webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > OpenMobile update!!!
OpenMobile update!!!
Like Tree279Likes

Old 01/19/2013, 02:01 PM   #381 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmLives View Post
Vistauss,
I have Ubuntu chroot installed already but I am not familiar with Wine (nube alert). Where/how to I get/install Wine?
Thanks in advance
wine cant emulate a x86 processor which silverlight requires, currently it only works on x86 based ubuntu systems and unfortunatly not arm.....

EDIT: http://www.howtogeek.com/130372/how-...x-desktop-app/

theres a link to get it working on a desktop pc running ubuntu, no need for windows, afaik the whole thing is a special meshed together version of firefox, wine and silverlight.
Old 01/19/2013, 02:42 PM   #382 (permalink)

Bummer

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/19/2013, 05:29 PM   #383 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
wine cant emulate a x86 processor which silverlight requires, currently it only works on x86 based ubuntu systems and unfortunatly not arm.....

EDIT: How To Watch Netflix On Ubuntu with the Netflix Desktop App - How-To Geek

theres a link to get it working on a desktop pc running ubuntu, no need for windows, afaik the whole thing is a special meshed together version of firefox, wine and silverlight.
Hey, does the Mono-based Moonlight lack the DRM module?
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 05:31 PM   #384 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Hey, does the Mono-based Moonlight lack the DRM module?
yup moonlight cant do squat, and development stopped ages ago so wont ever aquire it.
Old 01/19/2013, 09:05 PM   #385 (permalink)

I think Microsoft at a time did provide some DRM pieces, but then again it seems the entire Mono project is going slowly.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 04:26 AM   #386 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
wine cant cross the arm<>x86 barrier so unfortunatly we cant do that either as it still depends on silverlight, thats the x86 problem for arm ubuntu currently wine netflix only works on x86 afaik.
But Wine just added support for ARM :/

WineHQ - News

And Silverlight isn't necessary because wine-netflix already bundles that.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 04:57 AM   #387 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
But Wine just added support for ARM :/

WineHQ - News

And Silverlight isn't necessary because wine-netflix already bundles that.
doesnt arm support just mean it can run windows/arm programs, as in the new windows8 armel tablets? afaik unless your using qemu or something then wine cant cross the processor barrier as it doesnt emulate?
Old 01/20/2013, 06:11 AM   #388 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, but Wine can actually run on Ubuntu chroot now, that is what I'm talking about. And again: Silverlight is bundled into the wine-netflix package so no need for x86 as long as Wine is available which it now is.

But I can't say whether it really works or not because Netflix isn't available in my country yet. But it *should* work this way.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 06:19 AM   #389 (permalink)

Silverlight is compiled for x86, and unless WP7 has an ARM-compiled copy that could be hacked to run under Wine, there isn't much we could do at this point
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 02:12 PM   #390 (permalink)

Open Mobile is under NDA.......
pingenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 02:19 PM   #391 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingenet View Post
Open Mobile is under NDA.......
No Demonstration Available
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Grabber5.0, davidtm and 8 others like this.
Old 01/21/2013, 04:53 AM   #392 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
No....

Never Delivered Anything
pingenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0, HelloNNNewman, sledge007 and 4 others like this.
Old 01/21/2013, 05:43 AM   #393 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Hahahahaha... #i'mdeadlaughing

Best Regards...
Old 01/21/2013, 04:55 PM   #394 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

OpenMobile Forever?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover, geekpeter and Remy X like this.
Old 01/28/2013, 01:51 PM   #395 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
OpenMobile Forever?
LOL, hey Duke Nukem finally came out at least....
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 01/28/2013, 02:34 PM   #396 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Now on their site they are touting their AppMall which brings oh so many independent Apps to all the ACL Powered devices out there.

So that's 2 whole devices!!!! The Tizen Dev phone they drag around everywhere to show off slightly miffed avian lifeforms and the Tizen Infotainment screen prototype for vehicles...

They own all two enabled devices. I guess they really are in business for themselves.

http://openmobile.co/pdf/Data_Sheet_AppMall_1.pdf

They've partnered up with NeXva who seem only to repackage existing Apps, so far as I can tell. They are just a front page for developers to submit to. Yep you can shop cross platform - but there is no cross platform compatability. Basically you get whatever is in your native App Cat anyway.

