webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > OpenMobile update!!!
OpenMobile update!!!
Like Tree279Likes

Old 11/22/2012, 10:50 PM   #301 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Only if they end up using some facilities that are not available in webOS 3 (or 2), but are in Open. Being that much of Open webOS development is .. uh.. Open, I am comfortable working on the assumption that at this moment, it's more likely they are working on 3.0.5 than on Open. Assuming, of course, that they are actually working on this.
And therein lies the real question of whether this is still being developed or not. :S
Chris Dominowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 04:33 AM   #302 (permalink)

Wouldn't have been much reason to post here if they weren't.

To the point of Open Mobile having a negative effect on webos app development it can't get much more negative than it is now. Many Touchpad users that have Androidified their TPs will come back with the best of both worlds.

Maybe not a big positive effect but I don't see it hurting.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
starbuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 05:09 AM   #303 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

In the short term, it would have a minor positive effect, but in the long term, I think that it would create the OS/2 effect all over again -- if the performance is reasonable, there'd be little to no reason whatsoever to write something webOS specific, or even to bring in a generic web-app, because you can just write it for android.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 05:11 AM   #304 (permalink)

I asked the question a while ago weather open WebOS would be ported to the Touchpad , got the answer that that there is little point.
If ACL Is only available on OpenWebOS will that spur devs on to port Open WebOS to Touchpad and Pre/2/3 and Veer.
I hope so.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 06:15 AM   #305 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
In the short term, it would have a minor positive effect, but in the long term, I think that it would create the OS/2 effect all over again -- if the performance is reasonable, there'd be little to no reason whatsoever to write something webOS specific, or even to bring in a generic web-app, because you can just write it for android.
The difference would be that WebOS would be (subjectively) a more pleasant OS for users. So you may end up with a growing base of users but the apps still being developed for Android. This would be better than the situation now where the OS user base is dwindling fast.

If this were to happen you would effectively end up with Open WebOS as a deep skin for Android. Maybe not ideal but it may be something a lot of people would welcome and, let's face it, we don't have many straws to grasp at any more.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 06:41 AM   #306 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

At best, HP/gram and LG kicked in a few $ to get ACL ready for LG's new webOS powered Smart TV project.
This is the only "realistic" scenario ....and I use that term very loosely..... that I can half-believe. They missed the boat, if there ever was a boat, for making it available to "current" devices.

Also on that note...I really haven't looked into SmartTVs too much, I've seen the ads here and there on TV....specifically the Samsung TV. It looks like it's all voice controlled. I didn't see too much in the way of actual use, but I'm starting to wonder, aside from maybe carrying over your apps from your TouchPad/Pre etc....I'm wondering what advantages webOS on TV would have? The main "selling point" has always been synergy, multitasking, etc. Synergy is no longer a webOS exclusive, aside from the name. If multitasking on a SmartTV is as easy as saying the name of the app you want to use, where does that leave us?

This leaves the only reason to buy a LG webOS TV so you can bring the apps you have bought over the past years on to your new TV. With few active developers, currently....why should I or anyone....drop $1000(ballpark figure) on a TV with an uncertain future? I've already played this game before, and I've bought my fair share...and then some of apps.

It's hard to judge/gauge a product that is basically at a "leaked-rumor" stage, so maybe in the future there'll be some light shed on the subject. I'm not currently in the market for a first-gen SmartTV anyway, although possibly just a new HDTV. Time will tell, I suppose.

Last edited by sledge007; 11/23/2012 at 06:59 AM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 02:01 PM   #307 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
This is the only "realistic" scenario ....and I use that term very loosely..... that I can half-believe. They missed the boat, if there ever was a boat, for making it available to "current" devices.
Right as rain. Why continue developing for a dwindling market that might bring in $2-$5 per user? The door is closed on legacy and ACL so far as I can see.

