped a little, many like myself would feel grateful id get potentially more apps on the OS i prefer and wouldnt give a care in the world for paying more.

I have android installed as a curiosity piece, cant say ive enjoyed the spam filled goodness it brings (more apps doesnt always mean a good thing when most are there to steal your info), and the actual navigation/control of it just isnt my thing, esp when the first thing most seem to post after getting android is "what can i install to make it like webOS" bit daft tbh.

So er yeah, better OS and possibly the chance to install some of the not too numerous malware apps, yeah id pay for that and enjoy the option to have it, my biggest gripe is the app catalogue and has been for a while, the HP one isnt very large but even so its annoying to navigate or find things you want, god help the android side if it ends up using the HP catalogue.

Both HP's and Androids app catalogues seem to perform quite poorly when your after useful searches or sort filters, instead giving only the bare useless minimum, add to that, androids app cat seems to mysteriously flag many apps you have no interest in, or the ones stuffed full of google adds/malware, androids an even bigger nightmare for finding apps you want and filtering out the garbage you dont want.

Cmon HP, /$$ is made on app purchases, the very first thign ever user see's in this respect is the front end/app catalogue, poor sales is reflected on a poor app catalogue, people dont buy thigns when they basically struggle or get annoyed and give up when searching for what they want.
    Thanks for the update! This is very good news!! If they bring this product out, I definitely see great possibilities for it. webOS would be in a position to be shipped by any vendor and have extensive app compatibility with all the applications users already have on their Android phones (and/or switch from an Android tablet, if they already have one). Unlike the MotionApps Classic that was not as financially successful as they would have liked (by the accounts I have seen), Android apps are an ongoing concern and not a legacy environment (which, once a user has transitioned off it to apps on the new native OS, they no longer need). OEMs could easily differentiate their phones/tablets with webOS instead of having to "skin" Android.

Of course, a crucial component is support from HP. Until now, HP has been mum on this so it is good to hear that HP has been supportive. This would instantly breathe new life into webOS.

Open sourcing Enyo is great, but the fact is that most developers are not going to suddenly cease developing Android apps and start using a new framework and programming toolkit. Developers already have their hands full with iOS, several versions of Android, and some support Blackberry and Win Phone too. Let the battle for the best programming language/framework take place separately from the underlying OS - webOS already makes it easy to port graphical (non GUI) iOS apps like games - adding the ability to run Android apps, plus the ongoing effort to open source webOS, would instantly make webOS viable again to a lot of OEMs and would make it far more likely that we would see shipping webOS devices later this year.
    marcedhk likes this.
    with the potential option of running dual OS apps in 1 OS, this makes having your main core OS the stronger of the others, if every mobile platform could run each others apps, the user experience and ease of use would be the only thing setting them apart, given that, id still stick to webOS, does what i want, how i want, add in android apps to fill any gaps and thats a powerful platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    with the potential option of running dual OS apps in 1 OS, this makes having your main core OS the stronger of the others, if every mobile platform could run each others apps, the user experience and ease of use would be the only thing setting them apart, given that, id still stick to webOS, does what i want, how i want, add in android apps to fill any gaps and thats a powerful platform.
    I agree with you 100%. And if we get Android apps on the platform, then the possibility of third party hardware manufacturers putting out webOS hardware increases significantly.
    Interesting work Zukny. Thanks for your efforts. I had both CM7/9 installed previously, since removed. There's a few good apps here and there, but for all intensive purposes, not my cup of tea, for the time being. Something like this has my attention though,

I'm not in any manner, shape or form chomping at the bit for this, but if it comes to reality, I can't see it being a bad thing. Carrying on with my wait and see attitude. Best of luck with it.;
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    my two cents is this is a very good idea, as stated above it will also help with manufactuers making devices running webos, knowing there will be apps available for it. I myself just left a Iphone 4 and before that htc arrive (which i really liked WP7 is very nice), having picked up a pre 3 on AT&T this phone is by far the best phone ive used so far, Having used some of the best phones on all different OS's (even the galaxy sII on sprint). So to me with this help awhole lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'd pay $20-$30 for this ability. I'd imagine the Dev would have to make it a bit pricy, but it would be WELL worth it.
    Yup - 20-30 would be no problem. It's easily worth that.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I paid $30 for Classic to run a handful of my old Palm OS apps, I'd gladly pay that for the ability to buy Android apps.
    exciting news and looking forward to more info. when you spoke to them was the focus solely on the TP or also inclusive of the Pre? Availability on the phone of more apps certainly makes putting off the pending upgrade on VZ a bit more tolerable.
    I think, 9,99usd would be a sweet-spot price for the masses.

Although, I would pay 30usd immediately...

But, I think it could proove to be the better payment-model, to ask 4,99usd and combine that with a kind of in-app-payments for the android-store-paid-apps, like +1usd for each app.

However...looking forward to get this "soon". :-)
  20.    #60  
    Looks like there may be Beta Testers Here is my latest email from Anita:

Hi Matthew,

Thank you so much for taking the time to take a call with Bob Angelo on Friday afternoon. Bob appreciated the call and truly enjoys your webOS insight.
    Also, I have noted your address and you are on our list for webOS / ACL beta testers. Thank you for offering to do so.
    Keep your fingers crossed for great news coming soon.

Thank you!
    uptherams, jcmarcos and volka like this.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast