webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > OpenMobile update!!!
OpenMobile update!!!
Like Tree279Likes

Old 01/17/2013, 08:35 AM   #361 (permalink)

Whoops , does look like an old interview , thought it was to good to be true.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 08:39 AM   #362 (permalink)

So this guy said the same thing about acl and webos at last years CES and this years CES , doesn't seem to trustworthy.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 09:12 AM   #363 (permalink)

So what next now, can't they just put the ACL to download somewhere ? even if its not stable ??
pingenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 10:04 AM   #364 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
So this guy said the same thing about acl and webos at last years CES and this years CES , doesn't seem to trustworthy.
I don't think so - on Facebook he gave some new information (see quote) from CES 2013 but linked the old article from CES 2012 (just to show the status from last year). There is no new article because he is not allowed to tell more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOS Blog
Hab von denen auch nichts mehr gehört seit der letzten CES. Dachte die haben schon eingepackt. Jetzt waren sie aber mit noch mehr Mitarbeitern und einem doppelt so großen Stand da. Das ding steht kurz vor dem Release. Habs gesehen und es klappt alles. Details gibts dann hoffentlich in Kürze in einem Video.
Quote:
I haven't heard from them since last CES and thought they gave up. But this year they were at CES again with much more employees and a booth twice the size. The "thing" is short before release. I have seen it and everything is working. I hope I can give more details in a video soon.
I assume that he is not talking about the Angry Birds demo on Tizen.

Ah - I have just seen some new infos on his Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/webosblog/po...51670843019968

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOS Blog
Ja, ich habs gesehen. Dieses mal sogar nicht im Emulator sondern auf einem echten Touchpad.
Quote:
Yes, I have seen it. This time actually on the TouchPad and not in the emulator.
This makes me wonder if Derek has missed something?

Last edited by T-Pad; 01/17/2013 at 10:12 AM.
T-Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 10:52 AM   #365 (permalink)

no end user product still = no news to be happy about.
Old 01/18/2013, 06:26 AM   #366 (permalink)

Maybe but if they have already something that is working, what are they waiting for ?
pingenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 08:42 AM   #367 (permalink)

Anyway they should have finished their product about one year ago, before most of the TouchPad users made the switch to Android. Nevertheless I'll buy it if it works well and the price is reasonable. I like webOS, but there are two or three free Android apps which have no (or only very inconvenient) counterpieces on webOS.
Old 01/18/2013, 10:28 AM   #368 (permalink)
Rnp

"most of the Touchpad users made the switch to Android"?????

Putz... nonsense...

Call me pessimistic, but I believe that this thread must be closed or the title changed, at least...

Best Regards...
Liked by johncc, Grabber5.0, geekpeter and 2 others like this.
Old 01/18/2013, 12:57 PM   #369 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If that were the case than this part of the forum would be dead by now because everyone would crawl into the Android part of this forum or other forums like Android Central or XDA-developers.

There are enough webOS Touchpad users still left here. In fact, if I check webOS Nation the webOS section only once a day I have lot of posts to crawl trough so it's active enough. We believe in webOS on the Touchpad.
In fact, should my Touchpad die on me then I'll just buy a new/used Touchpad on eBay.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by retroblu and Remy X like this.
Old 01/18/2013, 05:25 PM   #370 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
In fact, should my Touchpad die on me then I'll just buy a new/used Touchpad on eBay.
way ahead of you, have 2 for myself now and gave 2 away as crimbo presents to family, who btw like them, esp as i made theirs dual boot so they get to use something new and something they recognise.
Old 01/19/2013, 05:05 AM   #371 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
"most of the Touchpad users made the switch to Android"?????
Putz... nonsense...
What I mean is that most have installed CM7/9/10 and never switch back to webOS. On ebay in Germany most of the TouchPads are offered with Android and the screen shots show CyanogenMod instead of webOS.