OpenMobileWW has a strategy of marketing to OEM's of non-Android devices so far as I can tell from their site. Sales directly to individual users seems to be a side concern and an afterthought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Also on that note...I really haven't looked into SmartTVs too much, I've seen the ads here and there on TV....specifically the Samsung TV. It looks like it's all voice controlled. I didn't see too much in the way of actual use, but I'm starting to wonder, aside from maybe carrying over your apps from your TouchPad/Pre etc....I'm wondering what advantages webOS on TV would have? The main "selling point" has always been synergy, multitasking, etc. Synergy is no longer a webOS exclusive, aside from the name. If multitasking on a SmartTV is as easy as saying the name of the app you want to use, where does that leave us?

This leaves the only reason to buy a LG webOS TV so you can bring the apps you have bought over the past years on to your new TV. With few active developers, currently....why should I or anyone....drop $1000(ballpark figure) on a TV with an uncertain future? I've already played this game before, and I've bought my fair share...and then some of apps.

It's hard to judge/gauge a product that is basically at a "leaked-rumor" stage, so maybe in the future there'll be some light shed on the subject. I'm not currently in the market for a first-gen SmartTV anyway, although possibly just a new HDTV. Time will tell, I suppose.
I have the Roku XS set top box. It's not so much "smart TV" as it is "streaming TV." You can subscribe to Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Video, etc. It is built mostly for static viewing of channels and there is no real, internet interfacing. It does have some games (mostly all are purchase options). The remote has an accelerometer built in. I have played Angry Birds on it. Crude, but acceptable. The Roku remote needs some refinement to help catapult it into the realm of "smart." Here is what the Roku XS remote looks like:

Vizio has a new set top box named Co Star with web browsing and select Google Play Apps. This is what their remote looks like:

If LG/gram can bring OpenwebOS to a TV that delivers synergy, web access, cards with gestures... AND ACL that would be something. They need a full QWERTY and accelerometer enabled remote. Gestures with a remote "pointer" are acceptable. I do it now on my Win 8 laptop without touch. People ***** about touch gestures via mouse, but I have taken to it. It isn't bad at all. Just takes a small bit of patience to learn. I feel it has increased my multitasking ability and speed... (...whatever, end rant, different debate, etc...)

If the LG/gram TV experience delivers eMail, Calendar, Contacts all backed up and deployable under your Profile to sync to/from mobile devices... If it delivers full web browsing... If it delivers Roku style programmable channels with options for Developers to create and add channels to the main store or through "private" password enabled install (like Roku does)... If they throw in a huge App store courtesy of ACL upon launch...

Now imagine that gram has seen what LunaCE did for Cards and they replicate that. Throw in Skype Video calling, Pandora or Tune in Times...

All in cards. Make a killer remote.

Now on TV:

Card open to Amazon, Card open to eBay - stacked.

Card open to monitor eMail account, Card Open to Calendar (the alarm has gone off, it is Grandma's birthday) - stacked

Card open to webOS Nation where you are signed in.

Card open to the Football game.

Make those mini-cards on the margin. In the main Card, the kids are Skype calling Grandma to sing "Happy Birthday" to her.

When the Skype call ends you grab the Football game and throw that card into focus. During the commercial you can shop Amazon or look at some webOS Nation posts and decide that you need to call out RumoredNow for being stupid... Or open up the Pizza Place website and order dinner. Maybe you want to call them. No worries, their # is stored in your contacts. Do a Just Type search to call it up from Contacts and send the # to your cell phone where it auto-dials.

After the game, relax and play some video games you installed from Google Play earlier that day.

Maybe I'm dreaming. Maybe LG/gram won't make it that slick.

Sure would be nice.

I'd buy one...

Last edited by RumoredNow; 11/23/2012 at 02:13 PM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 and Vistaus like this.
Thanked by sledge007, Vistaus
Old 11/27/2012, 02:54 PM   #308 (permalink)

That vizio remote reminds me of the one that comes with the Boxee IIRC
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 12:18 PM   #309 (permalink)

Ok so I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about OpenMobile and their software ACL running on a webOS device? I recently did a search online and I came across this site: Who is OpenMobile? And what do they do? | TechFanatiX

It's funny how they say on their statement that ACL is currently avaiable for download and in working status on our beloved webOS...did I miss something on my HP catalog that I haven't seen?

