webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > OpenMobile update!!!
OpenMobile update!!!
Like Tree279Likes

Old 12/19/2012, 03:40 PM   #321 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizetteC View Post
If you look at Open Mobile's...

There was never any real indication that they would be selling any software to end users....
No indication?

Here's 5 of them from OpenMobileWW.com

There are more. I simply got tired of clipping them out. Users of MeeGo, Tizen, Linux desktop editions, etc can all air the same grievance. They "promised" lots and have delivered nothing so far.

Show us one device - just one - that is out in the wild with OpenMobile's ACL on board. Don't count the proof of concept devices at various events.

They have not delivered to one consumer as of yet.

They have not delivered to any OEM so far that we know of.

To state that: "There was never any real indication that they would be selling any software to end users...." is being just as disingenuous as they have been up to this point...

Their web site is filled with claims that they can accomplish putting Android compatibility onto virtually any device - for an OEM or an individual user. Where is the proof they can accomplish it with stability for even one device, let alone a whole platform?

They do not need apologists, they need to be held accountable for false advertising.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary, k4ever and geekpeter like this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 12/19/2012, 05:58 PM   #322 (permalink)

Held accountable?.......How about just forgetting about them? They seem like to like attention....take it away.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 06:22 PM   #323 (permalink)

I wonder about Myriad's dalvik implementation, if that's easier for an OEM to license than to wait for OpenMobile.. their Turbo Dalvik for Android sounds interesting as well... (Myriad Group - Myriad Dalvik Turbo)

Last edited by Remy X; 12/19/2012 at 06:42 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 11:04 AM   #324 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizetteC View Post
If you look at Open Mobile's blog posts (OpenMobile | Smartphones, Tablets, eReaders, Connected TVs, Connected Cars), including yesterdays entries, they are clearly focused on selling their Android app-running technology to companies that operate Linux-based platforms devices including in-vehicle infotainment systems.

There was never any real indication that they would be selling any software to end users.
And guess what? They still haven't released anything for any of them. And the MeeGo community, who were promised this first for their platform (months before webOS was on the radar) with the promise that they'd be able to run ACL on their phones--not infotainment systems--still hasn't seen anything.

At one point, after they heard that webOS was supposed to receive the ACL, a good number of folks in the MeeGo community forums kinda rolled their eyes and chuckled. They've seen through the OpenMobile crap long ago already.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 03:26 PM   #325 (permalink)

Hi everyone - Anita from OpenMobile here! Just getting ready to head to Vegas - If any of you will be at CES be sure to stop by OpenMobile's booth (LVCC South Hall 4 Booth #35458) and introduce yourself to me.
AnitaOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 03:35 PM   #326 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
Hi everyone - Anita from OpenMobile here! Just getting ready to head to Vegas - If any of you will be at CES be sure to stop by OpenMobile's booth (LVCC South Hall 4 Booth #35458) and introduce yourself to me.
Will you be demoing ACL on webOS?
Old 01/04/2013, 04:09 PM   #327 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
Will you be demoing ACL on webOS?

another ACL soon(tm) update.
Old 01/04/2013, 05:06 PM   #328 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
Click to view quoted image

Seriously, Derek or anyone else going to be at CES who can go by and um, visit?
Thanked By: AnitaOM
Old 01/04/2013, 05:10 PM   #329 (permalink)

Quote:

Seriously, Derek or anyone else going to be at CES who can go by and um, visit?
Definitely a good chance to do some live heckling. I'm not convinced they will ever actually launch a product on any OS. They are just a demo company.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 and Remy X like this.
Old 01/04/2013, 05:26 PM   #330 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

Where's the LOVE button? LOL

Oh Anita, you're quite comical. I sure hope some of our members pay you a visit and check out your wares, and come back with bright, smiling faces and spread the good word of how great your product looks and works. Maybe some pictures of your new offices you were talking about.

