webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > OpenMobile update!!!
OpenMobile update!!!
Like Tree279Likes

Old 01/10/2013, 12:04 PM   #341 (permalink)

Seriously, do we not have anyone at CES who can check these guys out in person? Derek?
Thanked By: AnitaOM
Old 01/10/2013, 12:48 PM   #342 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, despite lacking a show-off for webOS they do have a show-off for Tizen: OpenMobile Runs Android Apps on Tizen Hardware at CES - YouTube

So maybe they backed out of webOS anyway, who knows? But the least we can say is that they're not a scam in general because they do have something working at least.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by AnitaOM likes this.
Thanked By: AnitaOM
Old 01/10/2013, 12:59 PM   #343 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Well, despite lacking a show-off for webOS they do have a show-off for Tizen: OpenMobile Runs Android Apps on Tizen Hardware at CES - YouTube

So maybe they backed out of webOS anyway, who knows? But the least we can say is that they're not a scam in general because they do have something working at least.
tbh they can "show" anything they like but until theres something tangible that "users" can aquire its still vapourware even if they demo it running on a toaster.
Old 01/10/2013, 01:12 PM   #344 (permalink)

Quote:

Tizen == Meego + Bada;

Now, they've already had a Meego demo for some months (maybe a year? or more?) on their YouTube, so they haven't brought anything new to CES. They have just repackaged the same old thing
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and sledge007 like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 01/10/2013, 04:48 PM   #345 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Tizen == Meego + Bada;

Now, they've already had a Meego demo for some months (maybe a year? or more?) on their YouTube, so they haven't brought anything new to CES. They have just repackaged the same old thing
But the fact that they show it off on CES rather than on their own YouTube channel says something IMHO. I'm not a fan of their strategy, so don't mistake me for that. I'm just saying now that they've showed something on CES that says something.
Old 01/10/2013, 06:25 PM   #346 (permalink)

Quote:
But the fact that they show it off on CES rather than on their own YouTube channel says something IMHO. I'm not a fan of their strategy, so don't mistake me for that. I'm just saying now that they've showed something on CES that says something.
It says that they want money and attention... and as far as i'm concerned, they no longer deserve either.
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 01/10/2013, 07:03 PM   #347 (permalink)

Hi Anita, have you come to squash all of our insanity and give us something tangible or are you just lurking about?
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc, Rnp and HelloNNNewman like this.
Old 01/10/2013, 07:57 PM   #348 (permalink)

OpenMobile Runs Android Apps on Tizen Hardware at CES - YouTube

Great video They even mention webOS!!!!!

That's a great "video" of Angry Birds, seems like he's got his choreography down pat to make it look like he's actually playing the game on this "Super Prototype Phone"

So bottom line, even if this is "real", they can only get Angry Birds working at this time. Why they couldn't rattle off 10 or 15 different apps in the 4 minutes is beyond me.

235 thumbs up and 8 thumbs down on the video, by the way. If you don't buy into their new clothes, don't be afraid to vote

Last edited by sledge007; 01/10/2013 at 08:11 PM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos and Remy X like this.
Old 01/10/2013, 08:10 PM   #349 (permalink)

And why they would be using hardware that is "super-prototype" stuff that was handed out by Samsung using the Tizon OS - instead of something more 'mainstream' is beyond me. I watched that video and gave it a big.... meh.

I'd love to believe (seriously LOVE to believe), but they are either following in Palm's footsteps by being way ahead of their time and running on a shoe-string budget... or running the company by selling one promise after another without really being able to deliver much more than 'examples' on hardware non-released hardware.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/10/2013 at 08:17 PM.
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 and geekpeter like this.
Old 01/11/2013, 05:33 AM   #350 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Of course Michael mentions webOS. He still uses his Touchpad every day. He even recently made a video about why he's still preferring webOS over Android.
Old 01/11/2013, 07:52 AM   #351 (permalink)
Rnp

Simple: no new webOS devices, no demo.

Best Regards...
Old 01/15/2013, 02:42 PM   #352 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

OK, so I didn't exactly stay tuned into CES 2013 like a hardcore geek would have...

But the only thing I heard/saw about ACL and OpenMobileWW was some pretty lame segment for engadget where they showed a crappy looking scaled down Angry Birds on the Tizen Developer Phone. It was landscape orientation squashed onto portrait mode screen so it was really small... The guy demoing it just flapped his lips around.