Founded in 2010 by seasoned compatibility experts, OpenMobile is on a mission to deliver a 100% compatible and highly performant apps ecosystem to every mobile platform on the planet. This seminal idea and our compelling products have the power to change the trajectory of the global mobile marketplace. Consumers do not want a connected device that doesn’t provide a wide array of their favorite apps, and with OpenMobile they will never have this problem. OpenMobile World Wide Inc. is the developer of a game-changing technology known as Application Compatibility Layer (ACL™). ACL is the technology that enables the Android App ecosystem to run seamlessly on any operating system and any device. ACL transparently ports the Android run-time to a mobile device’s native operating system, enabling the 400,000+ Android Apps to run alongside native apps in the target operating system. OpenMobile’s ACL for is designed for both OEMs and consumers. ACL technology was created for Smartphones, Tablets, and Connected TVs, as well as for In-Vehicle Infotainment Systems (IVIs) and In-Flight Infotainment solutions. OEMs in the mobile device industry can embed ACL on their devices and ship with a full Android App ecosystem from day one. Today ACL is available for Tizen, MeeGo, Linux, WebOS and Windows based devices. Additional versions of OpenMobile’s ACL will be coming soon. Consumers have the ability to download ACL for specific, supported devices already in the marketplace. ACL gives OEMs, Carriers and consumers the power to choose – any device, any operating system Most recently at the Tizen Developers Conference in San Francisco, OpenMobile demonstrated Android apps performing seamlessly on a Tizen tablet.
exeicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 02:04 PM   #310 (permalink)

available to just themselves perhaps, but to us..... sadly no
Old 12/18/2012, 02:32 PM   #311 (permalink)

Hmm the only other place I see that sentence "Today ACL is available for Tizen, MeeGo, Linux, WebOS and Windows based devices" is on some LinkedIn product page.

Application Compatibility Layer (ACL)&#x2122; | LinkedIn

I don't even know if that is under Openmobile's actual company profile or if it's a fake. Could be put together by a fan I suppose. I don't see any press release mentioning this anywhere.

I would love to know more about what they mean by "Today" and "available"

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 02:44 PM   #312 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Stacking up all their press releases side by side with the ZERO number of releases to OEM hardware or consumer direct downloads...

It's hard to tell if they are puffing hot air or something else...

Proof of concept Alphas don't count as available.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 03:07 PM   #313 (permalink)

What if they are maybe keeping it in secret mode and might do a massive release right after CES 2013??!
Now that I think about it, on that statement they mentioned it being available and working for webOS already, which it could be true, maybe on BETA but almost ready to be released and work as smooth as butter. They didn't specify having it avaiable for the public...yet although, it could be downloadable to OEM companies for them to use on their new products/devices. Perhaps once they finalize their "now ready product" and fully functioning software in this CES 2013 they will make available for the masses...who knows!?

Let's really hope and keep our fingers crossed!! This will be for real the resurrection to webOS. It will be just a matter of time before a company will pick up the hardware manufacturing tail of it and continue it and then BAM! the power of PALM again!!
exeicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 03:10 PM   #314 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeicker View Post
What if they are maybe keeping it in secret mode and might do a massive release right after CES 2013??!
Now that I think about it, on that statement they mentioned it being available and working for webOS already, which it could be true, maybe on BETA but almost ready to be released and work as smooth as butter. They didn't specify having it avaiable for the public...yet although, it could be downloadable to OEM companies for them to use on their new products/devices. Perhaps once they finalize their "now ready product" and fully functioning software in this CES 2013 they will make available for the masses...who knows!?