Kind of like the company I work for, barely turning a profit, most of our accounts are closed because the bills aren't paid. We just moved into a massive building, the office staff have brand new desks, yet when we're trying to buy parts, to fix equipment, to get the equipment running, so the equipment can start making money, so the company can start making a profit......we have to wait until a credit card clears for $100.....lol. It's hilarious in a black-comedy sort of way

(But I'm still getting paid, so I'm hanging in there......spring thaw really can't come soon enough)

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath....I started breathing a long time ago.....but to see something actually materialize other than lip service, would be nothing short of remarkable! Best of luck in your endeavors
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter and AnitaOM like this.
Old 01/04/2013, 07:21 PM   #331 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure the only announcement OpenMobile will ever actually deliver upon, is when they file for administration.

It's just so typical of how they operate that just as another CES rolls around, so do the empty promises and self-promoting posts from OpenMobile. Does anyone still take them seriously? They've burned through most communities, I can't imagine any vendor would want to touch them with a barge pole. Jolla obviously didn't, as they're doing their business with Myriad, and thank God for that.

Unfortunately it came as absolutely no surprise that the Q3/2012 OpenMobile promise to the WebOS community would turn out to be completely empty. It's sad to see a company doing this to a community that needs all the breaks it can get (though when even OpenWebOS won't run on Touchpads and other old but still viable WebOS hardware, you have to wonder if the lunatics are now running this particular asylum - that decision, for me, was the coffin lid going on with the screws being tightened down).

OpenMobile seem to be a company in denial, I just wonder how long can they continue to peddle their lies - surely the money must run out eventually?
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 01:54 PM   #332 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
The Emperor's New Apps
with apologies to Hans Christian Anderson

Once upon a time there lived a vain Emperor whose only worry in life was to collect Apps and mobile devices. He changed phones almost every hour and loved to show them off to his people.

Word of the Emperor's refined habits spread over his kingdom and beyond. Two scoundrels who had heard of the Emperor's vanity decided to take advantage of it. They introduced themselves at the gates of the palace with a scheme in mind.

"We are two very good programmers and after many years of research we have invented an extraordinary method to place any App Store on any device and make it work invisibly. As a matter of fact it even appears invisible to anyone who is too stupid and incompetent to appreciate its quality."

The chief of the guards heard the scoundrel's strange story and sent for the court chamberlain. The chamberlain notified the prime minister, who ran to the Emperor and disclosed the incredible news. The Emperor's curiosity got the better of him and he decided to see the two scoundrels.

"Besides being invisible, your Highness, this Application Compatibility Layer will be available from manufacturers or can be directly downloaded to any device you choose." The emperor gave the two men a bag of gold coins in exchange for their promise to begin working on their ACL immediately.

"Just tell us what you need to get started and we'll give it to you." The two scoundrels asked for a staff budget, shiny new offices and booth reservations at every successive CES and then pretended to begin working. The Emperor thought he had spent his money quite well: in addition to getting new Apps, he would discover which of his subjects were ignorant and incompetent. A few days later, he called the old and wise prime minister, who was considered by everyone as a man with common sense.

"Go and see how the work is proceeding," the Emperor told him, "and come back to let me know."

The prime minister was welcomed by the two scoundrels.

"We're almost finished, but we need you to test this demo we have prepared for the next CES. Here, Excellency! Admire the Apps that wouldn't play on this device previously, play some of the games!" The old man bent over the MeeGo phone and tried to see the Apps that were not there. He felt cold sweat on his forehead.

"I can't see anything," he thought. "If I see nothing, that means I'm stupid! Or, worse, incompetent!" If the prime minister admitted that he didn't see anything, he would be discharged from his office.

"What a marvelous selection of Apps", he said then. "I'll certainly tell the Emperor." The two scoundrels rubbed their hands gleefully. They had almost made it. More staff was requested to finish the work.

Finally, the Emperor received the announcement that the two programmers had made enough progress to install ACL on his most favored device.

"Come in," the Emperor ordered. Even as they bowed, the two scoundrels pretended to be playing incompatible Apps on outdated platforms.

"Here it is your Highness, the result of our labour," the scoundrels said. "We have worked night and day but, at last, the most bountiful App Store in the world is ready for you. Look at all the Apps and test them to verify how seamlessly they work." Of course the Emperor did not see any Apps and could not load any for testing. He panicked and felt like fainting. But luckily the throne was right behind him and he sat down. But when he realized that no one could know that he did not see the Apps, he felt better. Nobody could find out he was stupid and incompetent. And the Emperor didn't know that everybody else around him thought and did the very same thing.