Unfortunately we don't have any numbers (neither in active webOS users nor in their distribution with and without paid app catalog access nor in app sales), but to me Astraware's TochPad counter was very disappointing and showed that there are not many webOS users left (if you take into account that about 900000 TouchPad units have been sold).

On the other side the availablity of MojoWhatsup has brought many new users to this forum (which means that there are much more webOS users out there) and its thread is by far one of the most active in this forum (about 1300 replies and 135000 views as of now).
Old 01/19/2013, 05:50 AM   #372 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

But still, there are a lot of developers here left and there are quite a few reviews on free and paid apps from apps that were only introduced in the last few months. So ofc, we're not gonna top Android off but it's more than enough to keep webOS alive.
And that number will even further grow since a lot of dual-booters do it for the note-taking apps and Nuttypad is gonna solve that problem on webOS soon.
Old 01/19/2013, 07:38 AM   #373 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
What I mean is that most have installed CM7/9/10 and never switch back to webOS. On ebay in Germany most of the TouchPads are offered with Android and the screen shots show CyanogenMod instead of webOS.

Unfortunately we don't have any numbers (neither in active webOS users nor in their distribution with and without paid app catalog access nor in app sales), but to me Astraware's TochPad counter was very disappointing and showed that there are not many webOS users left (if you take into account that about 900000 TouchPad units have been sold).

On the other side the availablity of MojoWhatsup has brought many new users to this forum (which means that there are much more webOS users out there) and its thread is by far one of the most active in this forum (about 1300 replies and 135000 views as of now).
i installed cm9, but i use it only for netflix....

otherwise i prefer webOs, especially for document editing/writing
gderoiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and geekpeter like this.
Old 01/19/2013, 11:41 AM   #374 (permalink)

that's pretty much the same story here. I installed cm9 to try it out (just because the TP is so great it can dual boat), to get netflix, and freenote.. Other than that I am not impressed with the user experience of android.
Old 01/19/2013, 11:44 AM   #375 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmLives View Post
that's pretty much the same story here. I installed cm9 to try it out (just because the TP is so great it can dual boat), to get netflix, and freenote.. Other than that I am not impressed with the user experience of android.
in a similar experience, now netflix is runnable via a special build of WINE on ubuntu, i formatted my windows partitions as again i only kept windows for netflix and the odd game, again tho wine still lets me run plenty of games i want/need so windows is now defunct on my main pc and laptops forever.
Old 01/19/2013, 12:26 PM   #376 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
What I mean is that most have installed CM7/9/10 and never switch back to webOS...
I've never installed CMx on my TouchPad and have no plans to do so ever. I gave away an ICS tablet when I got the TouchPad.

Just sayin'.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, PalmLives and Vistaus like this.
Old 01/19/2013, 12:56 PM   #377 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gderoiste View Post
i installed cm9, but i use it only for netflix....
otherwise i prefer webOs, especially for document editing/writing
I have installed CM9, too, but I don't really use it - about once a month or even less.
Old 01/19/2013, 01:47 PM   #378 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmLives View Post
And like I said: webOS is getting Nuttypad real soon so that's one less reason to dual-boot
(and Netflix now works in Wine so if you want you can install Ubuntu chroot on webOS)
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Old 01/19/2013, 01:54 PM   #379 (permalink)

Quote:
And like I said: webOS is getting Nuttypad real soon so that's one less reason to dual-boot
(and Netflix now works in Wine so if you want you can install Ubuntu chroot on webOS)
wine cant cross the arm<>x86 barrier so unfortunatly we cant do that either as it still depends on silverlight, thats the x86 problem for arm ubuntu currently wine netflix only works on x86 afaik.
Old 01/19/2013, 01:56 PM   #380 (permalink)

Quote:
Vistauss,
I have Ubuntu chroot installed already but I am not familiar with Wine (nube alert). Where/how to I get/install Wine?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/28/2013 at 01:58 PM.
PalmLives is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
android apps, openmobile, touchpad apps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0