No proof of Google Play access... No way to show it wasn't just a cheap *** port of AB straight to Tizen.

Earth Shattering???

*Yawn*

@Anita... If I had bought plane tickets, booked a hotel, purchased entry, wasted my personal time and finances just to come see that...

What possible hype could you hope to pump me up with to make me care about ACL?

That same thing was shown off months and months ago. If Samsung/Tizen is buying your shiny new offices and footing the bill for your CES booth and you "showcase" them like that - be careful, they will probably want a refund.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 01/15/2013, 03:42 PM   #353 (permalink)

their tweets are still vague cloak and dagger action.
Old 01/15/2013, 03:53 PM   #354 (permalink)

Okay we know Derek was at CES... Where is his video of interrogating the ACL people to find out where they are hiding their webOS vaporware?

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/17/2013, 01:20 AM   #355 (permalink)

According to a tweet [1] from www.webos-blog.de OpenMobile actually has a product. On Facebook Julien writes [2] that he visited OpenMobile at CES and that their product is final and short before release. He has seen it and it is working. I hope he is not talking about the Angry Birds demo shown on Tizen. He is not allowed to give more details.

[1] Twitter / webos_blog: Übrigens: War letzte Woche ...
[2] Übrigens: War... | Facebook
Old 01/17/2013, 05:52 AM   #356 (permalink)

Translated from WebOS-blog.De

Many readers have given me in the past few days a link to the press release from open mobile sent that soon a small app want to offer that makes possible native like webOS apps on webOS there Android apps to run. Since I'm just now at CES in Las Vegas I took advantage of the opportunity and you popped at Open Mobile and I am really excited. The small company radiates a genuine enthusiasm for the project and love webOS. Of course, they offer the application compatibility layer (ACL) for Windows, Linux, Meego and co. on but they love all webOS operating system.

I have really long talk with the Nice gentlemen and ladies and us exchanged. They knew also the webOS blog and enjoy about my help, but now erstmal from the front: open mobile plant this project already quite a long time and were very long and hard in contact with HP. They had often with Richard Kerris dates and an entscheidener should a day after pharmacist buried the webOS devices take place on August 19. Kerris has to cancel the appointment and therefore it stood long in limbo. Here was a long calm. The chiefs of open mobile had contact resumed in the new year with Meg Whitman and the project to finish, but this is only if HP further cooperates or until they wait, are now wanted to webOS open source is.

How the whole thing works? Relatively simple in theory. When you invoke an APK file (Android installations) the ACL sets including webOS and puts an icon like any other webOS app to the app as normal. If you then open the app it launches like a normal webOS app in a card and it has all the benefits of webOS multi-tasking.

On the lower left side, you have still the typical Android buttons to navigate in the app. It should run any app thanks to a Dalvik VM and the like any other webOS app natively. The Amazon Android store can be installed of course sooner or later with a little reworking of presumably also the Android market. OpenGL apps are supported, as well, the complete datasheet can be found at this link in PDF format. I've also seen a demo, it ran but on a Windows Tablet in the webOS emulator from the SDK. Currently there as I said are still a few minor issues with "real" webOS devices, is however worked. I get a real video yet soon sent so that you can convince you yourself. For me anyway, it all sounds very very exciting! And Yes, that should run on webOS smartphones.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 06:22 AM   #357 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post

[...] a day after pharmacist buried the webOS devices take place on August 19 [...]
ROFL

Epic proofreadng skillz, lol... never trust a machine
Old 01/17/2013, 06:41 AM   #358 (permalink)

Well to be fair it was just a quick translation from the dutch interview using Bing, I don't speak dutch so proof reading would have been futile.
I'm sure people got the gist.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 07:16 AM   #359 (permalink)

Apotheker = pharmacist

I see where this is coming from! Excellent logic engine :-)
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 07:19 AM   #360 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
What did you translate from? It looks like you have translated the old article from one year ago (look at the date):
Dank openmobile bald Android-Apps nativ unter webOS möglich | webOS Blog

The new info I've seen on Twitter and Facebook only (see the links in my post).
Thanked By: johncc

Tags
android apps, openmobile, touchpad apps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0