The farce continued as the two scoundrels had foreseen it. Once they had seen the Emperor pretending to use Apps on his Tizen developer phone, the two began creating tethered mockups of ACL running on an infotainment system for automobiles.

"Your Highness, you'll have to let us load ACL on all your devices." The two scoundrels ooohed and aaahed over all the Emperor's devices as they pretended to download and open Apps. The Emperor was embarrassed but since none of his bystanders were, he felt relieved.

"Yes, this is a wonderful bounty of Apps and they all work flawlessly," the Emperor said trying to look comfortable. "You've done a fine job."

"Your Majesty," the prime minister said, "we have a request for you. The people have found out about this extraordinary ACL and they are anxious to download it for themselves." The Emperor was doubtful showing his lack of Google Play access to the people, but then he abandoned his fears. After all, no one would doubt it except the ignorant and the incompetent.

"All right," he said. "I will grant the people this privilege." He opened a website and proclaimed ACL ready for OEMs and direct consumer download. A group of dignitaries "downloaded" the very first copies of ACL and anxiously scrutinized the faces of the people in the street. All the people had gathered in the main square, pushing and shoving to get a better look. An applause welcomed the regal procession. Everyone wanted to know how stupid or incompetent his or her neighbor was but, as the Emperor passed, a strange murmur rose from the crowd.

Everyone said, loud enough for the others to hear: "Look at the Emperor's new Apps. They're so plentiful."

"What a marvellous ACL!"

"And the variety! The effortless interfacing! I have never seen anything like it in my life!" They all tried to conceal their disappointment at not being able to download from Google Play, and since nobody was willing to admit his own stupidity and incompetence, they all behaved as the two scoundrels had predicted.

A child, however, who had no important job and could only see things as his eyes showed them to him, went up to the procession.

"The Emperor has no Fruit Ninja," he said.

"Fool!" his father reprimanded, running after him. "Don't talk nonsense!" He grabbed his child and took him away. But the boy's remark, which had been heard by the bystanders, was repeated over and over again until everyone cried:

"The boy is right! The Emperor has no Fruit Ninja! It's true!"

The Emperor realized that the people were right but could not admit to that. He though it better to continue the procession under the illusion that anyone who couldn't see his App access was either stupid or incompetent. And he stood stiffly on his carriage, while behind him a page held his still limited devices.

Best of luck, Anita, to you and all @openmobileww during CES 2013.

Last edited by RumoredNow; 01/06/2013 at 11:18 AM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, cujoq37, brandongoeszoom and 8 others like this.
Old 01/08/2013, 02:14 PM   #333 (permalink)

OpenMobile is at CES today, and I've been pestering them over Twitter, but no news about ACL for webOS yet.
Chris Dominowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by AnitaOM likes this.
Old 01/08/2013, 02:17 PM   #334 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

perhaps soon we don't need it to try android on webos:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-app-pre3.html
gizmo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 02:29 PM   #335 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dominowski View Post
OpenMobile is at CES today, and I've been pestering them over Twitter, but no news about ACL for webOS yet.
They keep tweeting about the booth, is anybody there who can go see the Emperor's Apps?
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/08/2013, 02:36 PM   #336 (permalink)

Quote:
They keep tweeting about the booth, is anybody there who can go see the Emperor's Apps?
Yeah, asking them in person would be much more effective.
Chris Dominowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/08/2013, 05:12 PM   #337 (permalink)

Haha! Lmfao

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
HondaPixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 05:41 PM   #338 (permalink)

My hope is that they officially declare it dead so everyone will drop it!
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
Old 01/08/2013, 05:57 PM   #339 (permalink)

If anyone is at CES, look for OpenMobile's booth. It's easy to find - it looks like this:

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0, Jimbode, jcmarcos and 2 others like this.
Old 01/08/2013, 06:33 PM   #340 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
If anyone is at CES, look for OpenMobile's booth. It's easy to find - it looks like this:

is that their mystical tablet at the far back in the hands of the dood with his back to us?? clearly has a device but doesnt want to show us.

Tags
android apps, openmobile, touchpad apps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0