Let's really hope and keep our fingers crossed!! This will be for real the resurrection to webOS. It will be just a matter of time before a company will pick up the hardware manufacturing tail of it and continue it and then BAM! the power of PALM again!!
they have said the same things for other OS well before webOS and those are still in limbo, it will just be marketing hype in the hope that someone picks them up.

to be honest tho i think only companies that have screwed up like HP would need this product, its useless to the "top" companies as they will have a stance similar to sony with their vita/ps3/psp etc, as in they dont want you playing what you already own, what they want is for you to buy NEW stuff so its probably likely many dont have an interest in ACL.
Old 12/18/2012, 08:55 PM   #315 (permalink)

Considering the first mention of this was on 22 February 2012...Post #1 of this thread....and it was "promised"....using that term extremely loosely.....to be available for the end of Q3, and nothing more than lip service was delivered.....I wouldn't get all that excited about it. The hardware has aged...not saying it doesn't work for people.. there is no hardware up and coming, if there was there would be FCC testing leaks, or carrier codename leaks, etc...I can't see this being the magical resurrection that you're wishing for. Even if a company were to spontaneously decide to start building a webOS device...of any sort....these things take time, take testing, take approvals etc, etc.

Supposedly HP worked on 6 different prototype phones during the course of the takeover and when they finally cut the cord. They only released the Veer...to small fanfare...and the Pre3 was out for what.....two days in Europe, with no release anywhere else? And that was over the course of roughly a year.

That leaves the only people remotely interested in ACL are the dwindling population of current webOS device users. If they were planning a "massive" and "super-secret" post-CES2013 release....don't you think it would be in their best interests to let us know....let us see it actually working? We're talking about the people that would be potential buyers of this product. Instead they keep it all secret and hush-hush....meanwhile people are resigning new contracts....Christmas is coming up and people are out getting new phones for gifts.

If that's their plan.....it's going to be too little, too late.....Sort of like the end of January release for BB10.

My two cents.
Old 12/18/2012, 11:57 PM   #316 (permalink)
Banned

The problem is that a majority of people around here grasped onto the promise of ACL without doing their due diligence on OpenMobile and the lack of actual product delivered the the first platforms they promised ACL to. And then, denial and more grasping at the words contained in meaningless "updates" from OpenMobile. And, finally, realization and disappointment.

These are the kinds of things that silently eat away at a community: Overblown expectations, whether they're coming from a third-party vendor making promises or even others around here being hopelessly optimistic (and revving others to follow suit) instead of letting real, tangible actions do the talking.

When the results (or lack thereof) don't come anywhere close to the emotional investment users put into their expectations, most of them end up in the "Well, it's time to leave webOS" camp before long. Look at some where some of the biggest individual cheerleaders of webOS here and on Twitter, etc, have gone: Supernova'd and moved on.

tl;dr: Believe it when you see it and not a moment prior.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 01:01 AM   #317 (permalink)

Possibly, but so far everything about the company is vaporware - even the elusive Android app. To me, it sounds like they couldn't fulfill the promises made to get Android apps running on non-Android phones, and are now looking at a smaller market of trying to sell to auto-makers by promising to get those apps running on vehicle systems. Maybe I'm jaded, but until I see a real, working product (of any type) from them I'll just ignore the promises and look to real-world stuff.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 12/19/2012, 01:01 AM   #318 (permalink)

Possibly, but so far everything about the company is vaporware - even the elusive Android app. To me, it sounds like they couldn't fulfill the promises made to get Android apps running on non-Android phones, and are now looking at a smaller market of trying to sell to auto-makers by promising to get those apps running on vehicle systems. Maybe I'm jaded, but until I see a real, working product (of any type) from them I'll just ignore the promises and look to real-world stuff.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 09:21 AM   #319 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@sledge: What do you mean no leaks recently? Did you miss the leaked HP Bender?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 09:27 AM   #320 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
@sledge: What do you mean no leaks recently? Did you miss the leaked HP Bender?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I was referring to an actual webOS phone. Is that not supposed to be an Android? If they are making an Android phone, that kind of defeats the purpose of ACL.

Last edited by sledge007; 12/19/2012 at 10:14 AM.
Liked by dignitary likes this.

Tags
android apps, openmobile, touchpad apps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0