@ Anita: Does the pie-in-the-sky, blustering, braggadocio never end? How do you justify having a web site which clearly states all the wonderful things you have available RIGHT THIS MOMENT - present time - implying one click availability - FOR THINGS THAT ARE STILL ONLY CONCEPTS.

Your whole facade is A LIE. A SCAM. A FRAUD.

I'm seriously considering reporting the site to authorities. The FBI and the IC3 take a very dim view of sites which are designed to dupe the public.

You need to make it crystal clear on your site that you have nothing available through OEMs or for direct consumer download. That you have, in fact, ZERO PRODUCTS AVAILABLE.

It's highly unethical to advertise products that don't exist, that are just concepts. I could draw a picture of a car that flies through outer space and claim it is in development. Should I start a web page saying it is here? That I've flown to Mars in the thing? Just because everyone lies on the internet does not make it a good business model...

I hope this thread makes it clear to you and whoever runs OpenMobileWW that you are upsetting and alienating your target consumer base.

Clean up your act. It looks really bad for you that all the promises your company makes are hollow.

My two cents worth as a consumer who would have supported your product, did help hype it in the forums, got burned by vague promises, missed deadlines, continual shifting of focus.. One who now feels ill that I fell for the scam, am hugely disgusted by looking at your site which lies, lies, lies to people claiming this stuff is not just a dream still... An angry consumer who now wants to talk at every opportunity about how shady your whole operation is, would never spend one red cent for anything even if you did manage to package a release and will take every opportunity to dissuade anyone else from trusting in your company or spending any money on any product you might happen to produce.

All this anger in just one short year. Why? Your entire business model appears to be a pack of lies.

Shame on OpenMobileWorldWide. A horrible way to build a business.

Last edited by RumoredNow; 01/29/2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter and palmpreandroid like this.
Thanked By: g.vos
Old 01/28/2013, 02:56 PM   #397 (permalink)

they may as well be a kickstarter'alike project, at least they would get some funding even if a little and as kickstarter projects guarantee nothing final, even if people donated its fairly clear what happens to your cash, but at least they would know the risks.

its still a crying shame, id LOVE this product, i WANT more app selection but inside my preferred OS, i dont want android, i just want a select few of their apps and nothing more.

this ligering want and need is what just peeves a load of us off every time this thread grows in size with the odd token "were still here, keep watching us" post from them, knowing deep down we need it, they have it, wont or cant give us it but keep sticking the finger in our eyes periodically.

honestly makes me want to punch my monitor in these days (its a new one so maybe not just yet)
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/29/2013, 01:36 PM   #398 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
they.. ...keep sticking (their) finger in our eyes periodically...
+1
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 02/16/2013, 02:13 PM   #399 (permalink)

Quote:
doesnt arm support just mean it can run windows/arm programs, as in the new windows8 armel tablets? afaik unless your using qemu or something then wine cant cross the processor barrier as it doesnt emulate?
interesting heads up regarding wine and the guestimated qemu dependancy i mentioned, seems the 4th or so dev/maintainer for native ubuntu has in his alpha got a wine+qemu combo working so armel can run x86, his pic atm only shows amazingly simple apps like his pictured windows solitaire working but it still worked, could/might/may produce interesting results 1 day perhaps.

1 small step closer to ubuntu netflix on hp touchpad, hope this ubuntu 13.x gets somewhere with its new maintainer.

i have the 12.x variant atm, its pretty rubbish performance wise compared with chroot, granted it can run stuff chroot cant but does so far 2 slow to be of worth, troubles with the gfx drivers apparantly, but you can at least use a bluetooth mouse, ill give 13.x a shot as well, see if anything has improved, hope it gets more updates ofc, seems pretty interesting so far.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4)
Old 02/26/2013, 01:57 AM   #400 (permalink)

I'm disappointed in OpenMobile, it's been over 24 hours and they haven't claimed available support for LGs new SmartTV platform.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, OldSkoolVWLover, mizerable and 6 others like this.

Tags
android apps, openmobile, touchpad apps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0